Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201247 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #510 on: November 07, 2020, 04:33:07 PM »
The UK measurement is Imperial gallons and this is a UK site so yes, Imperial gallons. Don't know why the US went for a different measurement.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #511 on: November 07, 2020, 06:18:55 PM »
The UK measurement is Imperial gallons and this is a UK site so yes, Imperial gallons. Don't know why the US went for a different measurement.
Both of you lot are weird for still using gallons and miles

Either way it's a relief to hear because I was going batty wondering how the hell you guys were getting such beyond incredible fuel economy, that was due to google using Us gallons to make the conversation to the far superior and civilized metric system
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 01:37:36 AM by Jazzmeister »
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #512 on: November 07, 2020, 09:08:40 PM »
We buy our petrol by the litre. One of the hangovers from the Common Market as the EU once was. As gallons got dearer the petrol companies thought litres would fool the UK motorist into thinking it was cheaper.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #513 on: November 08, 2020, 04:56:35 PM »
I looked it up on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon). Seems it all got put into law around the start of the 19th century. The only problem with the civilised and rational metric system is that it was developed by the revolutionary French. Still there were already two different gallons widely used for trade. The US adopted the wine gallon while the British went for the bigger ale gallon. See what a mess you get into making decisions based on national pride  ;).

What's always amazed me is the Americans made it to the moon using miles, inches, foot-pounds of thrust and god know what else to make life extra hard for their human computers. In the 70s when I did my science degree in the UK we were entirely metric. Thank goodness.

Still I have always done baking in ounces and pints. Similarly miles per (imperial) gallon is oddly comforting.

Having logged just over 20,000 miles on Fuelly I'm happy to say my 6 month average is up to 45mpg, 6.28l/100km.
Oddly for the last 3 tanks the dashboard display has agreed very closely with the measured value.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #514 on: November 08, 2020, 05:44:12 PM »
I looked it up on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon). Seems it all got put into law around the start of the 19th century. The only problem with the civilised and rational metric system is that it was developed by the revolutionary French. Still there were already two different gallons widely used for trade. The US adopted the wine gallon while the British went for the bigger ale gallon. See what a mess you get into making decisions based on national pride  ;).

What's always amazed me is the Americans made it to the moon using miles, inches, foot-pounds of thrust and god know what else to make life extra hard for their human computers. In the 70s when I did my science degree in the UK we were entirely metric. Thank goodness.

Still I have always done baking in ounces and pints. Similarly miles per (imperial) gallon is oddly comforting.

Having logged just over 20,000 miles on Fuelly I'm happy to say my 6 month average is up to 45mpg, 6.28l/100km.
Oddly for the last 3 tanks the dashboard display has agreed very closely with the measured value.

Problem with metric system it is too simple, no food for the brain, many of our best scientists bought up on imperial system.  Reason Japanese and Chinese so clever is that their language is so absolutely difficult to learn, likewise  metric system leads to lazy thinking..... just move the decimal point around.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #515 on: November 08, 2020, 08:11:22 PM »
Not just miles. I was brought up on Rods, Chains and Furlongs. My brother spent a summer as a Chain Boy as they built the first section of the M90.

guest4871

« Reply #516 on: November 09, 2020, 01:08:55 PM »

Expanding on the Wikipedia entry, the English American Colonies used (naturally) English weights and measures. After the War of Independence in 1777 they continued to do so.

So when the British decided to standardise their weights and measures in 1824 to Imperial Measurements the United States of America, being independent, had no cause to change and have thus continued to use old English measures.

The standardisation of the gallon in each country would have been based on custom and practice of the time.

Not much beer would have been imported into the USA as beer needed to be consumed close to its point of consumption because of its short shelf life due to its lower alcoholic (preservative) content. Wine would have been imported into the USA because it had a higher alcoholic content, thus a longer self life and could travel well and improve with age. This was also true of some very strong beers like Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (which also improved with age) and Carlsberg Export although these (and only recently) are now pasteurised. More beer was consumed in UK than wine so that was a natural choice of measure. More wine was imported into the USA, so that was a natural choice.

When UK adopted the metric system many items stayed the same but the stated measurement changed, so a 12oz jar of jam became a 340g jar of jam. Same jar of jam. There are many other examples. Milk is sold as 2.2litres in a 4 pint bottle. People don’t really go out to buy 340g of jam or 2.2 litres of milk.

The same principle applies to shoe sizes which are measured by grains of corn. The measurements differ between UK and USA because different grains were being used. Each system now has a standardised but different grain size.
Much of things in America follow the pre independence old English style. So what we call pavements, they call sidewalks and what we call roads they call pavements. Americans call corn what we call maize. All of which has some logic.

English English is a constantly changing language. American English is much more conservative and continues to use English in its unevolved way including its use of old English spelling (like standardized).

I see the Oxford Concise English Dictionary has changed the definition of Woman.

The world keeps spinning.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #517 on: November 09, 2020, 01:39:57 PM »

Problem with metric system it is too simple, no food for the brain, many of our best scientists bought up on imperial system.  Reason Japanese and Chinese so clever is that their language is so absolutely difficult to learn, likewise  metric system leads to lazy thinking..... just move the decimal point around.....

I trained as a physicist and we did everything in metric.

Physics is hard enough in metric, KISS>

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #518 on: November 10, 2020, 07:25:45 AM »
I trained as a physicist and we did everything in metric.

Physics is hard enough in metric, KISS>

So did I and I thoroughly agree.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #519 on: December 01, 2020, 07:32:46 AM »
Topped up the tank this morning and FE was 51.2 mpg. Not too bad considering I have four new all-weather tyres and I had my "Italian Tune-up" earlier in the tankful. I'll have to monitor my consumption over the next few tanks of fuel and see how it settles. The winter weather won't help.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #520 on: December 10, 2020, 08:55:48 PM »
Very disappointing top-up today. 47 mpg. Not the worst I have had - that was 46 mpg - but pretty rubbish. Hope it starts to improve as the All-weather tyres start to wear.

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #521 on: December 12, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »
Jocko, you’ve reached my summer MPG levels now! . I haven’t been driving much, my mid October fill up is only half consumed, but the MPG readout is down to 45. I  did a 20 mile Italian tuneup in ‘S’ gear  which may have helped me clear MOT this morning. It’s the combination of short tips and cold weather that’s killing it for us.
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #522 on: December 12, 2020, 02:59:26 PM »
The equivalent top up last year (one day different) was 58 mpg, so you can understand why I am disappointed. I always calculate my mpg using Fuelly, as I find the dashboard display optimistic. The other day's top-up showed 49.4 on the "Fibometer".

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #523 on: December 21, 2020, 07:18:27 AM »
The yellow light came on today, so I refilled my tank. 53.6 mpg. Now that's a bit better. Must be wearing the sharp edges off the new tyres.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #524 on: December 29, 2020, 08:13:55 AM »
After filling the tank on the 1st of December, today was the third time this month I have had to refill it. I have covered 1,140 miles this month adding 22.6 gallons to the tank. That equates to 50.4 mpg, so I have still eked out a reasonable mileage figure despite the lousy weather and my relatively inefficient all-weather tyres. I don't feel so bad now I see it in numbers.

Tags:

anything