Author Topic: Shall I buy this Mk2 Jazz that I found rust on?  (Read 5556 times)

guest6644

Shall I buy this Mk2 Jazz that I found rust on?
« on: February 20, 2017, 06:33:03 AM »
Hi guys,

I've been looking at Jazz / Fits for the past two weeks and I thought I'd found this gem of a Mk 2, 2008 model Jazz. I was so happy with it until I saw this rust on the inside of the rear wheel arch at the bottom. It's on both sides of the car, but only the rear. I don't know if it's worth buying, despite an attractive price.

Any advice? I'm a novice, but I don't mind getting my hands dirty with a bit of DIY-fixing if there are guides out there to show me the way.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
Re: Shall I buy this Mk2 Jazz that I found rust on?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 08:48:22 AM »
Personally it looks fairly serious and not worth the effort. Plenty of non-rusty jazzes about. That is extreme for a Jazz in my opinion.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:14:52 AM »
I would not.

At that extreme, you can only delay it - not fix it..

Did you look underneath? Could be a lot worse.
As above , look elsewhere.. UNLESS it is VERY cheap.

guest6644

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:42:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Just to add a bit more info

I didn't look underneath, but checked under the hood and spare wheel and the chassis looks as clean as any car I've seen.

The going rate for these in my neck of the woods is between USD$6,500- $7,000, but I know the owner of this would accept a tad over $5,000.

I'm actually in Hong Kong but just changed the currency for ease. It's a significant saving, but if the rust is too far advanced to be saved then I won't go for it.

There are plenty about I'll just have to be patient. It's hard to though because I've been wanting one of these for nearly a month and I sold my old car last week.

I was hoping I could get a good deal on this one and spray some kind of magic fix... wishful thinking I know  :D

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »
Hi, I understand how you feel. i wonder if it is so bad because of living near the sea and a humid climate. most of the UK is just wet, not often humid and little salt in the air (unless the council have been dumping it on the roads after the frost)! :)

guest6644

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 02:19:28 PM »
Hi, I understand how you feel. i wonder if it is so bad because of living near the sea and a humid climate. most of the UK is just wet, not often humid and little salt in the air (unless the council have been dumping it on the roads after the frost)! :)

It probably has something to do with it, although I've seen many examples without any rust, from the Mk 1 series too. This one was in the district near the harbour though. Good call on that.

I think I'll just have to be patient and wait for the right one to come along. I've never owned a car in the UK but my sister did when I was growing up. It was an old banger (Cortina) and so it did have rust but eh, beggars can't be choosers.

I am determined to pick myself up one of these sweet little motors though.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
I had a Mk III Cortina estate, great for bunging prams and pushchairs into the boot :)
I suddenly found I could afford a Jazz (getting on now age wise) and bought a 2013 Jazz ex dealer ramp around with 6000 miles and haven't looked back. I have two sons one has a Mk1 2008 Si I think (i only selected and paid) :)  The other has a 2010 CVT (cos his wife only passed her test in an automatic) but they have all been very good. I'm on over 60,000 miles now with trips to south of France and north of England  and it hasn't missed a beat. Front pads at 55,000 miles, front tyres at 48,000 miles and rears still original. Treating it with wiper blades all round for MOT next month :)
If anyone now says to me should I get a Citroen or VW golf I say if you want to keep on spending fine, if you don't get a Jazz. They have an old peoples car stigma in the UK but it is very misplaced and I'm glad to see new members here less than half my age. If you can find a Jazz without the rot then go for it, they have a few niggles at times but they don't let you down. (There speaks someone who has had three cam belts break on different cars all not at half way time to change millage)! Good luck with your search

guest6644

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 01:08:35 AM »
Thanks!  ;)

I think I'll need a bit of luck and a lot of patience. Jazz / Fits command a very high price here because of their popularity. They're highly suitable for the city roads and narrow parking spaces.

I've heard about the old lady stigma the car carries in the UK. I understand it, but I read that it was probably more down to marketing than anything else. In asia the 1.5L version has somewhat of a cult following. They look gorgeous and I test drove one last night that was like a dream. Manuals command a premium over here because the dealers tend to import the CVT models only so I'll probably go with the CVT as well.

Well, when I finally get one I'll be sure to proudly update my profile with a pic. Look out for the grin in the window's reflection.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 12:32:33 PM »
Given that the car is Hong Kong where labour is less expensive than UK then it might be worthwhile talking to a vehicle repairer to get an estimate of the cost of patching up or removing the rusty metal and replacing with something more solid. If the car will only be used within Hong Kong then mechanical condition is likely to be the primary consideration.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest6644

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 07:20:16 AM »
Given that the car is Hong Kong where labour is less expensive than UK then it might be worthwhile talking to a vehicle repairer to get an estimate of the cost of patching up or removing the rusty metal and replacing with something more solid. If the car will only be used within Hong Kong then mechanical condition is likely to be the primary consideration.

You're right on the money. Labour and parts are cheaper over here because there are many spares + non-OEM new parts that are also designed for Hondas and Toyotas. That makes those two brands the most favourable which is precisely why they command such a high price on the used market over here.

I've decided against that car though, I'd rather avoid all the work necessary. I've actually negotiated the purchase of a GE8 RS model now. Not much patience needed in the end. Fingers crossed it goes through...  ;D

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »
Hi. I had to google that GE8 RS model, look nice (and sporty). in the UK we only get a  1.2 and 1.4 engine apart from the 1.3 hybrid I think not the 1500cc in the fit so we don't really get any sporty models. The market with the biggest take up here though goes for fuel efficiency and reliability which these options fit well. Some would like more go but there are Civics to cater for that if you want to stick to Honda. sad really we are being swamped these days by Hyundai  but they seem to have grabbed a following with price, equipment and warranty.
Wife says are we going to change but to be honest I don't see any reason to. now I have a Honda I don't see any need to change until I get a newer version when I have to :)

guest6644

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 03:32:36 AM »

Yeah this version looks very nice, and the previous owner put a Mugen bodykit on it also which is a nice value-adding bonus. I'm delighted to say that I've paid a deposit for my Fit RS but getting a professional inspection done this weekend first. Fingers crossed everything is fine as I expect it to be and I'll be driving this thing from Wednesday.

This model is actually an import from Japan, but people have been regularly bringing them into Hong Kong from the previous model, the GD3 from 2002-2008. It's strange that Honda never brought them in themselves because they are by far the most popular model, with near-identical fuel economy, 25% more power, and being in the same road tax bracket (Under 1500cc).

In Hong Kong you will see just as many of the imports as the 'official' models, which uses the 1.3 petrol, and hybrids only. And with parts a-plenty, maintenance costs should be pretty low too.

I have to agree with you JohnAlways. There's no need to change away from a Honda unless you need a different body style. These cars are great little runarounds and have a fantastic reputation for being low maintenance

Tags: