Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 693754 times)

guest5079

Re: Electric cars
« Reply #885 on: March 28, 2018, 10:21:33 AM »
I am sorry to post with half a story BUT it seems there was a survey amongst the employees in the car industry and a large number stated they would never buy an electric car. Perhaps this is job protection but it is surprising never the less. One would assume they have been told that they would be building them after the ICE is banned.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #886 on: March 28, 2018, 12:34:34 PM »
I am sorry to post with half a story BUT it seems there was a survey amongst the employees in the car industry and a large number stated they would never buy an electric car. Perhaps this is job protection but it is surprising never the less. One would assume they have been told that they would be building them after the ICE is banned.

I can see why they might want to give BEV / autonomous cars a miss....  Tesla share prices take another hit.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-tesla-fire-20180327-story.html

quotes from another article

With traffic seemingly easing a bit, I let the autopilot take over again, then decide to flip the right-turn signal, testing Tesla’s “automatic lane change” feature. As the car ahead of me in the middle lane brakes, the Model S brakes gently and eases into the right lane … and then keeps bearing to the right, edging ever closer to the concrete wall that marks the freeway’s far right boundary. In an instant, my faith falters, and I grab the wheel and jerk it away from the barrier. Phew. In retrospect, that may not have been necessary. At that point on the West Side Highway, the road lacks painted boundaries, which the autopilot system typically relies on for lane-keeping. Instead, the highway is bounded only by concrete barriers. To a human, it’s obvious what the concrete signifies. Not so for a computer vision system that is still in its infancy and hasn’t been specifically trained to recognize walls as such.
  :o

In practice, however, Tesla’s autopilot doesn’t just complement the efforts of the human drivers who use it—it alters their behavior. It strengthens the temptation to check your email while stuck in traffic. It might even be the thing that convinces a drunk person at a party to go ahead and try to drive home.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:53:40 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #887 on: March 28, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »
The item in question was attributed to the Institute for the Motor Industry (IMI), which has this on its website:
https://www.theimi.org.uk/news/drivers-blame-absent-charging-points-and-lack-information-not-switching-electric
It appears to have been a survey of the general public, not industry professionals.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #888 on: March 29, 2018, 09:50:03 AM »
The item I heard and only listened to at the end, inferred it was the actual car workers. However that point has now been clarified.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #889 on: April 04, 2018, 06:53:28 PM »
Tesla share price lowest in seven years, company still burning through a billion dollars a quarter.  Tesla announce recall of over 123,000 model S due to power steering fault.

With Tesla the wheels could come off at any time (and they do).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #890 on: April 04, 2018, 09:11:48 PM »
Tesla announce recall of over 123,000 model S due to power steering fault.
I have been watching for something on this thread and sure enough, here it is. I just have to bite. The failure is a failure of bolts on the power steering as supplied by Bosch. Bosch will be footing the bill. Any other vehicle fitted with the same Bosch part are also at risk. Blaming Tesla is like blaming Honda for the failure of the airbags supplied by Takata. The recall was made, voluntarily, by Tesla. Their recall record is better than most car makers.

https://qz.com/1243140/teslas-recall-record-is-better-than-most-major-car-companies/

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #891 on: April 04, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »
Just reeling in now ......

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #892 on: April 17, 2018, 03:57:53 PM »
I read that Tesla has stopped production of the Model 3.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/tesla-temporarily-stops-model-3-production-line/articleshow/63793221.cms
Either a wise move or the beginning of the end!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #893 on: April 18, 2018, 10:37:20 PM »
According to this report, Tesla are gearing up for 7 day 24 hours operations.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/17/tesla-model-3-production-goal-6000-units-per-week/

Interesting times ahead...

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #894 on: April 19, 2018, 03:14:08 PM »
As Tesla never meet their goals and divert attention for the persistent failures  by issuing press releases, I would take ANYTHING Tesla announce announce after a another high profile failure as bull excrement to divert attention.. (it seems to work)

Last time is was an electric lorry..etc..

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #895 on: April 20, 2018, 09:15:01 AM »
This morning in Gloucestershire thick fog. My Jazz dipped headlights, intermittent wipers and no I didn't use rear fog as a Nissan Leaf was close behind. I saw 3 Nissan Leafs in the 17 mile journey, none had lights on apart from the daytime running lights so no rear lights. The leaf following me had an invisible driver, he did one wipe in 10 miles (that I could see) and disappeared from view behind the buildup of moisture on his windscreen. I confess I was unnerved, the only saving grace was the front car in a series of about 10 (convoy) was only doing about 30mph. I understand battery saving but these EV drivers are acting in a very irresponsible manner not using lights in fog.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #896 on: April 20, 2018, 03:19:12 PM »
This morning in Gloucestershire thick fog. My Jazz dipped headlights, intermittent wipers and no I didn't use rear fog as a Nissan Leaf was close behind. I saw 3 Nissan Leafs in the 17 mile journey, none had lights on apart from the daytime running lights so no rear lights. The leaf following me had an invisible driver, he did one wipe in 10 miles (that I could see) and disappeared from view behind the buildup of moisture on his windscreen. I confess I was unnerved, the only saving grace was the front car in a series of about 10 (convoy) was only doing about 30mph. I understand battery saving but these EV drivers are acting in a very irresponsible manner not using lights in fog.

I have noticed a few Nissan Leaf driving around slowly (slowest was 35 in 60 limit main road, slower than the average tractor these days),  can't say I have noticed lack of lights though I have never seen one in fog (most people don't see things in fog, maybe I should look harder when it is foggy ).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #897 on: May 02, 2018, 07:58:47 AM »
Looks like Tesla is about to follow Gibson, if the money men are betting against them.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43966754
I will be sad to see them go. They have driven expectations of what an electric car can deliver.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #898 on: May 02, 2018, 08:54:58 AM »
They have driven expectations of what an electric car can deliver.
That's a debatable point. They have hyped customer expectations through slick PR but been unable to deliver on those promises, and that's what's creating the doom & gloom. I hope they survive too because - if the hype is even halfway correct - the products do seem to be promising. But having a good product is not enough: they, and any successor companies, have to meet their promises of delivery or else the fickle customers will simply go elsewhere. I might rephrase your comment to "They have driven expectations of what a car company can't deliver."

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #899 on: May 02, 2018, 09:09:55 AM »
You have totally grabbed the wrong end of the stick. What I am saying is Tesla has shown that an EV does not have to be a slow "milk float" with a 40 mile range. It is down to Tesla that cars like the Jaguar I-PACE have come along, instead of a stream of TWIZY lookalikes. Tesla has forced the likes of Mercedes Benz and VAG to take EVs seriously.

Tags:

anything