Author Topic: Rear Jacking Point?  (Read 4595 times)

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
Rear Jacking Point?
« on: May 20, 2019, 02:40:19 PM »
I wanted to have a look at the state of my rear discs and pads, so jacked the Jazz up this morning. As far as I can tell, the rear tow eye also acts as a jacking point?! Or am I doing something wrong. I could not find anything else at the rear that I thought would be sturdy enough.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Rear Jacking Point?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »
There are four jacking points, two each side at each end of the door sills.
They are not obvious but are flat areas where the jack pad goes.
Do not use the towing eye point, it is not designed to take vertical loads.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 03:50:29 PM »
According to the Haynes manual, Honda suggest the rear towing eye for jacking. The Haynes manual also states you can jack under the rear spring plates.
Seemingly, on earlier models, there was also a jacking point just behind the front bumper.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 04:22:31 PM »
I would not be happy using the towing point as the only point of lift as the car is only resting on one point with both rear wheels off the ground ( so car can rock side to side and handbrake is doing nothing ) - chock the front wheels and get some axle stands under the car ASAP. I prefer to lift car one side at a time and still chock the wheels that are touching the ground and also use an axle stand as well as the jack if any part of me is going to be under the car - I have seen too many 'accidents ' that were actually carelessness and bad practice.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 05:43:26 PM »
The Haynes manual says to lift the body then put axle stands under the sill jack points or under the rear spring plates.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:05:07 PM »
You can easily tell if you have not jacked it correctly.  The car tilts to one side and your legs go numb.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 06:59:16 AM »
I had a FIAT 500 roll off the jack once and land in my lap, as I sat cross-legged, working on a front brake. Car was in gear, and with the handbrake on, but that didn't stop it. Luckily it was the light end, of a tiny car, and my brother was their to get it jacked back up.

Like this one:

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 04:04:23 PM »
I should have mentioned that I had 2 x 2 tonne axle stands that were put either side at the sills once the car was lifted, I was not working on the vehicle while it was purely on the jack. An engineering brick also went under each of the front wheels. I also noted from a general Google that the rear towing eye is mentioned several times as the correct spot for the rear, which also baffled me, but I could not find anything else at the rear that I thought would be a better alternative.

I will have another look when the car is on the ramp at a friend's garage next week.

Tags:

anything