Author Topic: Adaptive Cruise Control  (Read 2753 times)

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
Adaptive Cruise Control
« on: June 21, 2022, 07:51:11 PM »
Most of my driving is on country lanes.  However, when I have gone on the motorway, I have used Adaptive Cruise Control a few times.  Sometimes it hasn't gone on ie. set the speed.  I've tried a few times, but as the car slows down when I take my foot off the peddle, after a few attempts I give up.  Other times, it works fine. 

What am I doing wrongly please?

Thanks.

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Adaptive Cruise Control
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 08:20:50 PM »
Might be the intermittent fault some of us have - you press the button and just get a beep (or sometimes an error message as well) and it won’t switch on.

Could be the camera overheating. It’s supposed to give a message saying it’s overheating but doesn’t seem to work, you just get a beep.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 10:19:37 PM »
when I have gone on the motorway, I have used Adaptive Cruise Control a few times.  Sometimes it hasn't gone on ie. set the speed.  I've tried a few times, but as the car slows down when I take my foot off the peddle, after a few attempts I give up.  Other times, it works fine. 

Strange that ACC sometimes works and sometimes not...
Is it possible that when it didn't work you were driving in "B" mode? Then ACC will indeed not work, only in "D" you can use it.
If nothing goes right, go left!

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 11:07:09 PM »
Checking that you've set it on. Inner button (next to cancel) enables it, then outer upper on to set speed. Once both the cruise icon and the cruise speed are green, along with the distance icon ( two parallel lines) becomes bold, then it is active.
You need to have set the cruise type to Speedo with  arrow ( and so not reading speed from signs).I

So check that the icons are turning green.
I found it a faff at start to use it but soon ok.I
You can read the user guide, but it makes heavy work.

You'll also see mixed views on it, with posts on phantom braking, random disengagement, shut downs, and limitations due to using a single camera and no radar.
I've seen no issues and use it with the lane centre self steer on quiet monitor way and dual carriageway.
It has a fairly sharp operation - if approaching a slower car, it doesn't feature off, but keeps speed until gap is reached then brakes. But on quiet roads It is pleasant to use.

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 11:21:12 PM »
I also found it disengages if you are above the set speed when you enable it, or accelerate.
So if you are at 70, and the speed set was at 60, it will stay greyed out when you  press the set bttn. But press again should set it At 70 and then go green as it switches on

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 08:16:58 AM »
I too found it a  bit of a faff when I first started using it.
   Inexperienced users  may , when scrolling round the various controls, inadvertently set the speed limiter thinking they have set ACC.   Limiter also displays a speed but its one it will not exceed, not one it will maintain.    Been there, Done that   :-[  .   I soon learnt what to do intuitively  ,  but after a couple of months without using motorways, I did need to 'refresh' my memory. I knew where I needed to get ,  but had to give it conscious though and a bit of experimentation with switches for a short time  before it was again intuitive. 

Also ACC will disengage if you touch the brake, even lightly.   Some drivers respond to  potential hazards ahead  by unconsciously touching the brake  , without actual deceleration. They typically dont realise they are doing it.  Advanced driving instructors call this  'comfort braking'  and its discouraged.  It seem a good idea to be prepared with your foot already on the brake, but whist of course its a good idea to be fully alert to  a hazard, braking is not always the best solution.  It may be better to swerve, or even accelerate out of danger. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 08:29:20 AM »
along with the distance icon ( two parallel lines) becomes bold, then it is active.

...The 'distance icon' will change dependent on your setting so it may not be two parallel lines, mine is just one line.

Jazzdriver

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 10:39:06 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I am certain that I am not in B mode when doing this and I think that if you are in B mode the car does alert you to the fact that you can't use cruise control. 

I've had cruise control on cars for years.   This one just seems fiddly and when doing 70 mph I am reluctant to spend much time staring at the display and fiddling around.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 10:54:49 AM »
I've had cruise control on cars for years.   This one just seems fiddly and when doing 70 mph I am reluctant to spend much time staring at the display and fiddling around.

I agree.

My trade in for the Jazz had adaptive cruise control that was radar based - I never had an issue with it at all.

Simple big buttons on the steering wheel too.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 11:34:56 AM »
I've had cruise control on cars for years.

Me too...

This one just seems fiddly and when doing 70 mph I am reluctant to spend much time staring at the display and fiddling around.

After some 10 months I switch on ACC "blindfolded" (I mean without looking... I don't drive blindfolded).  8)
Talking about fiddling: our previous car had a separate "stick" to operate the cruise control, nicely hidden under the steering wheel...

If nothing goes right, go left!

Topgun

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Mk 4
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 10:31:58 AM »
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but...
Is it possible to just use normal, bog standard, cruise control if you wish to, or is it adaptive cruise control or nothing?

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 10:51:26 AM »
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but...
Is it possible to just use normal, bog standard, cruise control if you wish to, or is it adaptive cruise control or nothing?

Sadly not :( On many cars you can double press the adaptive cruise control button to switch it to ordinary cruise control instead - but not on the Jazz unfortunately.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 01:46:47 PM »
I currently use ACC on most roads. I find it reassuring that it will maintain distance from the car in front and stop me if something pulls out in front of me. I'm always ready to intervene if neccessary. For instance;  I'm not keen on the way the system leaves braking quite late when the car in front has stopped so I cancel the ACC and brake more progressively in those situations.
Neil Ives

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 09:09:41 PM »
Neil, im a big user of ACC aswell, have grown to understand and like it, and I pretty much use it just like you  ;D

wemweb

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: HONDA Jazz 1.5 h i-MMD Crosstar EX eCVT Euro 6 (s/s) 5dr HYBRID
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2023, 02:14:58 PM »
Recent owner of Honda Jazz Crosstar and today I tried out the Adaptive Cruise Control - wow.
Superb little diggerydoo. I did 28.7 miles average speed 60mph and averaged  82mpg

Tags:

anything