Author Topic: 2011 Hybrid Hesitant Starting (Ozzie?)  (Read 1512 times)

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
2011 Hybrid Hesitant Starting (Ozzie?)
« on: September 18, 2021, 12:00:10 PM »
Hello all.
Our 2011 hybrid is beginning NOT to start up properly first time now, it’s taking 2 to 4 attempts to fire up and run. On first key turn it fires up momentarily and then dies.
Mileage is 68k miles and still on original plugs. Last serviced by Honda 4800 miles (18 months) ago. Car runs all OK otherwise and still getting 55+ mpg.

I’m going to try a new air filter and some STP 5 in 1 fuel treatment. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the cost of 8 Iridium spark plugs with dealer fitting (£352!!)…..steel plugs are £150 fitted.

Has anybody else had a similar situation and what was the best way forward to resolve it.

In particular, I was hoping OZZIE the space shuttle mileage driving instructor may also be able to advise having had 2 hybrids @233k and + 135k miles respectively.

I’m loathe to get rid of this car in spite of its recent misbehaviour.

Any help, advice or comments from older model hybrid owners would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Dave C
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: 2011 Hybrid Hesitant Starting (Ozzie?)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 05:38:28 PM »
As the Mk 2 hybrid share the DSI engine with the Mk 1 then you might find some clues in the Mk 1 Jazz forum. This, for example https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8183.0 (but no final update).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: 2011 Hybrid Hesitant Starting (Ozzie?)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 11:29:50 AM »
Hiya,
Sorry for the delay in getting back, (by all means send me a private message if you want my attention  :D).
I have never had any starting issues other than when the battery decided to be tempremental, however I have always had my cars serviced regularly, which due to my high mileage was 4-5 times a year.
I'm wondering if you have oil on your plugs? If you aren't doing much mileage, maybe the car is sitting for a while between drives, and oil seeping through which may be a problem with initial sparks??
Just a thought . . . . .
My answer would be book it in for a service, or at least get the plugs out for an inspection, bear in mind theres 8 of them.
Good luck

Tags: