Author Topic: Motor way noise  (Read 4563 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Motor way noise
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2020, 04:22:00 PM »
I went out in the again this afternoon.
Got into the car on my drive, outside temp, 29c inside temp 42c
The air con immediately went up to maximum cooling and the noise meter read 71Dba with the engine ticking over.

So based upon the previous noise results, I was effectively doing 70MPH whilst standing still ???

Slightly off topic, but with the temp conditions mentioned, what should be the temp of the air coming out the high level vents ?
I registered an minimum of 9.9c Is this normal?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2020, 04:49:00 PM »
Slightly off topic, but with the temp conditions mentioned, what should be the temp of the air coming out the high level vents ?
I registered an minimum of 9.9c Is this normal?

At 29 deg ambient With fan on maximum 10deg is about right,  as you slow the fan speed down the air coming out of vents gets colder and can get down to 5deg.   With fan on medium speed 7deg  is pretty normal.  It is all down to the capacity of the system - with high airflow it is asking a lot to get really cold air, but 19deg below ambient is not too bad.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2020, 08:53:32 AM »
I'm puzzled because the Mk3 CVT hire car I drove in on the M62 was much quieter than my Mk1.

A leaking door seal or blocked vent should be easy to check, try opening a window on both sides of the car, an inch or so should do, and if the noise reduces then it's likely your problem's there somewhere.

Good luck.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2020, 12:06:03 PM »
I had a Mark 2 and, although there is not much in it, the Mk3 is quieter.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 01:19:56 PM »
If the tyres are directional, maybe check on the sidewall that the direction of rotation is correct, in case the wheels have been swapped from one side to the other.
Make sure the directional marks are facing forward or if it says inside or outside on the sidewall that they are on the correct orientation.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2020, 01:22:29 PM »
Op if the other ones are about the same in terms of noise then it may just be in your head, I know each time I get a new car I become hyper sensitive to every noise and nuance and it takes a month or 3 till my OCD calms down.

I'd ask a few people who's judgement you trust to come with you inthe vehicle or just to take it for a drive themselves and see what they report back in terms of the noise.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2020, 03:18:05 PM »
When the OEM tyres ( Pirelli Cinturato ) on my first Civic wore out and I replaced them with Michelin I really thought I had gone deaf - the difference in road noise was unbelievable.

There are also vents in the boot to let cabin pressure out ( when the fan is running it is blowing pressurised air into car ) make sure these are not blocked by anything. The Americans call them trunk vents,  they are there to equalize cabin pressure due to fan and also when you close doors or tailgate ( to stop the windows popping out LOL ).  Normally behind the bumper moulding.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazz03

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2003
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2020, 04:06:19 PM »
Thank you everone for your input. I am very gratful for your help.

Yes I got 2 people in the car one reported noise is ok there but it is not too bad. The other said it is too noisy and that he would have returned the car straight away.

Dealer offered to add extra insulation by removing door panels but said its 50 50 chance of improvement.

I checked the vent air in/out but bit of difference feels when i let air in feels better with regards to pressure.
can hear the wind from the driver door. not too bad but can hear it clear.

I spoke with a friend today first thing he said TYRES then said check tyre pressure so OEM advise 2.3 bar at rear tyres and 2.2 front ones. when checked found rear over 2.5 bar and front over 2.4 so deflate these slighlty and will drive it in a bit and see how it feels and update you.

My brother said to me that I didn't hear noise in my old jazz because the wheel size was narrower i.e. 14 therefore high profile i.e. more tyre thickness between wheel and ground. My other brother suggested fitting 205 tyres instead of 185 wider and will feel soft on roads. I know one says narrowr better for noise other wider better for comfort.

I am not sure was really thinking to return it and get S Class Mercedes

but first I will try it after letting some air out and see if it makes a difference.

will update you here asap.

thanks again

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2020, 04:16:08 PM »
Thank you everone for your input. I am very gratful for your help.

Yes I got 2 people in the car one reported noise is ok there but it is not too bad. The other said it is too noisy and that he would have returned the car straight away.

Dealer offered to add extra insulation by removing door panels but said its 50 50 chance of improvement.

I checked the vent air in/out but bit of difference feels when i let air in feels better with regards to pressure.
can hear the wind from the driver door. not too bad but can hear it clear.

I spoke with a friend today first thing he said TYRES then said check tyre pressure so OEM advise 2.3 bar at rear tyres and 2.2 front ones. when checked found rear over 2.5 bar and front over 2.4 so deflate these slighlty and will drive it in a bit and see how it feels and update you.

