Author Topic: Changing gear not that smooth  (Read 5873 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Changing gear not that smooth
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 06:11:37 PM »
To be fair I preferred the clutch idea as I've always been a bit sceptical of torque converters. I never had any problems with my Jazz Sport clutch.
Torque converters have been used since the 30's, on everything from railway locomotives, buses, trucks, industrial plant, cars, and even in marine applications. They virtually run for ever, and do their job brilliantly. They use a little energy but they don't wear out and leave you stuck at the side of the road. The life of a bus is about as hard on a transmission as you can get, and they will run for 1,000,000 miles.
I am a great fan of the torque converter.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »
To be fair I preferred the clutch idea as I've always been a bit sceptical of torque converters. I never had any problems with my Jazz Sport clutch.
Torque converters have been used since the 30's, on everything from railway locomotives, buses, trucks, industrial plant, cars, and even in marine applications. They virtually run for ever, and do their job brilliantly. They use a little energy but they don't wear out and leave you stuck at the side of the road. The life of a bus is about as hard on a transmission as you can get, and they will run for 1,000,000 miles.
I am a great fan of the torque converter.

+1

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 06:40:32 PM »
I'm a lot less bothered now that we have locking TCs.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 07:21:19 PM »
Torque converter explained - and a locking torque converter still needs a clutch (for those that like clutches).

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 07:56:24 PM »
Thanks Culzean for the torque converter video.
In the early 80's I had a Honda Accord with an automatic gearbox. It only had two speeds, Lo and Hi but it had a very efficient wide ranging torque converter (TC).
You would start off in Lo and the TC would do its thing and then you would select Hi and the TC would react again.
I doubt there was a lock-up mechanism but the system worked very well and in those days fuel consumption wasn't an important topic.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 09:35:29 PM »
In the early 80's I had a Honda Accord with an automatic gearbox. It only had two speeds, Lo and Hi but it had a very efficient wide ranging torque converter (TC).
You would start off in Lo and the TC would do its thing and then you would select Hi and the TC would react again.
I doubt there was a lock-up mechanism but the system worked very well and in those days fuel consumption wasn't an important topic.
That seems a rather primitive system. Just like my 1978 Honda Melody. My 1985 Vauxhall Carlton had a three speed transmission with a TC that locked up once you were up to a reasonable road speed. You only needed to select Drive.
My 2001 Volvo S40 had a five speed transmission. When you put it in Winter setting, for snow and ice, it started off in 5th and the TC did all the work.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 01:36:28 PM »
I'd have thought that if you don't need/want the torque multiplication that most of the work of the TC can be done by the CVT. You still need to decouple the shafts when the output is stationary but as soon as the shaft ratios enter the working range of the CVT it could do the job of the TC.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 03:40:52 PM »
I'd have thought that if you don't need/want the torque multiplication that most of the work of the TC can be done by the CVT. You still need to decouple the shafts when the output is stationary but as soon as the shaft ratios enter the working range of the CVT it could do the job of the TC.

The torque multiplication is only for the first few seconds of movement from a standstill. Once moving the CVT takes over. It gives torque power for a brisk step off from a standstill. It is noticeable in the 1.5 even at gentle running in takeoffs. Using running in power (up to 3,000 revs) in a 1.5 is a bit like driving a 1.3 with some gusto. I am looking forward to using the vtec when the running in is complete!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:44:03 PM by Deeps »

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 11:43:48 AM »
The clonk I get when it seems to be changing gear is unlike that you get from kickdown or using the paddles.
It could be occurring when the engine is changing "mode" so will look out for that . If you keep the revs up it does not occur.
Lastly I like to use the " S" on roundabouts and on slip roads to a motorway

Tags: