Author Topic: Dashcam recommendations (crash tested)  (Read 744 times)

dinnydorf

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ HX-T IMA
Dashcam recommendations (crash tested)
« on: June 17, 2022, 10:32:47 AM »
There are quite a few threads on here for Dashcam recommendations already, but I'm looking for specific experiences and recommendations: dash cams that have survived and accurately recorded crash incidents.

Last year in December, I was hit by an HGV whilst driving on the M1 (they tried to merge into the lane I was in, I couldn't get out of the way). Fortunately the only casualty was our 2012 Jazz (sorely missed, but we managed to find a near identical 2011 model to replace it earlier this year).

Anyway, I thought the insurance claim would be pretty straightforward as I had a front and rear Apeman dashcam installed and recording. However, when we were eventually able to check the footage, the impact had caused the camera to fail, and lose the segment it had been recording as the crash occurred. The resulting 88 second gap (recordings were in 180 second segments) means that no footage of the actual incident was saved, which has proven a right pain from an insurance claim and legal claim point if view.

So, does anyone have any positive (relatively speaking) experience of dash cams actually capturing footage of collisions? I'm keen to get one fitted to our new Jazz, but I dread a repeat of this palava.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Dashcam recommendations (crash tested)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 11:31:16 AM »
Whilst you're looking, a few tips.

A lot of dashcams have internal rechargeable batteries and these don't have a very long shelf life. 2 years if you're lucky. Just out of warranty if you're unlucky. What that means is that whilst the dashcam may seem to be recording it's the final file that fails to get 'closed' when power is cut. It's this final file that is often the one required.

For this reason the better dashcam manufacturers use super capacitors instead of the batteries as supercaps have a far longer life.

You may get a more varied response here :

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/what-should-i-buy.71/

Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything