Author Topic: Windscreen cleaning  (Read 1915 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Windscreen cleaning
« on: September 23, 2018, 03:35:47 PM »
Hi, I have found that my windscreen is quite smeary when using the wipers, especially in the last couple of days. It looks like maybe some oil or fuel has gone onto the screen, used the washers on it, does improve slightly but never gets rid of it. It smears then goes clear if wipers not used but when on continuous tends to stay smeary. What do others use to clean their screen. Many thanks.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Windscreen cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 03:43:43 PM »
Besides a windscreen cleaner in the washer bottle I use a glass cleaner.
Lots of different makes in Halfords etc.
My brother swears by putting a drop of meths in the washer bottle as well.
Don't forget to clean the wiper blades as well. No point in having a clean screen for the wipers to put the grease etc back on.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

weeleyboy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz 1.4CVT EX
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 04:09:02 PM »
Do you wash the car or have it washed by our East European friends? When they do mine they spray a small amount of cleaner on the screen and the wipers do smear afterwards and I got the same effect when I used Rainex

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 04:48:41 PM »
I use Frosch bio spirit glass cleaner when they are real dirty. Otherwise just the car shampoo i’m using. After that always a spray demi water with a microfibre glass cloth. Never strikes, never smear.

And yes make sure the wipers are clean too before you put them back on the window. ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 04:53:39 PM »
Hi, I have found that my windscreen is quite smeary when using the wipers, especially in the last couple of days. It looks like maybe some oil or fuel has gone onto the screen, used the washers on it, does improve slightly but never gets rid of it. It smears then goes clear if wipers not used but when on continuous tends to stay smeary. What do others use to clean their screen. Many thanks.

I find winter screenwash can smear screen, also as others have said rainex or similar does the same. I use turtle wax glass cleaner on inside and outside of windscreen. Adding meths or fairy liquid to washer reservoir may help,  but if smearing is bad you need to give the screen a good clean, try the dishwashing sponges with the white ( non scratch ) nylon on them as an initial scrub with cilit bang shower cleaner or similar ( non abrasive ) to get worst off and then meths or a proper screen cleaner like  turtle wax clearvue ? or similar.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

davegreen55

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 04:56:38 PM »
I think that as far as screenwash additives are concerned, you tend to get what you pay for.
I have tried some of the cheaper brands, but I usually stick to Autoglym or Decosol as I find that they are much better.
I also clean the screen with neat screenwash on a clean cloth from time to time.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 05:15:42 PM »
I agree with most of the above and have used them in the past.
Currently finding this exceptionally good.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 06:08:52 PM »
Hi

I think this topic has been asked before

I use water and newspaper. Cheap but very effective

Apologies if you mean washing screen whilst driving which is covered in flies smearing. I usually spray when a few splat hopefully before they dry out.

Many thanks

John

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 06:10:31 PM »
Do you wash the car or have it washed by our East European friends? When they do mine they spray a small amount of cleaner on the screen and the wipers do smear afterwards and I got the same effect when I used Rainex
No not on this car...thanks for the info

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 07:16:10 PM »
Have used autoglym glass polish for many years on all glass inside and out. Also use on wipers and then you have a perfect clean screen  and wipers.

Tags:

anything