Author Topic: Recommended engine oil  (Read 10115 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Recommended engine oil
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2022, 07:00:10 PM »
For my Mk 1 i-DSi engine Honda recommends 5W-30 but says I can also use 0W-20. With almost 150K on the clock I stick to 5W-30. Even with that my engine uses oil.

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2022, 09:40:05 PM »
I don't receive a rebate as such. I just don't get charged for the oil as I supplied it. I don't supply filters or washers.

Personally I would supply the genuine 'Honda' oil filter too.

In a similar fashion to the oil, Honda won't make the filters, but their quality control will ensure the filter meets their specification for performance and reliability.

They may be a few quid more, but at least you'll know it's the right bit of kit for the job.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2022, 07:50:08 AM »
For my Mk 1 i-DSi engine Honda recommends 5W-30 but says I can also use 0W-20. With almost 150K on the clock I stick to 5W-30. Even with that my engine uses oil.

Oil is improving all the time and car makers tend to add the  newer grades to the recommended list (if also suitable) They can improve mpg in cold starts etc.      But also a good arguement for saying "if 5w30 was good enough when the car was new, its good enough now."  With a high mileage engine that uses oil I too would use to 5w30
-even in cold and woolly Scotland   :P

I don't receive a rebate as such. I just don't get charged for the oil as I supplied it. I don't supply filters or washers.

Personally I would supply the genuine 'Honda' oil filter too.

In a similar fashion to the oil, Honda won't make the filters, but their quality control will ensure the filter meets their specification for performance and reliability.

They may be a few quid more, but at least you'll know it's the right bit of kit for the job.

A good idea.  There are lots of rubbish after-market filters out there. Some are little more than tin cans filled with toilet tissue, or may be missing by pass valves etc.     Garages doing fixed price servicing including parts may go a step too far in economy parts.

But make sure you buy the 'genuine Honda' filter from a reputable and reliable source.    There are aftermarket makers in the far east  selling filters wholesale for as little as 50p each, who if you buy enough  will print the filter and boxes with your own logo.  Fair enough if its "Freds cheapo auto spares"    but my understanding is some wont care if you ask for  the branding to imitate a reputable filter brand, or car manufacturer  >:(

Personally I am less fussy about using  after market air and  cabin filters .Most do a good enough job.  I usually change these myself.  They are not always included in budget servicing anyway,or conveniently 'forgotten ' by the mechanic.

The op mentions 'washers'  presumably meaning  drain plug washers. Servicing garages  tend to suck the old oil out through the dip stick tube rather than removing a drain plug.  :P  Saves problems with having to stock a variety of washers, possibly damaging the sump, not tightening it correctly, oil leaks etc. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2022, 08:37:41 AM »
https://8g.hondaclub.cz/files/J_Jetter_Honda_042109.pdf
Pages 7 to 14.
EUDM and JDM models mainly use 0W20 oils as factory fill, Castrol for EU, Idemitsu for Japan.

Note that recommended oil viscosity for EUDM differs from USDM, mainly due to different fuels.
So it's not a good idea to buy oils from USA and fill EU engines, they could not be the best choice.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 08:42:43 AM by jazzaro »

Tags: