Author Topic: Lambda sensor replaced when Cat converter got stolen. Now Engine Light is on  (Read 3839 times)

therandike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2008 CVT 61KW 83HP
My jazz is a 2008 CVT 1.3
Catalytic converter got stolen. So, I went to the local garage told them to put an aftermarket cat converter and exhaust section. Lambda sensor were also third party.

I have been getting 44-45mpg which is same as before the aftermarket kit.  from a full tank I did 345miles. and some fuel was left. ( indicator was on the redline)

somehow I keep getting sensor error and engine light comes up. this is the front sensor. ( engine light was cleared after fitting the sensors)  It keeps coming back if I go in to higher motorway speeds 70+mph

it says sensor 1 error high voltage or something similar to that.

what can cause this ?

fuel usage is the same as before 345m
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 12:49:08 PM by therandike »

E27006

• Approved Member
There are two sensors,  there are many non-OEM sensors, some costing as little as £15,  find out if the garage fitted a cheap universal  DIY wire up sensor or a more expensive £30 - £35 sensor.
Lucas part numbers LEB 455 and a LEB 456  (one of each required)  are the sensors for the Jazz and cost around £65 - £70 for the pair,  working in my car with no error lights
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 12:04:31 PM by E27006 »

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
If the sensor before CAT converter giving me the error code, then what can that be ?  this is only after I replaced cat and exhaust with sensors. Engine light comes on if I drive at 75-80mph for few mins.

could this be the third party sensor?

E27006

• Approved Member
If the sensor before CAT converter giving me the error code, then what can that be ?  this is only after I replaced cat and exhaust with sensors. Engine light comes on if I drive at 75-80mph for few mins.

could this be the third party sensor?

I would be underneath the car and under the bonnet checking the routing of the cable of the sensor and the integrity of the cable plug and socket,  I would then  change the sensor,  a Lucas part is only £35

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Where can I find these parts? I did google them but not much luck? Can you tell me where I can buy them please

E27006

• Approved Member
Where can I find these parts? I did google them but not much luck? Can you tell me where I can buy them please

The description you provide for the model of your car is ambiguous,  1.3 CVT 2008, please establish the precise  model name  which Honda applies to your Jazz
Here is a link to a Honda parts catalogue to help you check the part number

https://www.parts-honda.uk/

There may be subtle differences in the parts and part numbers between CVT and manual cars year by year, so it is wise to check
Ebay is a good source of the sensors, for example  for a Honda Jazz 2006 1.4SE manual transmission,  Lucas LEB455 and LEB 456 (one of each ) are the correct parts for around £37 each.  Ebay is the place to search.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 09:47:02 AM by E27006 »

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Hi Thank for your help.

My Honda jazz is the S4SES CVT automatic 2008 . VIN number - JHMGD18908S206581

When I look up the Honda website Sensor part number comes up as - 36531-PWA-903  this is the front one before the CAT converter. 

This is the one that throws up an error and cause the engine light to come up.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.

GarringtonL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz 1.4
Hi,
I've had the same issue for 2 years now on my daughters Jazz, o2 sensor pre cat. Lot's of OEM ones fitted but light returns every time it's reset. I've just put a post up about a misfire that's developed.
If anyone can sort this out I would love to know how, it's been driving me mad, car still returns excellent MPG
Best of luck.

E27006

• Approved Member
Hi,
I've had the same issue for 2 years now on my daughters Jazz, o2 sensor pre cat. Lot's of OEM ones fitted but light returns every time it's reset. I've just put a post up about a misfire that's developed.
If anyone can sort this out I would love to know how, it's been driving me mad, car still returns excellent MPG
Best of luck.

Just to clarify a point, you have replaced the sensor more than once, and each time you are trying the correct sensor but from a  different manufacturer?  After replacing the sensor, does the light return immediately after a reset? Or can you drive the car for a day / week / fortnight etc before the light turns on? 

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Hi,
Best of luck.

Same I get good MPG too.

If I drive the car below 70mph on flat road its fine. but if accelerate  little more to 75-80mph then light comes on.   The moment I go on to a bit of an incline even at 50mph lights comes on. car leap forward a bit too. does this happen to you as well?   also if I accelerate suddenly then engine lights comes on again. any of these happening to you ?

Never happened before the Cat got stolen.   

GarringtonL

• Approved Member
Hi, sorry but been away. I don't have those symptoms, my eml stays off for a day then stays on.
When your cat was stolen did they cut the wire to the front sensor or like mine did they rip it out ? I think when the garage replaced the sensor they've put the wires back in the socket from the engine harness incorrectly. Problem is I can't find out which wire goes where in the socket, Haynes book doesn't show a wiring diagram and no one seems to know either.
From the engine wiring harness I have green/yellow -black/white-white-black/yellow.
From sensor I have 2xwhite-grey-black.
Which connects to which ??
Hope yours is sorted.

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Hi,

Mine was ripped apart. I bet the garage wired sensor wrongly. Since I always get the error from Bank 1 sensor 1 which is the front sensor. I might just need to check how the rear sensor is wired and copy that to the front sensor.

all the other symptoms i mentioned might be related to a failing fuel pump.

I am going to a garage this week. If i solve the sensor issue I will let you know.

GarringtonL

• Approved Member
Hi, could I be cheeky and ask you to take a picture of the engine harness wires to the plug that connects to the front sensor. I believe this is my issue too.
thanks in advance

Tags:

anything