Author Topic: Dunlop SP2030 tyres - excessive wear on inside edge and cracking between treads  (Read 154376 times)

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
I mainly driving on a motorway and therefore I set my tyres pressure to the max. value on the sticker (for the motorway speed recommended this, doesn`t matter how many people is in the car).

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Hi,
i run a 1200 on an 05 plate. I have just replaced the rear tyres with Michelins to match the front. One of the rear tyres was an original Yoko :o and was still legal apart from side wall crazing, recorded milage is 71,000 on a 6 year old car and I am the second owner. A lot of town driving will cause faster wear than distance as will driving style,
regards,
Chris

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Hi Lads, a further update.
The car went in this morning for attention to the tracking and tyres and I have to thank Avonvale-Honda in Solihull, West Midlands for their actions.
The tracking has been corrected and 2 new Dunlop SP tyres, (the same as the original equipment) fitted at no cost to myself. Even had free loan car, whilst the work was being done.
All in all, I think a satisfactory conclusion to the problem and it has restored my confidence in Honda service.
Many thanks to all the members that contributed to this Post.

guest1521

Kenneve... That's great news! Pleased for you and good to hear your Honda dealer stood by you.

guest2012

Good news Kenneve.......
Congrates and its good that your honda is with you.

guest2012

Today the Ford Company has announced that the new Ford Fiesta will be produced at the Cuautitlán Assembly Plant starting in early 2010 (Cuautitlán is a city and in Mexico State). They also announced that a sporty European hatchback will be added for production to the North American lineup alongside this popular mini.

The plan for the new Ford Fiesta will be a bolder and more sophisticated design, so that it would be enough to exceed other cars in its category. Ford added that it will also be improved in terms of performance, design and fuel efficiency. Overall, “small cars sales have grown from 23 million units in 2002 to an estimated 38 million 2012” that is why ford is very much eager to release a new and much improved version of the fiesta.

guest1521

Will this new Ford Fiesta offer anywhere near the all-round versatility, utility and, therefore, value of the Honda Jazz aka 'Fit' in some markets? Anytime I travel hunched with tight head and legroom in the back seat of my neighbour's 2010 Fiesta... or see his car with back seats down for 'max' boot space... I am reminded of why I bought Jazz having assessed the Fiesta.   

sapperjohn

Hello - new boy! I've just been told that my 18 month old 1.4 running Dunlop SP Sports 185 / 55 / 16 are bald at 13000 miles - and thats even bald across the entire tread pattern! My wife has averaged 51 mpg since new, driving 20 miles per day to the park to walk dog - Mrs Clarkson would be proud of her. The car has been fully Honda "loved up" and tyres pressures checked religiously. In addition Honda Thames Ditton have just checked tracking and geometry following my concerns and say everything is AOK.

I have spoken to Mr Fitzpatrick (customer services supervisor at Honda UK) and as far as he is concerned I'm the first person to ever raise any issue regarding undue tyre wear in the new Jazz or about these tyres (funny that because I can see a trend in the comments above), and better still states that 13,000 miles is a reasonable life for a premium tyre.

I don't know how he defines reasonable - but I also run an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage (430 BHP) on Yokohama racing compounds and this is the sort of tyre life they expect!! (and my tyres are only £280, as opposed to £120 each for the Jazz).

Point is this - does the new Jazz with 16 inch rims and SP's eat tyres? If so they should have fitted Conti's or more hard wearing compound from new. I'm going to be writing formally to the MD Honda UK - as I certainly do not think 13,000 miles from new is "merchantable quality" - 25,000 maybe.

Please provide me evidence of other owners of 2009 new Jazz with 16 inch wheels and Dunlop SP's. Incidentally a friendly Honda mechanic I know reports that they are now getting jazz'es just like mine in for tyres and that now they are fitting Continentals - wonder why!!!

Geoffers

I don't know how he defines reasonable - but I also run an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage (430 BHP) on Yokohama racing compounds and this is the sort of tyre life they expect!! (and my tyres are only £280, as opposed to £120 each for the Jazz).

£120 each!!!
Dealership charged me £77 for a like-for-like replacement after a puncture!
Car is/was still on original tyres.

sapperjohn

Dunlop SP Sport 185 55 R16 is the 16inch alloy wheel on the EX-T 2010 top of the range 1.4 I've got (the one with panoramic sun roof and every toy in the book) - we paid this week £150 fitted at Kwik fit for a puncture replacement (Continental) and £110 is the cheapest anywhere on internet fitted etc - see ATS / Kwik fit etc. The issue is that the size is unusual, and is only made by Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop... not a Hang Kookk in sight.