My brother said to me that I didn't hear noise in my old jazz because the wheel size was narrower i.e. 14 therefore high profile i.e. more tyre thickness between wheel and ground. My other brother suggested fitting 205 tyres instead of 185 wider and will feel soft on roads. I know one says narrowr better for noise other wider better for comfort.

I am not sure was really thinking to return it and get S Class Mercedes

but first I will try it after letting some air out and see if it makes a difference.

will update you here asap.

thanks again

Thanks for the update. One thing it might be the driver's door not sealing fully - this has come up before on the MK3 Jazz. Even a slight gap between the door frame and rubber seal would let wind noise / whistling sound come in.

Re tyres - yes a higher profile would help with comfort, perhaps less noise but it does depend on the make of tyre a lot. Difficult and expensive to experiment swapping wheels and sizes. It may be the tyres fitted are a hard compound and they generate more noise than other makes. Reducing the pressures would improve ride quality slightly and make a softer ride.

From what you say it does seem the noise is coming from the road / tyres - rather than wind or engine / gearbox noise.

Jazz03

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2003
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2020, 07:43:41 PM »
Guys you might be surprised. I spoke with a friend of mine first thing he said Tyres so said check the pressure before replacing tyres. So the pressure recommendation for rear 2.3 bar when checked it was over 2.5 bar.  Front should be 2 2 bar was over 2.3.

So we let some air just over 2 bar and SURPRISE it is a different car. So smooth and so different n quieter. 

But then air pressure sensor poped up in dash so went and inflate tyres as per recommendation and the Noise is back terrible.

Now will repeat experiment tomorrow with dB meter. If found its tyres for sure I'll keep it n replace tyres.

Tyre date is week 27 2017. So 3 years old and done 14000 miles. My friend said it could be hard due to age and low mileage

So will see and update you
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:45:19 PM by Jazz03 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »
In the test drive i drove it with radio on
You never test drive a car with the radio on. Check it works then switch it off. You want to hear every creak, groan, rattle and knock. And if the seller puts the radio on, be very suspicious.

I used a sound meter on my 40 mile run home from the south of Edinburgh today. The average for the hour journey was 68dB with a peak of 89dB. This was with conversation in the car, the satnav rambling on and doors being opened and closed.
On my return, I measured sound levels with the engine running and the car stationary. At tick-over it registered 44dB and at 3,000 rpm it went up to 53dB

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2020, 08:54:55 PM »
Guys you might be surprised. I spoke with a friend of mine first thing he said Tyres so said check the pressure before replacing tyres. So the pressure recommendation for rear 2.3 bar when checked it was over 2.5 bar.  Front should be 2 2 bar was over 2.3.

So we let some air just over 2 bar and SURPRISE it is a different car. So smooth and so different n quieter. 

But then air pressure sensor poped up in dash so went and inflate tyres as per recommendation and the Noise is back terrible.

Now will repeat experiment tomorrow with dB meter. If found its tyres for sure I'll keep it n replace tyres.

Tyre date is week 27 2017. So 3 years old and done 14000 miles. My friend said it could be hard due to age and low mileage

Sounds interesting, maybe stick to those lower pressures for a while. The pressure sensor system is well known for being over sensitive so don’t worry, so long as you keep an eye on the tyres regularly each week you can spot any issues quickly.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2020, 10:58:22 PM »

If the noise changed that much with lower pressures it must be a tyre/road noise thing, I'd definitely try a new set of tyres before taking the vehicle back. It's worth it, considering the financial loss that returning the vehicle may entail vs a new set of tyres.

Especially if the vehicle still has the factory tyres it was sold with when new, often those are all season tyres or something else that is a compromise to suit the many markets and conditions a vehicle may be sold into.

The Good Year efficient grip Performance(there is a cheaper budget version which isn't as good) that I recently got are nice and got almost universally good reviews when I looked online, one of their attributes is low road noise.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2020, 09:02:32 AM »
Could you not just lower the tyre pressures again to what they were when it went quiet and re calibrate the pressure monitor, or is that being over simplistic?

Harry

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2020, 01:37:14 PM »
Could you not just lower the tyre pressures again to what they were when it went quiet and re calibrate the pressure monitor, or is that being over simplistic?

Harry
I think you’re quite right.  The system would need recalibration after the pressures were lowered, but it should be possible to do that at any preferred set of pressures.  The system reacts to pressure change to alert you to a puncture.

Tags: