Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?  (Read 175308 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2020, 08:35:12 AM »
My average is 5.1L/100km (calculated) but what I was getting at is the lack of accuracy working in L/100km against mpg, just because it is a smaller figure. My "Fibometer" registers to 0.1 up to 100 mpg then in units of 1 after that.
I know that because I filled up once at the filling station at the top of the town one quiet morning and by the time I had reached home (almost all downhill) it was reading 102 mpg.
Does your display read to two decimal places?

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #241 on: August 03, 2020, 08:49:23 AM »
No just to one decimal point. But whether the display shows mpg vs L/100km should have little consequence, the computer is doing the work so it could probably be told to show either without much hassle. It's just a direct conversion that is probably only done at the cluster depending on which region the vehicle was made for, the actual method for collecting the raw data is no doubt the same.

For instance I could have converted my reading to mpg before posting and you'd have been none the wiser.

I just checked now and my average is actually 7.2l 100km, a few decimal points out would be fine but I would expect mine on a 1.3 Cvt to be around 6L 100km.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2020, 10:26:26 AM »
The method for gathering and processing the data will be the same no matter what the display is set to show. What I mean by the accuracy of the display is at 5L/100km you have to have a change of 2% before the decimal point clicks over. At 62.4 mpg a change of 0.2% causes the decimal point to change.
The display in L/Km may actually show closer proximity to the truth than the mpg display. You will know when you get your Fuelly figures how near to the truth it is.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2020, 10:51:09 AM »

The method for gathering and processing the data will be the same no matter what the display is set to show. What I mean by the accuracy of the display is at 5L/100km you have to have a change of 2% before the decimal point clicks over. At 62.4 mpg a change of 0.2% causes the decimal point to change.
The display in L/Km may actually show closer proximity to the truth than the mpg display. You will know when you get your Fuelly figures how near to the truth it is.

Yes I see your point in regards to the relative accuracy.

How far from the Fuelly figures have you found your onboard computer to be?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #244 on: August 03, 2020, 02:55:55 PM »
My last full top-up, on the 6th July, was 63.4 mpg on the "Fibometer" and 61.7 mpg on Fuelly (3.8L/100 km).

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #245 on: August 03, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »
My last full top-up, on the 6th July, was 63.4 mpg on the "Fibometer" and 61.7 mpg on Fuelly (3.8L/100 km).
What the hell!
That's incredible economy, well done, the onboard isn't too far off though, is yours manual or CVT?

A correction my average economy was actually showing 8.2L, I not sure where I got the 7L figure, that's what got me wondering because that's terrible economy.

The projected range left on the tank equals a roughly 6.2L/100km economy which is what I would expect.

Does the range calculation incl the reserve and I'm assuming the 42L fuel tank spec likewise includes the reserve?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #246 on: August 03, 2020, 07:00:38 PM »
Mine is a manual with the Dual Spark 1.2 i-DSi engine. Pulls from 20 mph in 5th gear as long as you don't try to boot it.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #247 on: August 03, 2020, 07:13:14 PM »
Jocko any ideas on how the range calculation works in terms of what it defines as the fuel tank size?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #248 on: August 03, 2020, 10:52:25 PM »
My car doesn't have range left, though my ScanGauge does. I would imagine it will use the entire tank capacity including the reserve, but I would not take its range as gospel. If it overestimates the mpg, it will exaggerate the remaining range. I top up as soon as possible after the low fuel warning light comes on, but I know for a fact I have 40+ miles left.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #249 on: August 05, 2020, 05:40:37 PM »
Jazzmeister. Just filled up again today and the "Fibometer" said 62.3 and Fuelly 60.6.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #250 on: August 05, 2020, 07:50:46 PM »
Jazzmeister. Just filled up again today and the "Fibometer" said 62.3 and Fuelly 60.6.
Truly amazing and thanks for the update Jocko, what kind of terrain/traffic do you typically drive in?

I replaced my battery today and funny enough my average L/100km suddenly went to where I would assume it to be, around 6.5L/100km, for both the A and B odometer, the range of the remaining fuel fell though by a good 80km and I haven't driven more than 10km. The old battery was on it's last legs though so perhaps that had some influence on how to onboard computer or sensors function, possibly insufficient voltage to take an accurate reading.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #251 on: August 05, 2020, 08:58:58 PM »
Jazzmeister: This short video shows typical driving for me. On the run videoed I actually achieved 108 mpg according to my ScanGauge E, which is more accurate than the onboard "Fibometer" (it uses the same data but there is a correction put in to the ScanGauge at every top-up). The rest of my driving is mainly motorway/dual carriageway with a smattering of town and city driving thrown in. On motorways I normally sit around 60 mph on the speedometer (55 - 56 mph on the GPS speedometer I have fitted).

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #252 on: August 05, 2020, 09:23:01 PM »
Jazzmeister: This short video shows typical driving for me. On the run videoed I actually achieved 108 mpg according to my ScanGauge E, which is more accurate than the onboard "Fibometer" (it uses the same data but there is a correction put in to the ScanGauge at every top-up). The rest of my driving is mainly motorway/dual carriageway with a smattering of town and city driving thrown in. On motorways I normally sit around 60 mph on the speedometer (55 - 56 mph on the GPS speedometer I have fitted).

Those are great road conditions to get good fuel economy, that's if you put the effort in, nice scenery as well!

Any thoughts on why my averages would change so drastically with a fresh battery fitted, the distances hadn't been lost?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #253 on: August 05, 2020, 10:43:18 PM »
Sorry I cannot help you there. Wait and see what Fuelly comes back with.

I do put effort into getting good mpg especially using Deceleration Fuel Cut Off.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #254 on: August 06, 2020, 12:47:44 AM »

Sorry I cannot help you there. Wait and see what Fuelly comes back with.

I do put effort into getting good mpg especially using Deceleration Fuel Cut Off.

Does that technique also work with the 2nd gen CVT transmission?

Tags:

anything