Author Topic: How to Protect Against Catalytic Convertor Theft?  (Read 1077 times)

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
How to Protect Against Catalytic Convertor Theft?
« on: July 23, 2022, 05:16:49 PM »
As this is still on the increase and with Honda Jazz's one of the main targets, I'm just wondering if anyone has come across a cost-effective and simple way to prevent your cat being stolen?

I've seen a number of youtube videos on this suggesting things like smart water and having the cat completely covered in steel bars/plates, but I'm not too keen on these. I don't think smart water is much of a deterrent as the thieves can't see it and I heard many are simply shipping the cats abroad.

The coverings seem like an effective solution but it's heavy and makes maintenance a pain. I'm fortunate in that my driveway is very steep, so not a good idea to jack the car up. But we often have to park on the streets and as I've spoken to a number of locals who have had their cat stolen, it makes me think I ought to look into doing something about it.

Anyone come across some interesting ideas?

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
Re: How to Protect Against Catalytic Convertor Theft?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 10:19:24 PM »
Think this pertains to the earlier variant.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 06:02:12 AM »
I'm sure I read that from the MK2 the cat is in the engine bay.
Let's be careful out there !

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 12:34:27 AM »
Thanks guys, that's good to know! We also have a Honda FRV in the family which we have to park on the road so it would still be good to see what options there are protect the cat.

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 02:28:24 AM »
Actually, scrap that! I've just been told that the FRV has the cat in the engine bay too so shouldn't be a problem!

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 04:59:59 PM »
The mk3 has the cat almost in the back of the engine bay, if you search for underside images on Google you'll see it's near the bulkhead, so the risk is low.
Ok the Civic and FRV etc I believe it's actually at the front of the engine just below the exhaust manifold if you look.

Tags:

anything