Author Topic: LED Headlight Bulb Replacements  (Read 2492 times)

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
LED Headlight Bulb Replacements
« on: November 22, 2020, 03:32:17 PM »
I only recently discovered that you can replace Halogen bulbs with LED 'bulbs'. I've heard they are vastly brighter, and though technically illegal, in practice you'll not have any problems and even pass MOTs.

Can anyone comment if there's any issues fitting them in a Jazz and can recommend a particular product?

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: LED Headlight Bulb Replacements
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 03:40:52 PM »
As you say illegal, but if you purchase and fit the excellent H4 LED’s from Classic Car LED’s Ltd you will get a light that has a better cut-off and light pattern than any halogen bulb, which my MOT tester was very impressed with. He said there was no reason for them to fail an MOT as the light pattern and colour met the requirements. Just make sure as with any bulb halogen or LED that they are set up properly.
They are not cheap at £70 a pair, but I wouldn’t trust the cheaper eBay alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 03:50:18 PM »
Can buy Philips LED bulbs for £85. Seems a small premium over the ones above for a respected brand name. Are those ones listed branded? Or Chinese jobbies?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ultinon-Headlight-Bulbs-11342ULWX2/dp/B07CCH7H2X

UKjim

• Approved Member
LED Headlight Bulb Replacements
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 03:55:05 PM »
Can buy Philips LED bulbs for £85. Seems a small premium over the ones above for a respected brand name. Are those ones listed branded? Or Chinese jobbies?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ultinon-Headlight-Bulbs-11342ULWX2/dp/B07CCH7H2X
They use the latest Philips LED’s and several people on here have them, that’s why I bought them and they are fantastic. Never been flashed and although bright they do not blind and they look the same as the ones you linked to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:16:03 PM by UKjim »

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 01:37:10 AM »
 :P don't bother with the silly £85 ones. You can get perfect beam with ones from amazon warehouse under £10.

Just make sure they have the notch.

degzi

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 01:43:33 AM »

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 09:22:09 AM »
Currently   https://www.amazon.co.uk/LED-Car-Headlight-Bulbs-Kit/dp/B01FHOY8I8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Safego&m=A2OAJ7377F756P&qid=1606268464&s=warehouse-deals&sr=8-3  here

If you don't have prime I'm willing to buy and post if still available.

Unavailable and with some bad reviews. Cheap for a reason.

degzi

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 11:16:41 AM »
Well mine have been perfect with plenty of use. And passed mot no problems. If you want to pay a crazy price it's up to you guys, but really all you need to look out for is something which has the little notch cover over the top of the dipped Led.

There are still some stinkers of h4 leds out there but plenty of decent ones under £20 even at full price.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 05:18:24 AM »
Well I'm not sure which to choose.

The Philips lights are clearly different to the 'Classic Cars' lights. I'm always suspicious when they hide the original branding. My guess is Classic cars have found a Chinese product of decent quality and are selling them on.

Prices online vary massively from around £5 for bottom end Chinese stuff right up to £100+ for premium branded Philips and Osram products. Reviews are mixed across the board, with good and bad reviews for both the cheapest and most expensive options. It's difficult to know what you're getting for your money, and where the value points are.

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 07:49:56 AM »
All I can add is that I based my purchase on 'real' reviews and experiences on this forum from people who actually own the car in which I was intending to install tbem. That was good enough for me.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 08:02:54 AM »
Hi

I have looked at the amazon led posted and they are not the same

They look a cheaper product and even the heat dispersal look smaller

The classic cars led are adjustable for different countries and I believe they are made in USA.

The classic cars led h4 are quality, looks to made with aluminium and are heavier, more robust.

I am extremely happy with our leds and very grateful to culzean for posting on forum about them.

I think it boils down to you get what you pay for

Many thanks

John

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 08:09:27 AM »
Totally agree

guest9236

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 02:19:35 PM »
Totally agree

I also agree We purchased several sets for our  3 Jazz cars on recommendation from Culzean  they have passed MOT ok so no worries
Buy cheap get cheap false economy. thank you Culzean  incidentally where are you, have not seen your lengthy epistles for a while, I do hope you have not caught this blessed Chinese Virus.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 03:18:47 PM »
Just found out that changing the bulbs is actually a pain in the ass. I assumed they would be easy access.

I'm debating now if paying 5-10% the value of the car to upgrade the bulbs is a clever idea or not. I've always thought the bulbs were dull, but they've done their job over the last few years.

Those that have changed over. Has it made a real significant improvement? Worth the investment cost?

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »
Just found out that changing the bulbs is actually a pain in the ass. I assumed they would be easy access.

I'm debating now if paying 5-10% the value of the car to upgrade the bulbs is a clever idea or not. I've always thought the bulbs were dull, but they've done their job over the last few years.

Those that have changed over. Has it made a real significant improvement? Worth the investment cost?

Massive improvement yes.

Worth the investment cost, that depends on your finances, what value you put on it, how fussy you are, priorities etc.

For me a no brainer, I am OCD when it comes to cars, I am fortunate enough to have no finance problems and could have chosen to buy a brand new car for my wife but nostalgicly she chose a 15 year old Jazz to replace her more modern car as she loved and missed the one she had new in 2005. It is a low mileage car that I have probably spent 50%+ of it's value making improvements and getting it as near perfect as it's going to be. I enjoy fiddling around and experimenting but for someone who just considers it cheap transport and nothing else then maybe it's not worth bothering, the choice as they say is yours!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 03:55:10 PM by UKjim »

Tags:

anything