Author Topic: Spare tyre  (Read 3917 times)

RobS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 67-plate 1.3 S
Spare tyre
« on: February 26, 2020, 09:20:01 AM »
I had a Corsa before the Jazz and bought a "next size down" full width spare tyre as the Corsa, too, was supplied only with gunk. Dimensions of the spare are 185/70/R14. Given it's a 4-hole fixing would this fit my 2017 Jazz S as a temporary spare (rolling diameter is ~2% different - but could always change the tyre on it to better match the jazz)?

Rob

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Spare tyre
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 10:09:07 AM »
I had a Corsa before the Jazz and bought a "next size down" full width spare tyre as the Corsa, too, was supplied only with gunk. Dimensions of the spare are 185/70/R14. Given it's a 4-hole fixing would this fit my 2017 Jazz S as a temporary spare (rolling diameter is ~2% different - but could always change the tyre on it to better match the jazz)?

Rob

IIRC Rover and Corsa wheels will fit on the Honda hub..

If it is used as a spare it does not have to be perfect - just look at the skinny wheelbarrow tyre they sell as spacesaver.  The only way you will know if it fits is to try it,  the important bits are stud PCD, the bore dimension ( should be the same as Honda to fit tightly over the centralising boss on the hub - it is there to take the forces off the studs and make sure the wheel runs true ) and does the inside of the rim clear the brake calipers.  Some will argue about ET ) distance from mounting face to centre of rim ) but if only used as a temporary spare not a problem - couldn't handle any worse than that spcesaver,  I have used a spacesaver and would never want to repeat the experience if i could avoid it...   

The 2% may or may not affect the TPMS deflation warning,  but so will the spacesaver so just have to put up with the picture of a flat tyre on the display... at least you will know why the alarm was triggered.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:17:47 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RobS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 08:37:31 AM »
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 09:58:38 PM »
I don’t want to put a downer on this but do contact your insurance company and check with them that it is non-Honda wheel, some insurances say it’s ok, some don’t. 

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 04:03:30 PM »
Yes it will fit, I have a Corsa steel wheel as my spare wheel.

RobS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 08:58:02 AM »
I don’t want to put a downer on this but do contact your insurance company and check with them that it is non-Honda wheel, some insurances say it’s ok, some don’t.

Will have a look. Thanks.

RobS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 09:00:00 AM »

Excellent news - thanks. Just to be absolutely sure, these are the 14" steel wheels?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 11:01:31 AM »

Excellent news - thanks. Just to be absolutely sure, these are the 14" steel wheels?

The studs will fit and the centre boss will be same diameter,  but you really need to make sure that the inside of the rim has clearance for the brake caliper before installing it into the boot as a spare.

Here is a useful guide to wheels - the Jazz wheel boss is 56.1mm diameter

https://www.wheelfitment.eu/PCD/4x100/56.1.html
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 12:07:14 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RobS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 12:22:16 PM »
That is useful thanks. The Corsa wheel boss is 56.6mm which, as its larger, means it should fit. But I still need to check the brake calipers though.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 12:44:56 PM »
Just bear in mind that it's not strictly legal as a spare if you are mixing tyre sizes on an axle.

Space savers are clearly marked as temporary use only, and are only allowed in the Motor Vehicle Construction & Use Regulations to get you home with speed limited. Any other odd spare will not comply with the regs.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:02:40 PM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 01:11:01 PM »
Nothing stopping you going faster than 50 on a space saver,  but it is probably the bends ( i speak from experience ) that are the worst.

The whole idea of any spare except a full size one with a good tyre is a temporary measure to get you home or to a garage, those spacesavers may be legal, but that does not mean they are safer than a tyre with more rubber on the road.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »
Several websites say the speed limit for space savers is 50mph, 80kph, according to European law.
I suppose now we are out, we could go faster, but in my opinion it’s an accident waiting to happen😟

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 07:19:25 PM »
Nothing stopping you going faster than 50 on a space saver

Except the Police, if they clock you doing over fifty. It's one of the reasons they are obvious from a distance, and exceeding 50mph with a temporary use tyre is an offence.

Spacesaver spares do not comply with Regulation 27 of The Road Vehicle (Construction & Use) Regulations, and are thus technically illegal as a road wheel, but are given specific exemption in the legislation for emergency use under 50mph - provided they are clearly marked as such, and are fitted with the correct 'temporary use' high pressure tyre.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:23:25 PM by sparky Paul »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 08:56:16 AM »
My recently bought M19 Jazz Dynamic has a fixing point for the spare and I have been planning to get a full size spare tyre. But the I have been thinking the consequence of the additional weight. One beauty of Jazz Dynamic is good power-to-weight-ratio.

Full size spare is adding weight and even adding it to very rear of the car, therefore I have doubts that it can lower the rear suspension visibly. Has anybody tried and measured it? The effect to the performance is easily calculated.

On the other hand, a light alloy wheel could reduce the effect. What could be the lightest 15x6 or 16x6 alloy wheel for spare?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 09:00:42 AM »
The car is designed for five adults, three of whom are in the back. The weight if the spare tyre will have no effect on the rear suspension height. I have a steel spare in my Mk1 and in or out makes no difference.

Tags: