Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 172557 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »
Thanks....is that as displayed in the car info screens, or calculated from tank input? About 3 mpg different as far as I can tell so far.
The average difference between computer and fuel pump is around 9% on my Mk 3. At the last refill the car claimed 60.8mpg but it was 55mpg according to the pump. The best mpg so far (60.5 mpg @ pump) was when the car was nearly new and I was being gentle with the right foot.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 11:21:18 AM »
During my 20 mile commute (extra urban with 2 miles urban) it's settled down to around 50mpg.

On a drive back from North Wales (180 miles, steady 60 all the way) it managed 67mpg.

Thanks....is that as displayed in the car info screens, or calculated from tank input? About 3 mpg different as far as I can tell so far.
As calculated by me, fill to fill. The display settles on 51.7 for the commute and was showing 64mpg for the long drive home. This is my third Jazz and it's unusual for the dash display to under read.

We seem to have a longer range with the Mk3. Previous Jazz put the orange light on for me at around 340 miles driven. This one doesn't do it until about 420 miles. After my drive home from N. Wales I did a week's commuting before filling up and frankly could probably have got another week done if I didn't mind driving Friday with the orange light on.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 05:23:59 PM »
The range may be slightly longer but the main difference is that the trigger for the low fuel warning is not as conservative as on the previous Jazzes. The fuel gauge seems to be reasonably linear with one segment representing two litres.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 06:31:39 PM »
The range may be slightly longer but the main difference is that the trigger for the low fuel warning is not as conservative as on the previous Jazzes. The fuel gauge seems to be reasonably linear with one segment representing two litres.
Oh, I see! Yeah the Mk2 was ludicrous with its warning light.

Mind you I preferred its fuel gauge. This new one is a little inconspicuous.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:39:29 PM by andruec »

jazzeck

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 05:34:01 PM »
two fills now average 50.2mpg vs Mk2  45.2 i.e 11.1%
Ullage from warning light at 26 miles remaining calculated to be actual of 63 remaining, comparable to Mk2.
Range to empty could be 444 on small sample so far as opposed to 418 with Mk2, so smaller tank to save weight may be justified!!

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 10:46:11 PM »
Now done 900 miles in new CVT Mk3 with average 48.2 mpg (tank fill method)

Very happy with this 11% improvement over my CVT Mk2, very similar usage.

Question: how much improvement have owners of new cars seen as the engine runs in/loosens up?

Thanks

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »
Leisurely journey from southern England to Scotland - mixture of motorway, A and B roads: Filled up when the car said 2 miles remaining and 1 bar on fuel gauge (the warning light came on with reported 35 miles remaining and 2 bars on the gauge). I managed to get 36.78 litres into the tank which indicated 504 miles at 62.3 mpg. Probably helped by the prevailing SW wind. I'll give an update when the whole trip is finished.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2016, 09:03:56 PM »
1483 miles travelled, 107.3 lites used = 62.8 mpg by my reckoning (the car claimed 67.4 mpg). Leisurely, not fast driving - it was a holiday! For comparison, my Jazz hybrid's first trip to Scotland averaged 65.8 mpg. However, this latest trip had more than its fair share of headwind. The light breeze which might have assisted the car while travelling north was a noticeable headwind when coming south.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »
As calculated by me, fill to fill. The display settles on 51.7 for the commute and was showing 64mpg for the long drive home. This is my third Jazz and it's unusual for the dash display to under read.
Actually this has improved. Probably due to the warmer weather (hah!) but the dash is now showing over 53mpg most of the time and fill-to-fill I'm getting 52mpg.

guest6316

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 07:12:49 AM »
Hi Alan,
I'm in a similar position to you I suppose. I collected my Ex CVT (2016 model) only last week. The first tank full already used realised 47.8mpg that was both in town and open road driving. I must confess I was expecting a little better, but hey its new and we are still getting used to each other. My previous Jazz (also bought from new) took about 500miles before it ended up delivering a decent return on mpg.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 07:23:32 AM »
Actually this has improved. Probably due to the warmer weather (hah!) but the dash is now showing over 53mpg most of the time and fill-to-fill I'm getting 52mpg.

That is a much closer match than I get. My fill-to-fill actual was only 2 mpg less than dash on one tankful, but usually about 4 mpg.

I try and be consistent when filling up. I stop filling at first pump shut off, then one more squeeze to second pump shut off. But I fill up at a big variety of places so there may be some variability in how full each tankful really is.

My car has averaged 47.1 mpg over its first 3500 miles. This includes 800 miles with a roof box, running in, and my usual mixture of long and short drives. I do not drive for economy. Best actual fill to fill was 51.5 mpg.

47.1 mpg is 9% better than the overall average I had from my Mk2's 43.3 mpg, except I didn't have the Mk 2 from new, so no running in period.

I am hopeful it will settle down a bit better than 47.1mpg with the running in out of the way.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:32:58 AM by mikebore »

KJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 P reg
Improve MPG?
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 06:44:06 PM »
Hello All.  I don't really trust my on board MPG estimate and prefer to make note of mileage and litres. I fill the tank, make note of the numbers, take it close to empty (but never empty), fill it again.  I get about 43-53 MPG depending on how I drove through the last tank.  Not bad for a 2003 Jazz but I would like a bit more. 

Outside of careful steady driving, is there any way to improve the MPG?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 07:42:56 PM »
One way to improve mpg is to anticipate the need to slow down so that you shut the throttle rather than brake.
Example, ahead you see a reduction in speed limit sign. Don't rush up to it and brake down to the new speed, shut the throttle a couple of hundred yards before the sign and slow down. Time lost is negligible.
The same applies to slowing traffic ahead of you.
Look further ahead than the car in front and you will be able to anticipate more the speed of the traffic and potential hazards ahead and adjust your speed accordingly before having to brake.
Unnecessary braking burns fuel.

Vic.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 04:32:48 PM »
Quite right, Vic. I often like to use this link.

As for MPG - on a recent trip up to see my Dad I managed to get the dash display showing 78.8 mpg at the end of the Stafford/M6 roadworks. I wish they'd been ten miles longer as I might have got it to show 80 :)

Fill-to-fill after the journey back came to 67.4 with a final dash display of - I think - 68.4.

That was 190 miles each way almost all of it at 60mph (50pmh through those roadworks) on cruise control.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:36:51 PM by andruec »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »
6612 miles completed in 7 months in an SE cvt, with 586.7 litres of supermarket RON 95 bought.  This gives 11.27 mpl or 51.23 mpg.  Trip B, running throughout, shows 35 mph and 56.1 mpg, flattering the consumption by nearly 10%.

Tags:

anything