Author Topic: Power loss  (Read 920 times)

Sharon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
Power loss
« on: August 12, 2022, 05:17:35 PM »
Hi all. A couple of weeks ago i started noticing a power loss in second gear. Basically pushing on the accelerator would yield more revs than torque. I can hammer the revs to get enough speed to change to third, but same thing happens in third. Going downhill i am ok but going uphill is a nightmare. Also noticed yesterday on a.long straight road that i can only get the car to around 60 max. Whars happening? Have i blown a gasket??

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: Power loss
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 11:28:55 PM »
could be slipping clutch ???

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 07:34:33 AM »
I agree it could be a slipping clutch , . Try driving off with the handbrake on hard.   The car should stall . (assuming the handbrake is good  - the Jazz has a bit of a reputation for sometimes having a fairly weak handbrake.  )

If engine speed rises  and the car isnt moving as it should  the clutch may be worn out ,or contaminated with oil,and need replacing. ( Good workshop practice is to replace the oil seal anyway when changing the clutch whether it leaking or not  ,so  cost should be the same. )      But get expert opinion before spending cash. 

If its a cvt automatic, I dont know much about these.  With these some mismatch between engine and road speed is normal.  But if its worse than usual  it might also be the source of similar problems.     
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 04:12:09 PM »
Thanks all. Broke down fully, AA towed me to garage and gave me hire car. New clutch needed. Three days later and 450 quid later i was back on the road.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 09:43:36 PM »
That sounds like a very fair price for a new clutch fitted in 2022. Pleased your back on the road.  :)

Tags:

anything