Author Topic: Mk4 4 Jazz is reaching UK Dealers  (Read 7404 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Mk4 4 Jazz is reaching UK Dealers
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 04:10:41 PM »
Yokohama Bluearth ES32 is what I have fitted to my Jazz. So far, I am impressed.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 09:12:01 PM »
I remember reading "Yokohama" but didn't take note of the rest of the name. I was a bit worried to see Dunlop on the Crosstar as some of the Dunlops fitted to some previous Jazzes had poor life expectancy compared to the Michelins fitted on other models of the same vehicle.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 11:45:55 AM »
I was a bit worried to see Dunlop on the Crosstar as some of the Dunlops fitted to some previous Jazzes had poor life expectancy compared to the Michelins fitted on other models of the same vehicle.
Sure, but the grip is double. You must consider that with hybrid vehicles with cvt (as toyotas and hondas), tire wear is usually very low.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:08:13 PM by jazzaro »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 12:09:29 PM »
Sure, but the grip is double.
Great for you Italians but we drive far more sedately, here in the UK, and 99.9% of Jazz owners never get anywhere near the limit of their tyres.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 12:40:34 PM »
Sure, but the grip is double.
we drive far more sedately, here in the UK, and 99.9% of Jazz owners never get anywhere near the limit of their tyres.
This is a further reason to have soft tyres. Driving in "granny style" tyres will have low wear even they are soft.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:28:41 PM by jazzaro »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 06:19:30 PM »
There are differencies in the tyre wear between the brands and specific tyre models. For example I have experienced Michelin to have 30 % higher kilometrage than other well known and appreciated tyre brands such as Continental or Nokian. If "granny style" driving wears less tyres than some other driving habits, there is still the same procentual difference in the kilometrage. Therefore if Michelin is 20 % more expensive than Continental, it is still cheaper in long run. Additionally, the wear rate slows down during the time as the rubber gets harder. I have experienced over 10 year old tyres to be very wear resitant. Naturally some other characteristics are not so good at that time.

My experience regarding Dunlop's wear rate is outdated, but having Dunlops in my new Jazz Dynamic, that will be seen in couple of years.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:30:44 PM by TnTkr »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 09:18:35 PM »
There are differencies in the tyre wear between the brands and specific tyre models. For example I have experienced Michelin to have 30 % higher kilometrage than other well known and appreciated tyre brands such as Continental or Nokian. If "granny style" driving wears less tyres than some other driving habits, there is still the same procentual difference in the kilometrage. Therefore if Michelin is 20 % more expensive than Continental, it is still cheaper in long run. Additionally, the wear rate slows down during the time as the rubber gets harder. I have experienced over 10 year old tyres to be very wear resitant. Naturally some other characteristics are not so good at that time.

My experience regarding Dunlop's wear rate is outdated, but having Dunlops in my new Jazz Dynamic, that will be seen in couple of years.
Michelins last more than other brands, this is well known. This would be a good feature if the rubber would not get old and hard, becoming dangerous in cold or wet weather. I never keep tires with more than 5 years, even if they are not heavily worn.
My Dunlops, Sp Sport 2030 (could be the same model of your Dynamic) lasted for 3 years and 29200 miles, good mileage for my standards.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 05:04:38 AM »
Longer lifetime of a Michelin tyre is not achieved by sacrificing the grip or by rapid aging of the rubber.

The characteristics of the tyre change during the use both because of wear and because of change in rubber. That just has to bee taken into account when driving. It is a strong exaggeration to say, that the tyres become immediately dangerous when getting older and harder. They just change. But withing first 15 years that change is easily less significant than the difference between the different brand new tyres, provided that here is enough tread.

Personally I drive the tyres as long as they are legal and performing sufficiently. Typically this means 3-4 winters for winter tyres and 4-8 summers with summer tyres. But I have also used with driven 20+ year old tyres,  which has been in minimal use in the beginning and gone to me as used with some older car. If there is enough tread, they are still fully usable if driven with care.

By experience I know that typically in 25-30 age the tyre will get a failure in the fabrics causing first  bumping and eventually a tyre failure.

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2020, 07:40:09 AM »
I've been driving for over 45 years on various brands of tyres, I had Michelin fitted to a couple of cars back in the 80's and probably haven't had them on a car since I bought my Jazz 5 years ago.

Possibly back in the day Michelin might have sacrificed a bit of grip for longer life but nowadays I think they have as much grip as any other brands, you would certainly have to drive on the edge to notice any possible difference.

I find the Michelin Energy Savers excellent all round tyres for wear, grip, noise and fuel efficiency. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 08:09:40 AM »
you would certainly have to drive on the edge to notice any possible difference.
I believe this to be the case with any modern tyre. For me, the prime consideration, apart from price, is noise followed by comfort. I have replaced noisy tyres with only a couple of thousand miles on them as nothing is worse than having to shout over the tyre noise

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2020, 09:14:59 AM »
Longer lifetime of a Michelin tyre is not achieved by sacrificing the grip or by rapid aging of the rubber.

The characteristics of the tyre change during the use both because of wear and because of change in rubber. That just has to bee taken into account when driving. It is a strong exaggeration to say, that the tyres become immediately dangerous when getting older and harder. They just change. But withing first 15 years that change is easily less significant than the difference between the different brand new tyres, provided that here is enough tread.

Personally I drive the tyres as long as they are legal and performing sufficiently. Typically this means 3-4 winters for winter tyres and 4-8 summers with summer tyres. But I have also used with driven 20+ year old tyres,  which has been in minimal use in the beginning and gone to me as used with some older car. If there is enough tread, they are still fully usable if driven with care.

By experience I know that typically in 25-30 age the tyre will get a failure in the fabrics causing first  bumping and eventually a tyre failure.
I've never said that at the fifth birthday there is a kinf of click, before a tire is good, after is bad. As you rightly say, tires  just change, I only set at 5 years my personal limit for a "daily careless usage" even if my two set (summer and winter) usually get fully worn before. I also drove old cars with old tires, they can work but you have to remember that the grip on wet weather won't never be comparable to a new tire grip.
you would certainly have to drive on the edge to notice any possible difference.
Yes, true, sometimes I like to do it, it helps me to "feel the car". It must be said that in Italy temperatures can vary much more than in UK, the same car can find 50° during summer and -15°C during winter (at the ground), so it's easier to feel differences in the behaviour even in dry roads. It's well known that very cold weather is heavy for summer tires because they become hard, but also very hot grounds are heavy because the rubber becomes too soft and jelly, and the grip suffers.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2020, 10:14:50 AM »
Walked past my local dealers (Bath Honda) yesterday evening and there was a single MK4 on the forecourt, still with remnants of protective wrapping on it. No idea what spec it was, but the interior looked quite ritzy ... fabric insert on the steering wheel, two-tone upholstery.

Not sure about the exterior styling. I used to think my Mk3 was very "showy" ... too much chrome around the front end. But I must have got used to it, because by contrast the MK4 looks very bland. Not much to distinguish it from the many other hatchbacks out there.

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2020, 09:17:59 PM »
Brochure now available to download from Honda UK website, too large a file to add here.

Very disappointing choice of colours for standard Jazz hybrid.
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 01:44:04 AM »
Yes, that is boooring!

Tags:

anything