Author Topic: A (crossed-out) and Battery logo on Honda Jazz 2018  (Read 3046 times)

Annastesia

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.3
A (crossed-out) and Battery logo on Honda Jazz 2018
« on: May 27, 2022, 06:15:39 PM »
Hello,

When I am putting the brake pedal down a logo appears on the dash - A/C (crossed out) with the battery next to it.

I am unsure if this means my battery is low and needs servicing, or if it is common place.

Bit worried as I'm due on a long journey in a few days.

The main low battery logo is not showing. Just next to the logo when I brake.

Any help would be appreciated :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 11:22:31 PM by Annastesia »

guest9814

Re: A/C and Battery logo on Honda Jazz 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 08:05:22 PM »
Start Stop system can also stop working if starter battery weak

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 09:03:35 PM »
Start Stop system can also stop working if starter battery weak
But the crossed-out A/C symbol means that the engine autostop isn't activating due to the engine needing to run to either power the air conditioner or provide heating. In such circumstances turning off the heater fan (ie stopping cooling / heating) results in the stop-start system working. This can be useful if, for example, you are waiting in a traffic queue.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 10:02:48 PM »
Hello,

When I am putting the brake pedal down a logo appears on the dash - A/C (crossed out) with the battery next to it.

I am unsure if this means my battery is low and needs servicing, or if it is common place.

Bit worried as I'm due on a long journey in a few days.

The singular red low battery icon does not show, it's just shows on the brake/battery logo.

Any help would be appreciated :)

This description doesn't quite make sense, you don't usually get both the A/C (crossed out) and the battery symbol together. Are you sure it's not an A with a circle around it that's crossed out (that means the auto-stop isn't functioning) ? That can be accompanied by a battery symbol (which indicates that the reason the A-S isn't working is a battery issue) or an A/C symbol (which is very misleading, it usually means you've got the vent selected to demist the screen and isn't anything to do with the A/C).

The A-S system is very temperamental, there's a long list in the handbook of factors that'll prevent it from working. I find it doesn't work at all over the winter months (dash display shows the battery symbol), and works normally during the summer. Not sure if that's because of some temperature effect, or whether shorter journeys in winter means the battery doesn't fully charge ... although it always starts OK.

One trick worth trying is to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for a few minutes then reconnect it; this can reset the A-S. Or, if you have a suitable battery charger, give it a good charge.

Annastesia

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 11:12:02 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, it is actually just an A (crossed-out) with a battery sign next to it.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 07:25:38 AM »
Yes, it is actually just an A (crossed-out) with a battery sign next to it.

OK, that’s not unusual. It just means the auto-stop isn’t working because the car thinks there’s a battery problem. If the car always starts normally then it’s nothing to worry about. If you want to get the A-S working properly then try to ensure the battery gets a good charge by doing a longish high speed journey, or use a suitable charger to top it up. Or try resetting the system by removing & replacing the negative lead on the battery.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 08:10:28 AM by ColinB »

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
Re: A (crossed-out) and Battery logo on Honda Jazz 2018
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 08:22:20 AM »
Does the stop-start function work when you brake to a halt in a queue?

I assume you mean on the right hand side information dial/screen?

It sounds like it's warning you if you press the brake down and activate the engine stop, you will turn off the Aircon.

This is an automatic gearbox car?

Stop start also won't activate if the battery is a little low, the car is still warming up, or the Aircon is on and the temp set has not been reached.

As long as the car starts properly and doesn't sound like it's struggling to start, I doubt there is a problem.

Annastesia

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 08:59:25 AM »
Thanks again for your replies!!

Yes everything works fine with the car, it's just that logo. But I have been doing very small journeys recently so maybe that's all it is.

I'm just glad to know it's normal and safe so thank you all again for your feedback.

It's an automatic, but if anything else crops up I'll get it seen to to be safe

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 09:02:17 AM »
Sometimes Honda's intelligent battery monitoring system (the rectangular lump connected to one of the battery terminals) gets confused and doesn't fully charge the battery (the objective is to avoid energy being wasted through over-charging the battery) but the autostop system thinks the battery isn't sufficiently charged (the system wants to avoid the risk of any hesitation when the engine is asked to restart).

I found that if the vehicle hadn't moved for several days then the low battery warning would appear when the car was next started and this would apply for the whole of the journey until the engine was next restarted.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 08:26:42 PM »
^^^
Irrespective of whether you're referring to the Mk4 (yours?), or the OP'S mK3, I would respectfully suggest that the intelligent battery monitoring system is actually doing its job.

Many (unseen) parameters are monitored constantly and that information is gathered and interpreted by the ECU and the results compared to many algorithms coded within the ECU before a simple information light is illuminated for the benefit of the end user.

It's not a warning light per se, it's basic information being shown to the end user that the stop/start system is not available at this time for whatever reason...

To the OP - just enjoy the car and crack on with your longer journey.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 11:18:07 PM »
Just to confirm what the others say, it is a "notification" that the stop/start function is not available because the car "thinks" the battery condition is not appropriate. Mine will do this if I haven't given it a long run or charged the battery, the battery is only 3yrs old and in perfectly good health.
If the battery is starting the engine willingly with no sign of being sluggish then don't worry about it. The general consensus is that Honda were overly pessimistic/cautious when calibrating the system.

Another system which can be a little over sensitive is the tyre pressure warning, you may well get this showing up at some stage, I've had it. The answer is to carefully set the tyre pressures when they are cold (before driving) and reset the system (the procedure is in the owner's manual, find the reset in the menu), Then after driving for 15 or 20 miles it will have re-calibrated itself and you should have no further problems (unless the pressures do drop).

Annastesia

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2022, 12:01:48 AM »
Thanks you again to all that have replied and given such detailed responses. They have really helped me understand the car much better, and above all, not to panic  :)

I'm glad to be a clubjazz member.

Tags: