Author Topic: LKAS at slow speeds  (Read 3703 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: LKAS at slow speeds
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 04:40:12 AM »
I'm not too sure exactly what RDMS is looking for but when I forgot to turn it off I was getting fairly frequent steering wheel wobbles and the orange steering wheel symbol on the dash.

A fair number of these warnings seemed to be other road markings like the black strips they paint in to seal road repair joins as per an image I posted last week.
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 08:09:41 AM »
I'm not too sure exactly what RDMS is looking for but when I forgot to turn it off I was getting fairly frequent steering wheel wobbles and the orange steering wheel symbol on the dash.

A fair number of these warnings seemed to be other road markings like the black strips they paint in to seal road repair joins as per an image I posted last week.
I've had it a few times where I get the message "RDMS has temporarily been suspended" on a road where it's getting so many violations it can't cope, then it switches itself back on a few minutes later

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 08:40:12 AM »

I've had it a few times where I get the message "RDMS has temporarily been suspended" on a road where it's getting so many violations it can't cope, then it switches itself back on a few minutes later

That is normal operation, if the system operates several times without detecting driver response the system will beep to alert you and after that the assist is temporarily stopped.

The system is detecting not only white lines, but also identify the road edge and this can be where road repairs and texture changes can cause misdetection. Like Kremmen mentioned the tar line, the camera is detecting what it thinks is a road edge and trying to mitigate a deviation.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 09:20:55 AM by Steve_M »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 08:48:26 AM »
Fortunately there is a solution, if you remember :D

After I pull out of the garage and look up to close the garage door :

« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 08:53:44 AM by Kremmen »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 09:40:49 AM »
When driving on a narrow country road and you need to pass an oncoming car.
If you pull in close to the verge, then RDMS will attempt to steer you away from the verge and into the path of the oncoming car, which is not funny! :(
Yup, I've had to persuade the car not to move out towards an oncoming vehicle in those circumstances.

My brother has had some fun and games with his auto braking and lane keeping in his Suzuki - none of them seem fit for purpose and can be downright dangerous,  he switches off a the rubbish when he gets into car, and only uses ACC on motorway, but I think even the novelty of that is wearing off......

Many of the features are not even beta level and I wonder how many accidents they have caused,  if I had a passenger who grabbed the steering wheel or randomly applied the brakes they would either complete the journey in the boot or as a pedestrian...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 09:49:00 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 10:13:22 AM »
I had a scare on a motorway last week. In my case it was Adaptive Cruise Control that caused the problem. I emailed the details and my concerns to the chief exec of Honda UK. No reply so far. I suggest that everyone who feels that these systems are not fit for purpose lets the top man know.
Neil Ives

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 11:27:43 AM »
I had a scare on a motorway last week. In my case it was Adaptive Cruise Control that caused the problem. I emailed the details and my concerns to the chief exec of Honda UK. No reply so far. I suggest that everyone who feels that these systems are not fit for purpose lets the top man know.

Your driving situation is cover in the owners manual and depending on the situations may occur.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2021, 11:48:02 AM »

Your driving situation is cover in the owners manual and depending on the situations may occur.
Well, yes, it does mention it, but it doesn't say: "Warning: Using the automatic safety features on this vehicle may cause serious accidents and endanger life"
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »
Having experienced ACC in the Jazz and CC in the Civic my vote is for plain old CC.

You know where you are with CC, no nasty surprises like most of these new systems can produce for both the driver and other road users.

Don't blame Honda though, all vehicles will have these in time thanks to NCAP.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »
Having experienced ACC in the Jazz and CC in the Civic my vote is for plain old CC.

You know where you are with CC, no nasty surprises like most of these new systems can produce for both the driver and other road users.

Don't blame Honda though, all vehicles will have these in time thanks to NCAP.
My theory about my incident is that the focus of the radar sensor is too wide. It should not be detecting a vehicle in an adjacent lane, especially when lanes are clearly marked.
Neil Ives

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 12:27:14 PM »
There is no radar sensor, it is purely done by the forward facing camera and as you had steered to change lane, for a moment you would have been heading toward the vehicle is the adjacent lane. Do you know how your distance setting is set? If it set at the longest distance it would be even more likely to have slowed your vehicle to keep that gap. To be honest on the M25 that I use on a regular basis, the 1 bar distance is too long and you get constantly slowed with vehicles moving into an inviting gap. Even thou most would say, to be safe you are actually already too close.

But obviously any vehicle traveling behind you would be at fault for not having left enough distance behind you to be able to stop, something may have fallen from that vehicle causing you to brake, the slowing would have been indicated by your brake lights.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2021, 12:47:44 PM »
There is no radar sensor, it is purely done by the forward facing camera and as you had steered to change lane, for a moment you would have been heading toward the vehicle is the adjacent lane. Do you know how your distance setting is set? If it set at the longest distance it would be even more likely to have slowed your vehicle to keep that gap. To be honest on the M25 that I use on a regular basis, the 1 bar distance is too long and you get constantly slowed with vehicles moving into an inviting gap. Even thou most would say, to be safe you are actually already too close.

But obviously any vehicle traveling behind you would be at fault for not having left enough distance behind you to be able to stop, something may have fallen from that vehicle causing you to brake, the slowing would have been indicated by your brake lights.
Yes, I understand that a following car should be far enough away to be able to brake but you know how common tailgating is and to be fair, they would not be exlecting me to brake hard after overtaking them.

My angle of return to the middle lane was very slight ; I'm not a driver who swerves in and out of lanes.

I also wondered about shortening the ACC distance but someone else here said it still can happen.
Neil Ives

sportse

• Approved Member
LKAS at slow speeds
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2021, 02:44:32 PM »
I drove 15k miles in the year before I bought my Jazz using ACC in a Volvo with no issues at all.

The Jazz system isn’t very good unfortunately- it’s not a case of reading the manual.

The Volvo system was radar based, so it looks like the camera system in the Jazz can’t compare to having a radar sensor on the front of the car.  (The new Yaris hybrid has both a camera and a radar sensor and is a direct competitor at a similar price.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:01:58 PM by sportse »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2021, 03:47:31 PM »
I drove 15k miles in the year before I bought my Jazz using ACC in a Volvo with no issues at all.

The Jazz system isn’t very good unfortunately- it’s not a case of reading the manual.

The Volvo system was radar based, so it looks like the camera system in the Jazz can’t compare to having a radar sensor on the front of the car.  (The new Yaris hybrid has both a camera and a radar sensor and is a direct competitor at a similar price.)

My 2016 Toyota RAV4 uses several cameras and radar. The ACC is perfect and the lane keeping nudge is fine too, it is the gentlest of nudges and turns off with one press of a simple physical button.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2021, 08:29:54 PM »
Much as I like my Jazz, the ACC is definitely inferior to my previous car (Golf) with its radar based system. I haven’t experienced any sudden decelerations but even on a clear road the system seems to “hunt”, i.e. you can feel power being applied then released then power again. The Golf was much smoother.

Tags:

anything