Author Topic: Nearside front suspension rear bush advisory  (Read 3817 times)

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
Nearside front suspension rear bush advisory
« on: November 24, 2020, 03:28:28 PM »
Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Can anyone point me to where this bush is located, and is it an easy and cheap fix on our Jazz?

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Nearside front suspension rear bush advisory
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 04:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the replying. It looks a bit scary. As always the video makes it look easy as you don't have to deal with everything being seized up.

I'm not 100% sure this is the bush in question. A search in the forum came back with a post from Jocko (are you reading this? You usually are!) that suggests it might be the wishbone. Jocko what was your solution in the end?

I've noticed recently my steering has been slightly off centre (but still tracking straight). I wonder if it's related.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 04:20:17 PM »

The wishbone is the wishbone-shaped thing in the front of the image.

My pre-MOT today said I need to replace both. The large bush at the rear splits. Euro Car Parts have two at £80 and £102 per side. My son-in-law changed one a few years back. He didn't disconnect the hub. It took him about an hour. Last one cost me about £30.

The video is the part you need to change. The last bit he has to force out is the bush that splits. My first one had failed entirely and the knock was very pronounced.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 04:31:02 PM »
I'm not 100% sure this is the bush in question. A search in the forum came back with a post from Jocko (are you reading this? You usually are!) that suggests it might be the wishbone.

Almost certainly rear bush on the wishbone. You can get a pair of cheap pattern wishbones delivered for £38 on ebay, not exactly a 5 minute job though. Here's a good picture on another thread, showing you exactly where yours will be, at back of the wheelarch...

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12543.msg89035#msg89035

If it was bad enough to affect steering, i.e. torn, it would be a MOT failure. As the man on the bit of paper says, "monitor and repair as necessary".

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 07:51:51 PM »
My first one actually ripped right round, but thankfully the metal part underneath is bigger than the hole so it just drops down and cannot go anywhere. Just knocks like billy-oh.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 01:17:21 AM »
Usually easier just to pop a new wishbone in. Part was £40 labour £20

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 03:20:19 AM »
Thanks for the photo. I recognise the area now. I've used a jack on the bolt head underneath there to lift the corner of the car before. Was that a silly thing to do?

I'll have a closer look at this part and then if it's not too bad leave it until Spring/Summer next year.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 06:59:11 AM »
Never a good idea to jack on a bolt head. Can swell it then your socket may not fit.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 08:59:56 AM »
Never a good idea to jack on a bolt head. Can swell it then your socket may not fit.

I sometimes jack there  :-[ but use a rubber pad.

I'll have a closer look at this part and then if it's not too bad leave it until Spring/Summer next year.

That's exactly what I would do.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 09:13:03 AM »
It is two and a half years since I got my advisory and that is it just getting fixed now. Don't know if it would be considered an advisory this time round or a fail and don't know if it would have failed in the summer had the MOT's not been extended.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 09:22:41 AM »
End of the day Jocko, if he says it's had it, it's got to be done.

If it wasn't mentioned on last test, that might suggest it's not that bad... but they don't always spot everything.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 07:39:05 PM »

I was actually a post from yourself that suggested lifting from that point. I wasn't really thinking about deforming the bolt, I was thinking more along the lines of putting all that load through the bush point. Maybe not a good idea if it's already become brittle and splitting..

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 07:55:42 PM »
I was actually a post from yourself that suggested lifting from that point.
I don't think so. I don't work on cars myself. Haven't done so for many years. However, if you care to link to the post, I would like to see what I actually said.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 08:11:11 PM »

I was actually a post from yourself that suggested lifting from that point. I wasn't really thinking about deforming the bolt, I was thinking more along the lines of putting all that load through the bush point. Maybe not a good idea if it's already become brittle and splitting..

I think that was possibly me that suggested jacking there Jocko.

IMHO, that point on the front subframe is an ideal place to jack the front suspension, it's very strong. I do use a thick rubber pad for jacking anywhere, as I say, but only because it avoids marking anything or damaging underseal.

You'll not damage the bush jacking there, you're jacking straight on to the front subframe, not the bush, The bush rubber is only bearing the weight of the suspension, and that's the same wherever you jack. The centre of the bush is pretty hefty lump of steel, the bolt likewise, and unless you're really careless, the bolt will sit inside the trolley jack cup anyway.

Tags:

anything