Author Topic: honda serviceing  (Read 2109 times)

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
honda serviceing
« on: April 24, 2018, 10:49:07 AM »
 Hi members bought this Jazz about 2 month ago full srevice by Honda it is a 53 reg 1.4cvt, i have just change all 8 sparkplugs  and new oil and filter the plug have never been change from new it as done 50,000 miles.so Honda have never change the plug from new and it supposed to have full service history a load of rubbish.i had the full double flush done last month it makes me wonder if they have done that too,it is not going to Honda no  more dave.   

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
Re: honda serviceing
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 11:36:03 AM »
Think you'll find a Full Service by main Honda Dealer is a fallacy Dave. Had similar problem a month after MOT and out of warranty, normal scraping noise and needed front disks and pads (nothing left on them). Did less than 1K miles in the year; they couldn't have even looked at them.
Mike.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:45:16 AM by MikeG1944 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »
Think you'll find a Full Service by main Honda Dealer is a fallacy Dave. Had similar problem a month after MOT and out of warranty, normal scraping noise and needed front disks and pads (nothing left on them). Did less than 1K miles in the year; they couldn't have even looked at them.
Mike.

Unfortunately its true  FSH = 0
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 04:56:33 PM »
I guess the main value of a Honda FSH is on a new or relatively new car in terms of resale value and to preserve the warranty (although you don't have to go to a dealer for that as I understand it providing the schedule is adhered to and the correct parts used).

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
It always make what you think what they actually do on a service? How many customers remove a plug to see if it's been changed, 2%?
My mate who had a company car chatted to a mechanic who told him he once worked at a place who took the car round the back, quick wash and clean out and wrote out the bill on company cars; never even changed the oil.
Mike.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
It always make what you think what they actually do on a service? How many customers remove a plug to see if it's been changed, 2%?
My mate who had a company car chatted to a mechanic who told him he once worked at a place who took the car round the back, quick wash and clean out and wrote out the bill on company cars; never even changed the oil.
Mike.

Better off doing your own servicing, at least you know things have been done and what parts / oils / fluids have been used. I know not everyone can do it themselves but I have heard stories from people in the trade that certainly make you wonder what people get for their money.  Modern cars rarely fail or have problems during warranty period anyway, but you pays your money and take your chance with dealers and garages in general, as with most things knowledge is power, and women make rich pickings for unscrupulous garages.

Took me a few hours to change gearbox oil on Civic, far too much underguarding for job to be quick and easy, but at least I know Castrol syntrans V FE (£36 worth) went back in, and gearchange much improved.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:23:49 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 09:40:13 PM »
I guess it's why if you can find a good independent it's worth sticking with them. From time to time Which have done research on servicing by putting in cars anonymously and the results rarely make re-assuring reading.

guest5079

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
If you are fairly competent, car servicing is not difficult. A good paper reference such as Haynes for a MK1 or the online manual for the MK2 and read about the 'bits' you want to do. A few basic tools are all you need and a good jack and axle stands will help. Yes the outlay for the last might seem high but it will be less than a Honda service. No lengths of scaffold pole will be needed to replace the plugs. Common sense is the key. If it's stuck step back and think about it, the lump hammer has no place in general servicing. The sense of achievement is worth the effort. If you really can't do it yourself, then a local independent that has been there a while might be worth considering, if you can ask people that is a bonus.
As an aside, I used to be a volunteer Tutor for illiteracy and numeracy. One 'pupil' claimed he could not read and yet he could manage paperback cowboy books and when asked why he could not read he just said thats all I have ever read. Just a few hours overcame his problem, he just didn't think cowboy books and others were the same. As to his numeracy, I found out he could play darts. When asked if he could keep a score the answer was affirmative. Again just explaining that adding and subtraction were the same everywhere, suddenly he could cope. My point, if it's a problem, often an approach from a different direction holds the answer. I am not clever just practical.Today, it is said that clocks in schools are having to be changed to digital as the pupils cant understand the analogue ones. Why not 'bl**dy' teach them NO money for schools stop piggin wasting it.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »
In the days when I did service my own cars, I will admit there is real satisfaction in doing an oil change properly. Ensuring the engine is warm, letting it drain completely, priming the filter with fresh oil and carefully refilling until the exact level on the dipstick. I used to check my own brakes but I was rubbish at doing points and resetting the timing. I got an home tune guy to do that.

Now, of course, points and setting the timing are no longer necessary on a modern car.

In short, I broke down the jobs into those I could do and those where I could watch someone else do them. You did at least know that things were actually done. Not sure you can always rely on that these days.

Tags: