Author Topic: Recommendation for dash-mounted speedometer  (Read 4119 times)

thealpinejazzowner

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
Recommendation for dash-mounted speedometer
« on: March 24, 2019, 04:48:07 PM »
Hi,
I'm planning to buy a second, dash-mounted speedometer for my Jazz 2013, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNHGRZ9

The main reason I want this is not having to look down into the dashboard to find my speed, as it is a bit low for my height. However, I have little information about these devices and if they are good, for example, if these HUD things actually work at all.

Does anyone here have recommendations or experiences with dash-mounted speedometers?

Many thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Recommendation for dash-mounted speedometer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 05:04:14 PM »
That isn't a HUD speedometer. it does not give you a display on the windscreen. It is just a GPS speedometer (greater accuracy than the  car's speedometer most of the time). I'd love one of those as I have to use the display on the rear of my dashcam or my Sat Nav.
Personally I would just mount it forward of the binnacle, on top of the dashboard.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »
Just ordered myself one!

thealpinejazzowner

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 05:35:18 PM »
That isn't a HUD speedometer. it does not give you a display on the windscreen. It is just a GPS speedometer (greater accuracy than the  car's speedometer most of the time). I'd love one of those as I have to use the display on the rear of my dashcam or my Sat Nav.
Personally I would just mount it forward of the binnacle, on top of the dashboard.
Thanks. I know this one's not a HUD, bust most such devices are. I was wondering if someone is happy with a UHD in reality or it's just useless.

Do you know the laws regarding how much things can "cover" the driver's field of view and how one can calculate that?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 10:09:20 PM »
There are a few android apps that can give you a HUD, they work surprisingly well with a phone mounted on top of the dash reflecting off the windscreen.

thealpinejazzowner

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 10:55:28 AM »
There are a few android apps that can give you a HUD, they work surprisingly well with a phone mounted on top of the dash reflecting off the windscreen.

Can you please name some that you recommend?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 02:34:52 PM »
Can you please name some that you recommend?

If you go on Google Play and search for HUD, there are all sorts of wonderful things. I've had a play with Sygic satnav, that has a good HUD mode, and a couple of the simpler speedo type things like DigiHUD. Avoid the ones that try to show too much information on the screen.

Set your screen brightness to auto adjust for daylight and it all works quite well, but you might have to improvise something to blind the phone so that you don't see the screen directly. If you struggle with seeing the reflection in daylight, you can get a phone mount with a semi-transparent angled screen above which gives you a much better reflection.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUD-Head-Up-Display-Car-GPS-Navigation-Image-Reflector-Holder-Smart-Phone-/173301174876

Better quality ones are available, I'm sure.  ;)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 06:48:19 AM »
Just ordered myself one!
Arrived last night, and after checking it and setting up attached to my laptop this morning I fitted it in car. Setting up was straight forward, despite rudimentary instructions. it came with mph as the default (and altitude in feet), and I set it for Speed/clock/altitude. It will display supply voltage, but as I power it from a USB socket it just shows 5v.
Despite being fairly small I decided not to attach it to the top of the binnacle as that started to encroach into the windscreen view. I mounted it just to the left of the binnacle on top of the dashboard. It uses the same power lead as my sat nav, so I used that. On the odd occasion I need the sat nav I will forego the GPS speedometer (Sat Nav displays GPS speed anyway).

thealpinejazzowner

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 12:23:37 PM »
Just ordered myself one!
Arrived last night, and after checking it and setting up attached to my laptop this morning I fitted it in car. Setting up was straight forward, despite rudimentary instructions. it came with mph as the default (and altitude in feet), and I set it for Speed/clock/altitude. It will display supply voltage, but as I power it from a USB socket it just shows 5v.
Despite being fairly small I decided not to attach it to the top of the binnacle as that started to encroach into the windscreen view. I mounted it just to the left of the binnacle on top of the dashboard. It uses the same power lead as my sat nav, so I used that. On the odd occasion I need the sat nav I will forego the GPS speedometer (Sat Nav displays GPS speed anyway).

Please let us know if you remain happy :)

thealpinejazzowner

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 09:07:11 AM »
Just ordered myself one!

Are you still happy with it? I'm about to order :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »
Yes. It is great. First thing in the morning it takes a couple of minutes to lock into the satellites, but after that it is almost instant. I have mine displaying mph, No of satellites and altitude.  I only use it for mph, but the mph display, on its own, looks rather insignificant as the blur swirl isn't there. It only shows the battery voltage if you supply it using the supplied plug for cigar socket. I use mine plugged into a USB supply, so it only shows the 5V of the regulated supply.

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 04:48:04 PM »
Hi Jocko, interesting response, and apologise if coming over as stupid (brain staff are on half time as bank holiday), but where is the USB socket you speak of! Have got me intrigued :-)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 05:15:32 PM »
I have one of these

plugged into my Cigar lighter/aux power socket. That gives me two USB sockets for Dash Cam and GPS speedo/Sat Nav (which ever one I need at the time).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M6Q83B4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 05:26:45 PM »
Got it! Cheers, Jocko.

Only ever use cig lighter socket for GPS when needed (as in couple of weeks to east coast ocne have got irritating 'wheel brake rubbing whilst driving' matter hopefully resolved) so will grab 1 of the usb adaptors as also useful, as you point out for phone etc.

Enjoy rest of weekend!

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »
Yes. It is great. First thing in the morning it takes a couple of minutes to lock into the satellites, but after that it is almost instant. I have mine displaying mph, No of satellites and altitude.  I only use it for mph, but the mph display, on its own, looks rather insignificant as the blur swirl isn't there. It only shows the battery voltage if you supply it using the supplied plug for cigar socket. I use mine plugged into a USB supply, so it only shows the 5V of the regulated supply.

Can you post some photos of it in situ?

Cheers.

Steve

Tags:

anything