Author Topic: Hidden radio functions  (Read 33349 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Hidden radio functions
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:09:07 PM »
Pressing the POWER/VOL knob for more than two seconds gives you access to an additional menu to change the RDS (Radio Data System) functions. Although this is documented in the owner's manual it is not labelled on the radio unit and so is essentially a 'hidden' menu.

This applies to the Mk1 Jazz (2002 to 2008) but should also be present on other Honda models.

There are two functions in this menu that the owner's manual either doesn't cover or fully explain: turning off the PI SEEK function and changing the clock format between 12 and 24 hour format.

1. Turning off PI SEEK

The radio will display PI SEEK and go silent for a few seconds when selecting a station from one of the presets with a weak signal, even if the signal is clear enough to listen to:

To disable this you need the first option displayed in this menu (or press preset button 1 if not on the first option in the menu). This turns the AF (Alternative Frequency) on or off - which by default is ON:

Press preset button 1 to change the setting to OFF:

2. Changing the clock format

This is actually not documented in the manual. When in this menu pressing preset button 4 brings up the clock format setting and pressing button 4 again allows you to change between 24 hour (default) and 12 hour format:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:39:06 PM by RichardA »

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
Re: Hidden radio functions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 10:17:48 PM »
Please let me know if this menu is present on Mk2 Jazzes or any other Hondas.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:45:36 AM »
On 2012 model Jazz, holding down the volume button brings up a manual tune function, where you can manually tune to different frequencies by rotating the knob

On a CRV (2014), if there is no phone connected, it does the same, but if there is a phone in the car and connected via bluetooth, it brings up a menu to select an alternative phone.  If there is only one, it goes to the tuning menu after a few seconds

The buttons to the top and bottom of the volume knob select different types of music or stations, ie Serious Classic, Information, Weather, etc.  Since there are only 14 FM stations where I live, this is of no use
If music be the food of love, play on

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »
Also pressing 2 and 3 has other functions you can switch on/off

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 05:09:21 PM »
can this work on the basic 2 button radio?

if so how do i get a 12 hour clock from 24hours?

If I remember correctly then yes and the menu options I think are the same. The two button radio was still produced alongside the big button radio for the lower spec S model after the 2004 facelift.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »
If you have changed your radio settings as above and have had your battery disconnected (including during the airbag recall work) you will need to change them again as the radio is reset to factory settings.

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 05:54:37 PM »
So what do AF and PI mean, and what happens if I disable this function (which I will, because I too stumble upon the PI SEEK issue when selecting preset 1)?
At stake.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 06:36:04 PM »
Not sure, I'll have to have a look.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »
So what do AF and PI mean, and what happens if I disable this function (which I will, because I too stumble upon the PI SEEK issue when selecting preset 1)?

AF is Alternative Frequency- This allows a receiver to re-tune to a different frequency providing the same station when the first signal becomes too weak.

PI is Programme Identifier - This is the unique code that identifies the station. Every station receives a specific code with a country prefix.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:56:49 PM by ColinS »

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »
And what do they do?
At stake.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 08:47:58 PM »
If the signal is too weak the radio will try and find the same station broadcasting on a stronger frequency. I live in East Sussex so if I select a London station such as Kiss 100 from my presets, PI SEEK flashes up and the radio then tunes into Classic FM as it can't find Kiss and Classic is on a nearby frequency. With Radio 1 it can find the station on a another frequency but it takes several seconds to find it and will do this almost every time I tune into R1, even if the original frequency is strong enough to listen to. Because I like to hop between Radio 1 and Heart it can be a nuisance.

guest7018

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:10 PM »
I got a 2005 jazz and radio I think is dead is there a fuse to check and if radio is dead how much another one do it have a code.

guest1372

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 08:59:40 PM »
No code, radio power is on fuse 17 in the box above the pedals, another fuse does illumination of all the dash.  There is a fault that can be repaired for a few £ but replacement units are quite cheap.  Search on here (or youtube) for radio removal guide, there are two hidden bolts.

Questions are best asked in a new thread in the section for your model.
--
TG

Ginny68

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz 2007 automatic
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2023, 11:20:04 PM »
I have no sound on radio..its stuck on diag on screen..how do I exit this..please

Tags:

anything