Author Topic: Changing from Inflation Kit to space saver tyre  (Read 5790 times)

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: Changing from Inflation Kit to space saver tyre
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2021, 01:20:45 PM »

What happens when the AA do turn up ? They aren't going to 'give' you a spare wheel and I wouldn't want them taking a perfectly good wheel in exchange so how does it work ?

The AA use a universal spare wheel to get you to a tyre repair place, so the repair/replacement can be done.

https://www.theaa.com/about-us/newsroom/innovation-and-technology/aa-multi-fit-wheel

Useful info, thanks.

I guess that works during 'office hours' when tyre shops are open but I tend to drive from Heathrow to Reading around 05:00. I wonder what happens in the dead of night.

https://www.24hrmobiletyres.co.uk/

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2021, 01:44:29 PM »
I purchased a space saver wheel,Jack and wheelbrace off Ebay. The wheel fits snugly in the boot well along with the tools and other bits and bobs that I carry. There is no means to fasten the wheel to the boot floor, but I'm satisfied it's secure enough.

Don't underestimate the damage a 15Kg plus spare wheel can do in the event of a serious accident - the boot floor and rear seats won't stop it.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2021, 07:41:11 PM »
Don't underestimate the damage a 15Kg plus spare wheel can do in the event of a serious accident - the boot floor and rear seats won't stop it.

Good advice. I recall some road safety advice years ago, along the lines of in an impact, a rear passenger without a seat belt would be the equivalent of your being hit by a rhino.

Sobering video:

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2021, 07:09:31 AM »
One of my step-daughters got in the back of the car and didn't buckle up. When I asked her to fasten her belt, she said: "it's only a couple of miles". So I said: "right, out and walk. You are not travelling behind your mum or me with no belt on". She fastened her belt, and I have never had to say another word since.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2021, 07:16:52 AM »
I purchased a space saver wheel,Jack and wheelbrace off Ebay. The wheel fits snugly in the boot well along with the tools and other bits and bobs that I carry. There is no means to fasten the wheel to the boot floor, but I'm satisfied it's secure enough.

If the car is rolling over a spare wheel definitely causes injuries when hitting your head. But of course same applies to everything you are carrying in the boot.

My mother was lucky not to get hit by a portable TV when she rolled over her car 30 years ago. TV went through the side window.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2021, 11:50:02 AM »
My Jazz have fixing brackets in the boot.
I use them.
Anyone want to be hit by a box of angry bees? Not me.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2021, 12:23:06 PM »
I use them.

I don't think anyone would want to help you either!  ;D

Tethering is a good point - you could at least affix the spare wheel to a secure tethering point with a bit of chain and a d-link, or a steel cable.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2021, 01:43:23 PM »
I use them.
In the 1960’s I helped a friend to move a hive of bees 20 miles in West Yorkshire with me in the passenger seat of an A35 van leaning into the back to hold the lid on the hive.  A large pothole resulted in an emergency stop and we got out quickly to wait for the bees to settle down.  Never again!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2021, 02:43:00 PM »
I use them.
In the 1960’s I helped a friend to move a hive of bees 20 miles in West Yorkshire with me in the passenger seat of an A35 van leaning into the back to hold the lid on the hive.  A large pothole resulted in an emergency stop and we got out quickly to wait for the bees to settle down.  Never again!

I collected a swarm from outside Birmingham, duly put them in a box and drove home up the M6.
After about 20 miles, I felt movement on my jeans around the crotch area (!) and surprise it was a bee.

Two miles later it was 10 bees - . Fortuantely services were near AND I was wearing a beejacket - the veil was not in use for driving - and I  stopped, found the hole, gaffer taped it up and wnt along happily. Lost the 10 bees though at the service station...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2021, 03:31:19 PM »
I transferred a large aquarium of tropical fish once. That was a treat!

fatal

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz 1.3se Mk3
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2021, 04:31:25 PM »

I assume you also strap down all suitcases, shopping etc every time you have them in the car. Believe me I'm well aware of what damage can happen in vehicle collisions and roll overs.
I think therefore I'm not.

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2021, 05:47:36 PM »
I bought an identical alloy wheel for my 2018 SE with an excellent Michelin ESaver for £55 plus £15 for the retaining wheel boot clamp and jack from a breaker.  The spare is secured with the aforementioned clamp which screws down onto the boot floor.
Don’t pay more than £75 for a good alloy and good tyre, much better value than a SSaver.
I understand the post 2018 Jazzes have a different boot floor which can’t accommode  a spare tyre.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »
I assume you also strap down all suitcases, shopping etc every time you have them in the car. Believe me I'm well aware of what damage can happen in vehicle collisions and roll overs.

Actually, I do secure heavy luggage when travelling on holiday, and the dog too, who has a harness. As for shopping, I don't drive everywhere with shopping in the boot, nor are the contents of your average shopping bags going to kill you at the speeds most people do on local roads.

I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just pointing out that putting the boot mat over it does not make it secure. If you're happy with the way you have the wheel secured, that's great - I'm just pointing out that having a 15Kg lump loose in the boot is not safe in an accident.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 08:48:53 PM by sparky Paul »

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2021, 10:30:30 AM »

Actually, I do secure heavy luggage when travelling on holiday, and the dog too, who has a harness. As for shopping, I don't drive everywhere with shopping in the boot, nor are the contents of your average shopping bags going to kill you at the speeds most people do on local roads.

I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just pointing out that putting the boot mat over it does not make it secure. If you're happy with the way you have the wheel secured, that's great - I'm just pointing out that having a 15Kg lump loose in the boot is not safe in an accident.

+1, good post.

Plasma.

Tags:

anything