Author Topic: Pre-MOT test.  (Read 2563 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Pre-MOT test.
« on: November 23, 2020, 07:55:11 PM »
My ageing Jazz is going in for a Pre-MOT test tomorrow morning. My son-in-law arranged it at very short notice. Normally I do not bother, but it has now gone 18 months, and two and a half years ago we got an advisory for Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (I)). This was the wishbone rear bush splitting.  My son-in-law doesn't want to replace anything in case we are wasting money changing parts that don't need replacing and maybe find it fails on something else.
The short notice means the car is filthy and needs a good vacuum out. I always present my cars washed and valeted.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
Re: Pre-MOT test.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 08:22:01 PM »
A Pre-MOT test?? Do you pay for that? :o

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 09:57:17 PM »
I will eventually. It is done through my son-in-law. The garage does trucks and buses and John puts a lot of work their way so it may get lost along the way.

Just seen a beautiful 2005 for £775. Alloys, full electric, air con, new battery, discs and pads, even reverse sensors. Looks mint. Tomorrow may decide whether I go and have a look at it.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 07:26:41 AM »
Showed my wife the other Jazz and she said: "Go for it". Unfortunately, it is silver, but we will see what today's pre-MOT check throws up. If it is cheaper to replace than repair...........................
Had a look at its MOT history and I think it must have been taken to the main dealer for its last few MOTs. Advisories like "Rust on brake pipe ferrule". Last year the tyres were mentioned, so the guy fitted four new tyres.

guest9236

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 07:56:17 AM »
Showed my wife the other Jazz and she said: "Go for it". Unfortunately, it is silver, but we will see what today's pre-MOT check throws up. If it is cheaper to replace than repair...........................
Had a look at its MOT history and I think it must have been taken to the main dealer for its last few MOTs. Advisories like "Rust on brake pipe ferrule". Last year the tyres were mentioned, so the guy fitted four new tyres.

Sounds  good, Jocko any piccys??

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 09:33:49 AM »
Buy it anyway ! Its immaculate

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 09:45:45 AM »
Never really understood the point of 'pre-MOTs', unless you are selling a car on and don't want a ream of advisories on the ticket. Just shove it in for a test and see what it fails on.

Just tested our mk.1, it all went surprisingly well, apart from the back brakes, which only just squeezed through on the NS handbrake - crusty discs, and pads seizing through lack of use. It's ready for discs anyway, so that's another little job at some point soon. Big car in for test next week, that'll be four MOTs in the last month or two!

Silver's a nice enough colour, granted it's not as nice as the blue, and there are some lovely low mileage mark ones about. Trouble with cars that age is that it's often better the devil you know, unless you know there's something seriously wrong with it... then there's the gearbox bearings. If you swapped yours, I'd keep the gearbox!

It's on Gumtree, local to me.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-jazz-hatchback-2005-manual-1339-cc-5-doors/1390930194?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=email

Looks clean on top, but there's a fair old list of advisories on that one - either somebody is very keen on defects, or it's very crusty underneath... and wishbone bushes!

I did watch a 07 SE in blue go through auction last week, under 40K miles, written off because the cat had been 'borrowed'... it was absolutely immaculate underneath though, only looked a few years old.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 11:01:03 AM »
Looks decent Jocko - would you be put off by the fact that it's a bit older? I guess, though, after a certain age, condition is vastly more important.

There's a 52 plate near us that is similarly immaculate. Many Jazz owners cherish their cars.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 11:23:52 AM »
Good luck with the pre mot. You never know until it's been looked at. I always get my trusted mechanic to MOT my cars, and he pre-mots them. Picked up a broken rear coil spring once, and had the car repaired before presenting for its MOT. Saves a lot of running around getting it repaired first.

"I always present my cars washed and valeted. " I would agree with that. Clean cars look better, and MOT testers are only human. Power of suggestion? 

Trouble with cars that age is that it's often better the devil you know, unless you know there's something seriously wrong with it..

+1  ;) Whilst the other car looks really nice, and its amazing how much car you get for the money, better the devil you know.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 12:24:37 PM »
The 2005 silver Jazz has outstanding recalls according to https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

and a MOT history suggesting neglect

Halminator

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 12:32:35 PM »
Every time I'm surprised at how cheap cars are in the UK  :o

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 12:34:47 PM »
Looks decent Jocko - would you be put off by the fact that it's a bit older? I guess, though, after a certain age, condition is vastly more important.

Condition underneath is the key. I've seen some beautiful looking cars, washed and waxed regularly, but on their last legs underneath.

The MOTs on that one looked a bit rough to me. Not so much neglect, but crusty... like a seaside car.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 02:26:41 PM »
Yes - that's sound advice. Always worth looking underneath.

Tags:

anything