Author Topic: Motor way noise  (Read 4578 times)

Jazz03

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2003
Motor way noise
« on: September 14, 2020, 12:18:56 PM »
hi everyone

Wondering if anyone experienced motor way cabin noise and pressure. Feels like I'm in airplane about to take off.

I just got 2017 jazz exnavi and the noise is unbearable. I measured it using an app in my phone cane to 85 decibels

Is it a common issue. ? Car is done only 14000 miles.

Tried to lock and unlock the ac vent but still the same issue.

Current tyres are 3 dunlop sp sport 2030  and one is hankook they all look new.

Thanks

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Motor way noise
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 02:45:28 PM »
Are you sure all the windows are fully closed?  I find mine is quite a reasonable noise level at 65 mph; the noise is mainly from the tyres and varies a lot with the road surface.

Jazz03

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 03:22:06 PM »
Yes they are fully closed. Im thinking to replace the tyres.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 04:06:59 PM »
I recently got a CVT and on the Open Road they rev at such low revs that the road noise becomes a lot more apparent because there's virtually no engine or transmission noise to mask it.

I have actually just replaced all my tyres with Goodyear Efficient Grip and I thought I had been sold duds because of the relative road noise compared to my previous Honda CRV, then I realised what I posted in the previous paragraph.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »
Virtually the only noise audible in my Mk1 Jazz is tyre noise. Even at motorway speed, the engine is barely audible, but the tyre noise varies dramatically with different road surfaces. They have recently resurfaced sections of the A92 near me with an almost silent road surface. It is wonderful.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 06:46:09 PM »
sometimes the road surface can make even the mitchelin tires sound like an old mini gearbox whine and then on other surfaces it is quieter

Jazz03

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 06:55:23 PM »
Its just crazy noisy feels pressure in my ears like airplane landing particularly in bad roads. Miss my old jazz  2003 no noise whatsoever

Feels like cabin pressure will have to sort it ASAP 

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 07:29:37 PM »
also the doors sometime make noise near the top when the car flexes and moves the rubber seals about, usually after the car has been left for a few days outside and it goes away after a while

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 08:52:51 PM »
I can’t believe you are showing a reading of 85Db, that is loud! In fact it is the legal limit for noise in a factory environment.
Are you sure your Device is reading correctly?
I have a sound level meter and will check out my Mk3 CVT within the next couple days and report back.

Regarding the air pressure, are you sure the vents at rear of the car (I think behind the rear bumper) are not blocked, which would result in pressure build up?

Jazz03

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 10:00:18 PM »
I can’t believe you are showing a reading of 85Db, that is loud! In fact it is the legal limit for noise in a factory environment.
Are you sure your Device is reading correctly?
I have a sound level meter and will check out my Mk3 CVT within the next couple days and report back.

Regarding the air pressure, are you sure the vents at rear of the car (I think behind the rear bumper) are not blocked, which would result in pressure build up?

Thank you so much yes I used my mobile phone. I will check that vent. Didn't know there is vent at rear.

Looking forward to hearing your reading.

How do u unlock the rear vent ?

Thank you

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 10:57:11 PM »
Not sure of the exact design, but it is normally a small grill in the bodywork  both sides, with possibly a one way valve, which allows air out, but stops dirt etc coming in.
This allows the pressure build up from the air con or blower, to dissipate back to atmosphere.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 07:34:41 AM »
Its just crazy noisy feels pressure in my ears like airplane landing particularly in bad roads. Miss my old jazz  2003 no noise whatsoever

Feels like cabin pressure will have to sort it ASAP 
This all sounds very strange. Like most small cars, the Jazz is noisy at speed because of the limited space available to fit sound-deadening, it’s mostly tyre and wind noise, but it’s tolerable and nothing like the OP describes. Certainly a 2017 model shouldn’t be radically worse than a 2003 car.

Are you absolutely certain that one of the windows isn’t open slightly? On some cars you can get an aerodynamic resonance phenomenon inside the cabin with a window open at speed. It’s exactly like blowing across the top of a bottle, or playing a flute. The result is a very strong pulsating pressure inside which can be loud and physically uncomfortable. Solution is to close the window, even moving it up or down a few cm can change the noise, or opening a second window sometimes disrupts the resonance.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
I would agree with Colin, check all 4 windows are fully closed. It may be a very small gap can make a loud noise as your speed increases.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 09:16:44 AM »
When I got a Mk 3 loaner while my Mk 1 was having the airbags replaced, I was delighted by how much quieter than the Mk 1 it was.
Jazz03: Was it okay on the test drive?

Jazz03

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 10:04:13 AM »
In the test drive i drove it with radio on and locally not on motorway. Just spoke with dealer they will book it to get it checked. Otherwise if I decide to return the car I am loose 1500 pounds. Or I may have option to exchange within 30 days only if there is mechanical fault.

Will see hoe it gos. But yes surly my 03 jazz so quite no pressure inside cabin. I will try to upload the recording of the noise so you guys can tell.

Tags:

anything