As you can imagine I'm not impressed with 13,000 miles tyre life - and the attitude of Honda UK customer services was unbelievable. I've bought cars from auctions and had timing belts go and valves burn out and both Ford and Rover at the time immediately conceded that all was not well with the design of their cars and contributed 75% to repairs if not 100% - out of warranty / bought at auction / no actual responsibility - but both came across without asking. I've bought a Honda - at well over the odds and with no discount worth talking about because my wife wanted to be safe and secure and feeling looked after. The first warranty work for a door sill trim not stuck down properly resulted in weeks of taking the car to and from the garage, pictures, Honda UK getting involved and finally Honda dealer applying an inch of sticky tape! This latest encounter was in an alternative universe - 13,000 miles for front tyres to wear out on a car treated like a persian lap dog. Honda UK position - I buy new tyres (£240 the pair) , I get old tyres to the Honda garage, they send them to Dunlop for their opinion on whether they are OK - and if Dunlop say they are Ok Honda do nothing. Sounds like a very fair and reasonable approach to me, considering the car is under warranty and should in all respects be of merchantable quality - no way could that end up with Dunlop saying they are fine and Honda refusing to make an ex-gratia payment! Point is if Honda just say wear is reasonable - where does that end - clutch at 20,000 miles? Cat at 15,000?

You might have gathered this is not a good Honda Jazz week for me - thus far the Honda experience has simply not been worth the expense. I can report that BMW are also dreadful as well - but at least you expect to be ripped off and after while go to an alternative servicing outfit, lastly Aston Martin is superb and as I see you have just bought a new eco Jazz I can let you know that today you can pick up a very nice DB7 with full AM service history for about the same money you spent on the Jazz. Servicing £750 every 15,000 miles, insurance £600 for track days, full 12 month comprehensive european cover inc breakdown / recovery and business use. OK the Jazz is no BMW or Aston Martin - but it's no cheap runaround either - and thus one should expect it to be faultless.

guest238

Everyone is told there are "the first one to ever have this problem" with cars.  I agree that a tyre lifespan of 13k is unsatisfactory even for a set of made-in-China WAN KING branded budget tyres, never mind a premium brand like Dunlop.

And don't buy tyres from Honda dealers - always shop around with the online retailers and local fitters.

guest238

I can report that BMW are also dreadful as well - but at least you expect to be ripped off and after while go to an alternative servicing outfit

BMW are the masters of stitch-up (wife has a MINI Cooper). They give with one hand (TLC service pack for instance), take with the other. Ask the guy on here with the 118d (Yammick), he will tell you the same.

sapperjohn

Thats why I buy from auctions and three years old - buying new is a mugs game and only done this time as I could buy it tax free and the wife wanted to emulate Mrs Clarkson (senior). The bloke above appears to be suggesting that the best can be extracted from the Jazz by nursing it around the streets lightly caressing the brake pedal in slippers!!

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.

Please provide me evidence of other owners of 2009 new Jazz with 16 inch wheels and Dunlop SP's. Incidentally a friendly Honda mechanic I know reports that they are now getting jazz'es just like mine in for tyres and that now they are fitting Continentals - wonder why!!!

We have same car, same tyres and the car has done 13K miles and there's little left in the front tyres.  The rears aren't too clever either so it's not due to hard driving.

Car is mainly used around town and, to be honest, while 13K is not great, I don't think it's absolutely horrendous.  One thing about the Dunlop tyres fitted is they didn't give a moments concern through the last two pretty hard winters, so I assume the compound is pretty soft.

guest1521

I might get 25k miles from Dunlop 175/65R15T stock fit on my 1.2GE SE. All four that is. At 19,500 miles now... some round town but also a lot of long distance motoring... checked occasionally for correct inflation. However at 12,500 miles I had an issue with excess wear just one inch around inside edges of the front tyres.

Tracking/alignment adjusted by an independent (at almost a third of Honda dealer's quote)... rotated front to rear for no extra charge. Dealer, unbelievably, had not noted the excess wear at service. I could swear that the front tyres were exhibiting that excess rate of wear on those inside edges from very earliest miles as if it was an assembly defect. Following adjustment, straight-line steering at speed was better. Noticeably less corrective input required.

I'd say that Dunlop SP31s 'aren't bad' and have a reasonable mix of dry, wet, summer/winter grip. Though I wonder whether some other brands of tyre might offer good all-round grip, wear longer and run more quietly. Anyone think Dunlops are a tad noisy? Or found generally better?

Tags: