Author Topic: MOT work, steering wheel not straight.  (Read 1116 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
MOT work, steering wheel not straight.
« on: October 05, 2019, 07:46:44 AM »
One year on and I'm dead happy with Bob the Jazz (I know, childish naming your car but the reg starts YB08). Space and ease of driving great, comfort good, noise could be better especially on the motorway which I'm doing a fair bit of lately.

It's just got its MOT and had both front lower suspension arms replaced for worn bushes and a ball joint. I understand that's not uncommon and for under £140 parts and labour didn't seem bad. However, now the steering wheel isn't quite straight. Perhaps 5 degrees off. I've no doubt they'll put it right but I'm off to Manchester tomorrow (100 mile round trip from Bradford) before they'll be able to sort it. So I wondered if it's anything I should be worried about, as it could be the wheel alignment is out. Brakes in a straight line still.

Interestingly the guys at the garage said the new parts come with a years warranty adding make sure you come for the next MOT before that runs out! I'm planning on keeping Bob for a while so maybe next year I'll be on here asking where I can get quality suspension arms at a reasonable price  ::)
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: MOT work, steering wheel not straight.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 08:29:44 AM »
I'd pop in to my local tyre fitters today, and get the alignment checked. Tell them the wheel is off though. It is possible to have correct alignment but a bit more on one track rod than the other, leading to a little wheel misalignment.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 08:38:51 AM »
The garage were most apologetic for forgetting to tell me the tracing needed to be done. They're so small they don't have the gear to do it themselves. It's done now. The wheel is straight again.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 09:52:31 AM »
The garage were most apologetic for forgetting to tell me the tracing needed to be done. They're so small they don't have the gear to do it themselves. It's done now. The wheel is straight again.

I can undertstand that. It's good practise to check the tracking after changing a wishbone, but sometimes you get away it.

Tags: