Author Topic: Seeking Guidance for Dashcam Hardwiring and Installation  (Read 1878 times)

oneral

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2021 EX
Seeking Guidance for Dashcam Hardwiring and Installation
« on: May 06, 2024, 03:09:39 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm soon getting my hands on a Honda Jazz 2020 and I'm keen to install a dashcam, particularly for nighttime parking. I've been considering using the fusebox for both ACC and BAT power, but after browsing previous threads in this forum, I'm a bit confused.

As far as I understand, there are two options:

A: Option Connector - sold separately but seems to be available only in the Japanese market, making it challenging to acquire in the UK.

B: Fusebox connection - while convenient, it can be risky due to potential faulty wiring issues.

This will be my first experience installing a dashcam, and I lack prior knowledge in car electronics. I'm planning to purchase the Viofo A129 with two cameras. Could someone guide me through the process of connecting to the fusebox in detail?

1. Which fusebox should I use?
2. Which fuses are suitable for piggybacking, and where is the best location for the ground connection?
3. Do I need to remove the A-pillar trim to better installation of the wire, avoid interference with the airbag?
4. If yes to question 3, what precautions should I take when removing this trim? I am thinking it may be a irreversible connectors?
5. Is there any particular advice you're offering?

Could you please share some photos of your installation? I would appreciate it.

Apologies for the detailed questions, but I'd greatly appreciate your insights. I'm eager to tackle this installation myself, but I want to ensure I have a clear understanding before proceeding.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Seeking Guidance for Dashcam Hardwiring and Installation
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 04:36:41 AM »
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12345.msg105812#msg105812

Just my opinion but I don't like piggybacking on modern cars. I've heard of circuits shutting down when they detect the extra load

The option connector is difficult to find but Amazon Japan does have them. GR6, Fit and hardwire are useful search terms
Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 11:14:36 AM »
Bear in mind DashCams run on FIVE VOLTS! !2V into 5V doesn't go!! (not for long anyway) I 'fried' two dashcams before realising that. It took a few weeks, but it happens.
So make sure you get a voltage dropper (EBay)
I haven't hard wired a Dashcam on any of my Hondas and can pass no comment on the connector mentioned.
On my Skodas I used a piggy back fuse connector on the rear wiper* circuit as I wanted it to switch off when engine not running if you buy a camera with a battery it will usually wake up and lock a clip if the car is impacted. On my 'TOGUARD' you can adjust the impact level.
I use https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403970638552
The picture quality is amazing. No GPS so no speed, apart from that it is brilliant. The second Toguard camera I have had. They are excellent value.
I couldn't be bothered with wiring a separate rear cam, so opted for the internal which does at least give you a bit of rear protection.
* cars (all modern ones) fitted with 'Canbus' electrickery can be very picky about being interfered with, so Kremmen's warning is valid. That Is why I chose the rear wiper, as it spends most of the time not working. I never had any problems so doing.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

oneral

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 10:23:38 PM »
Thanks a lot, I've changed my mind to buy optional connector from Japan and voltage dropper. I believe it is going to be the best way available.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:04:44 AM »
The Option Connector has 2 red wires

One is "ACC" and the other is "Ign2".'"Ign2" is the one to use for dashcams

oneral

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:23:35 PM »
Thanks, also the +B is one that I need to connect for night time recording. Is that right?
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51lVHSleZEL._SY500_.jpg

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:21:49 PM »
Can't help there as I don't know your dashcam

Most dashcams with 'parking mode' activated need a power connector with a voltage cutoff. Given the MK4 only has a small 12v battery I wouldn't recommend trying to run a dashcam overnight

Tags: