Author Topic: Bettery  (Read 923 times)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
Bettery
« on: January 08, 2022, 02:14:00 PM »
Hi there,
Ive got a 2006 auto jazz and Im a short trip driver where my weekly journey total is around 50 miles on a 40-50 mph speed. Ive got x3 dash cams always running when the car is running.

Few days ago front passenger lock didn't come up when unlocked it via the remote and had to pull it up manually but the rest x3 locks did come up.

Yesterday I couldn't start the engine on first attempt but managed to start on the 3rd attempt with the help 9f pushing the gas paddle whilst cranking. I forgot to check the voltage at the time but after yesterday's journey the voltage was 12.67v on the multimeter.

So, I checked it again after a 18hrs later and the voltage is 12.32v. I didn't start the engine as I wanted to check again tomorrow to see what voltage it will give me. I do have a portable car start up power bank ready always if I had to start the engine.

I looked up on the batter to see the start date but I couldn't find any.

It looks like I need a new battery but I'm not sure which one to get as there are two types with hold down and non hold down etc which I don't know whats that all about. I have attached few pictures to show you the housing and could you please kindly help me to figure out which battery I should be getting in terms of the housing wise or the physicality wise. I have a Varta brand in my mind on Tayna website though. Tia!

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Bettery
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 02:27:48 PM »
Hi there,
Ive got a 2006 auto jazz and Im a short trip driver where my weekly journey total is around 50 miles on a 40-50 mph speed. Ive got x3 dash cams always running when the car is running.

Few days ago front passenger lock didn't come up when unlocked it via the remote and had to pull it up manually but the rest x3 locks did come up.

Yesterday I couldn't start the engine on first attempt but managed to start on the 3rd attempt with the help 9f pushing the gas paddle whilst cranking. I forgot to check the voltage at the time but after yesterday's journey the voltage was 12.67v on the multimeter.

So, I checked it again after a 18hrs later and the voltage is 12.32v. I didn't start the engine as I wanted to check again tomorrow to see what voltage it will give me. I do have a portable car start up power bank ready always if I had to start the engine.

It looks like I need a new battery but I'm not sure which one to get as there are two types with hold down and non hold down etc which I don't know whats that all about. I have attached few pictures to show you the housing and could you please kindly help me to figure out which battery I should be getting in terms of the housing wise or the physicality wise. I have a Varta brand in my mind on Tayna website though. Tia!

The Tayna website will recommend the correct one, personally I have never had any luck with Varta, on bikes or cars.  Get a Yuasa silver https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5054/   has a 5 year guarantee  used this one myself and it has the correct small Japanese posts.

Your battery is held down by a top strap in the photo,  so the YBX5054 will fit, it has a useful increase in capacity and cranking amps as well.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 03:05:11 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 03:02:02 PM »
 Hi There,
 Measure your old battery dimensions and compare with new one, to make sure it fits
  into tray. then spec car for original to confirm correct battery for make model and year.
 The Tie down is the bracket that goes over the battery to hold it down, The other method
 is a clamp with bolt holding the battery at the base where there is flange all the way
 around the base. Which pushes into a solid fixed niche then you use clamp and at other end
 to hold down battery. Any battery you buy with same code (054) will better spec than old
 battery of same code. Hope that helps

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 04:20:35 PM »
I just remembered something now actually. One month ago ive start using one of these cheap digital speedometer which connects to the obd port. It goes automatically off 3-4 minutes after switching off the engine. It is a feature that it has to switch itself off. However am I right to think when its connected via an obd port, the power continuesly still supplies to it? Could it be the reason why I have a weaker battery all of a sudden?

Hi there,

The Tayna website will recommend the correct one, personally I have never had any luck with Varta, on bikes or cars.  Get a Yuasa silver https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5054/   has a 5 year guarantee  used this one myself and it has the correct small Japanese posts.

Your battery is held down by a top strap in the photo,  so the YBX5054 will fit, it has a useful increase in capacity and cranking amps as well.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 07:34:29 PM »
I have a ScanGauge connected to my OBD port and it doesn't affect the battery at all. In fact, when I came to lay the car up for my surgery I contacted ScanGauge to ask if I needed to disconnect it. They told me just to leave it connected as it was no drain on the system. I imagine your speedo would be the same.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 05:50:35 PM »
Try driving with the sidelights turned on for  your trips,  the alternator will charge the battery at 14.4 Volts for most of the journey,  when driving with the lights off, the battery is charged intermittently,  note only;y the sidelights on,  the swit6ch in the middle position,  not with the headlights on.  alsdo go on ebay and buy a usb charger with a voltmeter to plug into the power socket,  so you can keep an eye on the charging system

Tags: