Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 757851 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1965 on: February 12, 2021, 09:48:27 AM »
Post office not delivering here because of the weather but Amazon is. So too are Hermes. We got a parcel left at our door at the back of ten last night.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1966 on: February 12, 2021, 10:04:33 AM »
Post office not delivering here because of the weather but Amazon is. So too are Hermes. We got a parcel left at our door at the back of ten last night.

weather here is pretty cold but clear and hardly any snow, if you added up the total weeks snow it would be less than 1 inch.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1967 on: February 12, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »
We have had about 8" of snow this week in two dollops. Main roads are finally clear today, but side streets are still hard-packed and icy—currently 3 below, but the milder weather is forecast for next week.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1968 on: February 15, 2021, 03:58:43 PM »
I see Jaguar will become an electric-only brand from 2025 onwards. By the end of the decade, JLR aims for 100% of Jaguar sales and 60% of Land Rover sales to be fully electric.
Land Rover will continue to offer a range of powertrains, but with a heavy focus on electrification. That will include six pure electric variants in the next five years as part of the existing Range Rover, Discovery and Defender families. The brand's first EV will arrive in 2024.
Launching an electric version of every Land Rover model by 2030 will put the firm in a strong position to meet the UK’s 2030 ban on all but a limited number of non-zero-emissions vehicles. But continuing to offer combustion-engined versions for the foreseeable future will ensure that the brand can continue to offer cars in markets where its products are popular, but EV infrastructure is less developed.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/jaguar-become-all-electric-brand-2025

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1969 on: February 15, 2021, 05:19:52 PM »
I see Jaguar will become an electric-only brand from 2025 onwards. By the end of the decade, JLR aims for 100% of Jaguar sales and 60% of Land Rover sales to be fully electric.
Land Rover will continue to offer a range of powertrains, but with a heavy focus on electrification. That will include six pure electric variants in the next five years as part of the existing Range Rover, Discovery and Defender families. The brand's first EV will arrive in 2024.
Launching an electric version of every Land Rover model by 2030 will put the firm in a strong position to meet the UK’s 2030 ban on all but a limited number of non-zero-emissions vehicles. But continuing to offer combustion-engined versions for the foreseeable future will ensure that the brand can continue to offer cars in markets where its products are popular, but EV infrastructure is less developed.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/jaguar-become-all-electric-brand-2025

My Brother -in-law working for JLR on design of electric vehicles.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1970 on: February 15, 2021, 06:24:59 PM »
Given how many JLR products are Chelsea tractors and are owned by urban dwellers in areas such as Chelsea, I imagine they will sell very well.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1971 on: March 02, 2021, 06:55:07 AM »
Volvo has announced that worldwide, from 2030, they will only manufacture All-Electric cars. They will no longer manufacture ICE cars, even as hybrids.
They also stated:
Volvo will not be investing in cars with hydrogen fuel cells, as it does not think there will be enough demand from customers. There is also a question mark over hydrogen's availability in comparison with charging points for electric cars, a spokesman said.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #1972 on: March 02, 2021, 08:17:58 AM »
Charging point availability and the time required is going to be a massive problem.

They have less than a decade to solve it
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1973 on: March 02, 2021, 12:36:41 PM »
Van news "British Gas orders 2,000 Vauxhall Vivaro-e vans". Got to be good news for UK PLC and inner city air quality. :D

https://greenfleet.net/news/22022021/british-gas-orders-2000-vauxhall-vivaro-e-vans

"Centrica, owner of British Gas, has committed electrify its 12,000 strong operational fleet by 2025, five years earlier than originally planned and will be making further orders with Vauxhall for electric vehicles as soon as they are available. Centrica has also committed to make its 1,500 company cars EV only in the same time frame."

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #1974 on: March 10, 2021, 12:16:26 PM »
The announcements by JLR and, now, Ford indicate to me that, like it or not, in terms of brand new cars it will be impossible to buy a conventional ICE car long before the 2030 deadline. The best you will be able to do is buy a PHEV.

The car makers know the writing is on the wall. It's all over for petrol and diesel.

What, I wonder, will this do for residuals of ICE cars? Will they crash and be virtually unsellable or will they rise as people seek to delay going electric for as long as possible?

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #1975 on: March 10, 2021, 12:42:21 PM »
Unless the infrastructure dramatically changes - through a massive government effort - it won’t happen. The 2030 deadline will be quietly revised to have MHEV as the minimum bar. Can you see Dacia putting a plug socket and 30kWh battery on the Sandero for £7k?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #1976 on: March 11, 2021, 08:43:50 AM »
Hydrogen comes to recue of electricity production?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/03/11/hydrogen-revolution-real-will-change-world/

"This is what is happening today. If you want a futuristic leap, try the new hydrogen paste unveiled by Germany’s Fraunhofer Institute. They have found a way to make the gas safe, portable, and energy-dense. “It stores hydrogen in a chemical form at room temperature and atmospheric pressure,” said project leader Marcus Vogt.

You insert a cartridge of paste into your car. A plunger squirts out a dose and that mixes with water to produce hydrogen for the fuel cell, and runs the vehicle. A single fill potentially has longer mileage than a full tank of petrol."

"“The way we see the future, in 20 to 40 years from now, all the energy that mankind uses will come from wind, solar, and hydro. Forty per cent of this will be used directly to power electric vehicles, heating, light, air conditioning, and cooking. The rest will be used to break down water and produce hydrogen. That will be the source of energy to drive trucks, ships, trains, and industries like steel,” he said.

That sums it up in a nutshell. You move through the gears, first displacing natural gas as a dispatchable back-up for renewables, then reaching cement, fertilizers, chemicals, or heating for buildings. The scissor-action of falling hydrogen prices and rising carbon prices brings one sector after another into range."

Well worth reading.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1977 on: March 12, 2021, 08:57:52 AM »
Dacia Spring, the europeanised version of the Chinese Renault City K-ZE now on sale in France.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-dacia-spring-affordable-ev-launches-france-%E2%82%AC12403
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 08:59:27 AM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1978 on: March 12, 2021, 09:29:08 AM »
I hope that comes here soon. Limited range but great price. And Dacia has a good reputation here.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #1979 on: March 12, 2021, 09:50:26 AM »

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-dacia-spring-affordable-ev-launches-france-%E2%82%AC12403

No. not for me, performance would be abysmal, compared with the Jazz, with less than half of the HP and Nm available.

Tags:

anything