Author Topic: Front alloys are HOT and rubber burning smell  (Read 1502 times)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
Front alloys are HOT and rubber burning smell
« on: June 18, 2022, 01:00:16 PM »
Hi, ive recently treated myself with  Toyota Verso-S cvt as the Jazz is getting in and out is a bit of a challenge with my bad back.

So, since Ive bought the Verso-s I didn't use my 2006 cvt Jazz for 2 weeks. So, I took the Jazz for a drive today and after a 10 minutes drive I felt a small rubber burning smell. During the drive Ive also noticed the brakes were pretty still. I thought since I now start driving the Verso I forgot how the Jazz brakes were like.

When checked all x4 wheels after this 10 minutes drive the front two was so hot. Rear two wasn't.

I was going to sell the Jazz as I no longer needs it and ive paid n booked an MOT as well to carry out in 4days time so I can sell it witj the 1yr MOT. This car has been solid all this time with me for the last 2yrs or so as O looked it after like a baby.

I really dont wanna pay to a garage and wonder if I should drive more and eventually the front brake callipers start back to normal again or what.

Also, to avoid sticky Front callipers if I was to park the car and not use it for a longer time, how should I park it? Should I use the hand brakes or not?
Your advices are hugely appreciated.  Tia!

Ive done this to check if the vacuum pump is working OK or not after seeing a YouTube video and it seems fine- switched off the engine,  pushed the brake paddle down 7 times and hold it down at the 7th one and started the engine. The brake paddle went further down upon starting the engine. But when driving its still stiff. Previously
Hot front two alloys seems to have settled now and its not hot as how it used to be on my second drive today after a 2hr break in between.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 03:33:50 PM by mj1sjc »

bill888

• Approved Member
Re: Front alloys are HOT and rubber burning smell
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 06:45:38 PM »
If your car has the original brake calipers from new, there is probably corrosion on the brake caliper pistons, preventing the pistons from retracting.  At some point, they may eventually seize up.

There were several cases of seized brake calipers 18 months ago on this forum, probably caused by all the 'wet' weather we had across the UK at the time.

My car suffered from a seized front caliper last year.  Burning rubber and alloy wheel too hot touch after 10 minutes. When I sprayed water onto the caliper through the alloy wheel spokes, the water boiled off and turned to steam!

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12753.msg94849#msg94849

I replaced both rear calipers two months ago.  Rear brakes actually worked fine.  But I couldn't wind back the piston on one of the rear calipers, so had no choice but to replace the calipers so I could fit new pads.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 07:09:17 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 11:32:52 AM »
I've had all bar the front offside calipers replaced at different times. The rear offisde and front nearside went at the same time, prompting the mechanic to initially suspect a faulty ABS pump until a test confirmed it was working OK.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 08:06:57 AM »
You might get some  temporary improvement by giving the calipers a good wash with soapy water  to remove accumulated brake dust,etc  that might be clogging  sliding parts.      Dont use a stiff brush(and especially not a wire one)  or a power washer    unless you are absolutely sure there are no rubber seals ,as these are easily damaged.    Dont use an air hose as this releases dust.     Washing down is much safer for the user. 

A soft car washing type brush  and gentle pressure from a  garden hose should be ok.

Doing this from time to time can help  delay such problems, but its no substitute  for a proper brake overhaul.   And  it might not work  ,  or worst still might work  on one side but not the other,leaving you with uneven braking that wont pass the mot .(It may not pass anyway as it is )

But selling a car  knowing it has existing or potential safety issues  (,without making this clear  to the buyer)  is not ethical,  and may be illegal, even for a private seller.   If you know there is a potential safety issue that you havnt done anything to fix   the fact it managed to pass  an mot doesnt necessarily absolve you of any responsibilities.   The mot is not a 100% guarantee of roadworthyness.   
For instance if the brakes are cold when it starts the mot  the hubs etc may still be turning freely enough for whatever checks are made on wheel bearing play etc. And when given a short test on the rollers my still retard efficiently and evenly  .      But when the new owner takes a longer drive they may overheat, causing  brake failure or even a fire.

By the way brakes can get hot enough to burn your fingers or boil off water instantly  and maybe smell a bit  (Eau de ferodo )  even when in good condition and used moderately.   It doesnt necessarily mean there is a problem.  But a burning rubber smell ,heat and smoke thats obviously excessive for the circumstances  and other symptoms of binding brakes   are good indicators. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 12:42:40 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 08:26:49 AM »
During washing I'm guilty of using the pressure washer to give the pads to discs gap a quick blast from a few feet. Never had any issues.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 12:03:47 PM »
During washing I'm guilty of using the pressure washer to give the pads to discs gap a quick blast from a few feet. Never had any issues.
Me too.  pressure washer is not a problem as long as you are sensible and its from a safe distance.  But you have to be cautious . Very high pressure from too close a distance  can damage rubber parts, flatten cooling fins on radiators and air con condensers,penetrate electrical components, damage abs and pad wear sensor wires   strip paint etc etc.     It can also damage stone , and injure humans and animals. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 03:42:48 PM »
Ive got a local garage to lubricate the caliper pins but he said its the callipers. Have ordered a feont pair on Ebay and hopefully this issue will get sorted once the new pair had been installed.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 08:33:09 AM »
Ive got a local garage to lubricate the caliper pins but he said its the callipers. Have ordered a feont pair on Ebay and hopefully this issue will get sorted once the new pair had been installed.
Don’t throw the originals away, they have a small value as they can be refurbished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 09:20:43 PM »
No I haven't. I learnt so much about Jazz from this forum thanks to you all. Im keeping the original Nissin front two callipers so one day I can get it refurbished by "Biggred" company. Thanks!

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 09:30:36 PM »
So, I've replaced the front two callipers with callipers what I bought from Ebay for a £60 for the pair. Brakes are much better afterwards.

I had it MOT'd it today and it passed with flying colours. Sadly I have advertised it now to sell on Autotrader as I bought a bigger car already now which suits my needs.

The car what I bought was the Toyota Verso-S 1.33 cvt engine with 98bhp but I must say no toyota cvt's can beat Honda Jazz cvt's nor come closer. Honda Jazz cvt's pick up speed is much greater than Toyota cvt's. This verso-s has this engine brake option when go down hill and its soooo annoying and sometimes you feels youre not fully in control of the car.

Tags:

anything