Author Topic: Spare wheel clamp - does it fit ?  (Read 1083 times)

Blue Sky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Honda Jazz EX
Spare wheel clamp - does it fit ?
« on: June 05, 2022, 03:55:14 PM »
I have elected to carry a full size spare wheel  of the same pattern and  specification as the road wheels and am concerned about securing it in case of the unthinkable, to need to know does the standard  space saver spare wheel clamp fit a standard wheel, i.e. is the threaded portion long enough?

And yeah I know about the standard road wheel centre boss held in place with a spring clip but that isn't important, to be easily removed and refitted as needs be.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Re: Spare wheel clamp - does it fit ?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 06:17:17 AM »
I think it is the same threaded 'clamp' but the wheel upside down if you know what I mean?

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 08:54:37 AM »
Have been looking at this myself and presume that the screw thread is the same for much of the Honda range of around that era, although cannot check at the moment as my son's new car is parked right up against my Jazz due to limited parking space - will check as soon as I can.

However, having looked on ebay I can confirm is that there appears to be two different lengths of screw for the clamp.  A short one for the spacesaver only and another (as aphybrid says) that is for either spacesaver or full size wheel where the "top hat" metal clamp is reversed, depending on the type of wheel.  In addition it looks as if the reach of the clamp's screw can be adjusted with a free running nut.

HTH

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 10:15:13 AM »
Yes the Honda clamp will fit, you need to nick the carpet dead-on above the hole. Completed this very job on several mk2 Jazz's.

Keekster71

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 08:33:05 PM »
I used the standard clamp which I bought off eBay from a dealer. You fit the wheel upside down
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 09:49:21 AM »
If the standard clamp is not long enough  you could always extend it using a long nut and some threaded  rod, or cutting a length from a bolt .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291743324042?hash=item43ed41d78a:g:9lUAAOSwYmZXF2~i
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 11:20:44 AM »
I install my full size spare, upside down. Pushed over to the left side of the well.
 Retained with a screw and large washer, through one of the wheel mounting holes.

This allows storage, in the wheel. Also extra space, to the right hand side of the wheel.....
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 07:54:02 PM »
I suspect the clamp and bolt in the back of your MK2 is the same as the one in the MK1 and 3. In which case, to fit a standard wheel, you need to have the alloy wheel face down, then the retaining cup inverted so that it fits into the centre hole.

The bolt should be long enough as I believe it was designed for both a full size and a space saver. But just for info, if you want to get a longer bolt, I actually bought one with a plastic thumb-turn which is easier to use. It's an M8 bolt btw.

Tags: