Author Topic: Any thoughts on a reliable 12v car tyre pump/ compressor?  (Read 1911 times)

guest4871

Any thoughts on a reliable 12v car tyre pump/ compressor?
« on: October 07, 2017, 03:02:21 PM »
My trusty Michelin 12v tyre pump/ compressor expired a while ago and I purchased a Ring pump/ compressor as recommended by Auto Express.

The new one has a life of its own. Sometimes it is fine, sometimes it is not. By the time I have checked the tyre with a pressure gauge, and let the air out in the process, I have to start all over again.

I have the impression that 12v tyre pumps/ compressors these days are not what they were.

Does anyone have a 12v car tyre pump/ compressor they would swear by and which is still on the market?

What I would like is one that is ideally: consistent, accurate (ish) and auto stop!

If the general view is that an analogue one without auto stop is best, so be it.

It should be electric, although I am beginning to think a foot pump might be best!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Any thoughts on a reliable 12v car tyre pump/ compressor?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:06:26 PM »
I have just bought an Ring RAC635 and think it is great. I also have an old Ring compressor as well. I find the 635 is spot on for pressure, as measured by my RACE X RX0014 Tyre Pressure Gauge, so now I just go by the digital display on the pump. Sorry to hear you have problems with yours. I too bought it on Auto Express' recommendation. Best mini air compressor, 2016.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 08:46:48 PM »
Fed up of cheap tyre pumps, I bought one of the metal pump Chinese ones from Maplin many years ago for about 20 quid. Simple and ugly, but they have a continuous rated motor, a ball bearing on the big end of the con rod, and doesn't sound like a can of bolts. It's getting a bit tatty now, but it's still going strong despite the work it's had... it must be the longest lived and most abused tyre pump I've ever had. It's pumped up car & 4x4 tyres, mower tyres, trailer tyres, bikes, wheelbarrows, the lot.

Just bought another almost identical one to leave in the Jazz - about a tenner off fleabay, but it came missing its rubber feet... they knocked 30% off as compensation. I found some old rubber feet that fitted perfectly in the shed. Seems okay, but not quite as well made as the old one... hope it lasts as long.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 06:31:46 PM »
Try a visit to your local car breaker, either ask for  a used air pump or hunt around for one out of Vw Audi Skoda or even Honda.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »
The one supplied along with the dreaded gunge, instead of a spare wheel seems to be quite robust and pretty accurate. It is also German so it must be good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That is if the old fashioned type of pressure gauge is still accurate, they always used to be.
As suggested try a breakers for a Mk2 I don't know if the Mk1 or 111 had them.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »
I have a £9.99 RAC branded pump but it's no different to anything you would get from Lidl/Aldi on offer; it dances around if you don't hold it & I would not really trust the reading it gives, more of a guide ~30ish.  Getting free air at Sainsburys is my usual plan (hate spending the 20p and running round elsewhere) as I believe the garage gauge should be quite accurate.  I've built up quite a map of supermarkets near main roads such as the Stevenage Sainsburys off the A1.
--
TG

Tags: