Author Topic: Stop/start switch  (Read 1830 times)

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Stop/start switch
« on: August 02, 2020, 01:40:42 PM »
I had this pop up on my MK3 ex jazz before lockdown. Very annoying and intermittent. The car drove as normal.
So I have managed to get Honda to plug their code reader in and the fault, a faulty stop start switch.
Cost to replace over £400.00!?!??.
The job has been done and an email will soon be on its way to Honda customer services.
The car is 5 years old this October with less than 30,000 miles.
Be warned, all this technology does come at a price.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
Re: Stop/start switch
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 02:11:43 PM »
That's not good. Personally, I would want the old switch back so I could take it apart to find out what went wrong. Good luck with Honda UK, if you have a full Honda service history hopefully they will contribute at the least.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 03:07:38 PM »
More generally it makes you realise that modern cars, although much more reliable, have a very definite shelf life. The amount of expensive tech that is, like everything, subject to entropy, will mean bills that make repair uneconomic. I can't see a modern car replicating, say, the Morris Minor.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 03:17:47 PM »
This is not only a switch, but it has also a radio module to connect with the key knob and an ecu needed to hold this function.
Did they change only this button or also the steer locker?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:31:34 PM by jazzaro »

trebor1652

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 03:37:17 PM »
This is not only a switch, but it has also a radio module to connect with the key knob and an ecu needed to hold this function.
Did they change only this button or also the steer locker?
On the invoice it states "supplied and fitted stop/start switch".
So just the switch.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 09:58:27 PM »
More generally it makes you realise that modern cars, although much more reliable, have a very definite shelf life. The amount of expensive tech that is, like everything, subject to entropy, will mean bills that make repair uneconomic. I can't see a modern car replicating, say, the Morris Minor.
I thought that the Dacia vehicles come close. They have a very good reliability record because there's not much to go wrong. Safety, however, is a matter.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 10:04:27 PM »
Yes - Which make exactly that point. Then there is the Skoda thing - a more reliable brand than VW or Audi despite being in the same stable.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 10:09:14 PM »
Yes - Which make exactly that point. Then there is the Skoda thing - a more reliable brand than VW or Audi despite being in the same stable.
Skodas are mostly bought privately by owners who take care of them and drive them more sensibly than the typically company owned or leased Audi or VW driver as noted by the overtaking lane on the motorway!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 10:51:20 PM »
Skodas are mostly bought privately by owners who take care of them and drive them more sensibly than the typically company owned or leased Audi or VW driver as noted by the overtaking lane on the motorway!
Here, Skodas are the taxi of choice. If it's not a Leaf it is a Skoda.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 09:35:14 AM »

Why are those cars even allowed in the BMW lane ? maybe they are allowed in for short stretches because they are German ? To stay in BMW lane for mile after mile at 90+ you simply have to be a BMW,  those are the rules.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 09:43:37 AM »
I thought that the Dacia vehicles come close. They have a very good reliability record because there's not much to go wrong. Safety, however, is a matter.

Should not be relying too much on vehicle for safety ( that can lead to a feeling of being invulnerable, which leads to risk taking ), the best bit of equipment in a vehicle for avoiding accidents is an attentive driver, driving in a defensive manner......... As I said earlier take all the safety kit out and put a big spike in centre of steering wheel.... it that doesn't make for more careful driving nothing will  :o
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 12:52:07 PM »
wow £400 is a real shock, you are the first person i have heared of having this problem

hope you get some rebate from honda

pity there is no gizmo that can keep it off permenantly like in the F150 pickup in the states

i take it your car is a pre face lift being a 2015/16 ?, the switch is the same though i think on the later facelifted mk3 jazz

it probably wasnt the physical button that went bad but the electronics between the button and the ignition system, so it wouldnt matter how many times you pressed it rather than some electronic falure further in the system

did the screen just flash up with the message and stay there or go away after a while every time?

also do you press it every time like i do, or do you use the system to switch the engine on and off when it wants?

i wish you well and please keep us informed of your progress, good luck!

im sorry i think i made a mistake, i thought you were talking about the switch near the gear shift for auto engine on and off at traffic lights, not the red button to start the car  :-[ having an S model i do like the key to turn it on and off and that is why i chose the S as i hate the extra non essential technology
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:11:01 PM by monkeydave »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 01:01:42 PM »
Push button start switch problems are not unusual in Honda's. That's why there are new switches easily available e.g. in ebay or aliexpress.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 05:24:34 PM »
As I said earlier take all the safety kit out and put a big spike in centre of steering wheel.... it that doesn't make for more careful driving nothing will  :o
That, unfortunately, provides no protection against the idiot coming in the opposite direction on the wrong side of the road unless you ensure that there's also a big spike in the middle of their steering wheel.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: