Author Topic: Dunlop SP2030 tyres - excessive wear on inside edge and cracking between treads  (Read 144082 times)

guest3250

I`d fit the 195/55/16 if I were you. You know the pos (better tyre choice, price) and neg but I doubt if you could measure it in the real world (mpg, top speed, more prone to aquaplaning (same weight on bigger surface)).

I`ve a GD with 175/65/14 and I could fit the next size up (185/60/14) but the sidewall would be lower (the tyre is more expensive) and the GD is famous about the firm ride (pre 2005), so I keep using the original size.
You are right - the difference would be quite small in fact - as far as Aquaplaning is concerned - less difference I believe than the difference might be between two different brands of tyre - get one that is particulalrly good in the wet and it should be fine.
The only other issue could be insurance - so I would have to get the green light from them beforehand.
I am split down the middle if I go up one size there are the benefits you mentioned, also the ride would be marginally smoother. If I stick withthe same size I am very limited in choice but there are no potential issues other than that...The tricky bit would be the changeover period - there would be around 1 - 2 years with 2 different sizes - one axle with the slightly larger and one with some nearly new on the smaller - I will only be buying 2 tyres next time.- This might be the persuasion to stick with the same size...as I said - undecided at the moment.

guest3250

I`d fit the 195/55/16 if I were you. You know the pos (better tyre choice, price) and neg but I doubt if you could measure it in the real world (mpg, top speed, more prone to aquaplaning (same weight on bigger surface)).

I`ve a GD with 175/65/14 and I could fit the next size up (185/60/14) but the sidewall would be lower (the tyre is more expensive) and the GD is famous about the firm ride (pre 2005), so I keep using the original size.
I had an Astra (mk3) with that tyre size - and I changed to the 185/60/14 and never looked back! - All round slight improvement...MPG didn't suffer at all - never worried about top speed anyway and the tyres were a bit cheaper (like for like) then - not sure now.

guest3250

Insurance are more than happy for me to fit 195's
Honda said it would be no problem as long as it doesn't cause a speedometer reading problem
(which I already calculated it won't)
Local Tyre shop are happy - prices are confirmed a bit less - but also the larger choice means
I can be more selective.
My only problem, now, is one of my two nearly new 185's is faulty and has had to be replaced - like for like
so it will be a while before I can have all 4 as 195's
Will do the older pair on the front in a month or so - but almost certain I will go for 195's now.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT

I had an Astra (mk3) with that tyre size - and I changed to the 185/60/14 and never looked back! - All round slight improvement...MPG didn't suffer at all - never worried about top speed anyway and the tyres were a bit cheaper (like for like) then - not sure now.

Every 6k miles I`m rotating the tyres on my car so I get an evenly worn tyres and I can change them (all 4) at the same time. I might go with the 185/60/14 at the end of next year... depend on the price.

At what tyre depth would anyone recommend to replace the tyres? (currently I`m on 2.5-3mm - summers).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:00:58 PM by DV »

guest3250

You're getting close in my opinion.
The legal limit is 1.6 - but below 3mm most tires drop off in wet grip performance.
Changing all 4 is best if you are changing size as well - just works out a more costly month that month!
(I am now stuck and have to change 2  and then the other 2 at a later date)

What care are these tyres for??

DV

• Approved Member
I prefer to change all 4 tyres at the same time, nothing else.
So far I only had Michelin Energy Saver (C,B, 68dB) and Continental Eco Contact 3 (E,B 70dB) on it but I think I`d go for Unirolyal RainExpert for the next time...

I`m wondering if I should follow the new tyre labels?
On mytyres I can see them and for the Uniroyal is F, E, 70dB, the Conti Eco Contact 5 is B, B, 70dB.
That is fuel efficiency, wet braking, rolling noise.

guest3250

I wouldn't take ANY one type of rating on it's own - I personally cross refer a few before making
my educated(? ?) decision.
So - yes, I can vouch for the Rain Experts as a very safe tyre - but I don't know how they compare, in a real world,  on the rolling resisitance issue...  (E,  B, 71DB)
I check the Tiretest.com figures (via Mytyres.co.uk) where the lower the figure the better.
Also check on Tyrereviews.co.uk - boith of these are real world in as much as real people input to the average overal figure - so check how many have inputed
Finally I also look at Pneu online - (www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk) - that one has a helpfull little
Pie like graph to visually display characteristics.
Sometimes you might find a wet weather C rated tyre - actually betteres a B rated in certain test sites
So keep a flexable mind with these ratings - they are merely an incicator

I notice small differences in Tyre spec or size can also affect the rating - 
I just looked up the Michelin energy Saver  (for example)
on 'Mytyre's - I found 3 different ratings for a very similar tyre:

E  A 70 dB   195/55 R16 87V GRNX

E  B 70 dB   195/55 R16 87V M0, GRNX

C  A 70 dB   195/55 R16 91V XL GRNX

Speed rating and size may also have an affect

It would be very easy to get bogged down with all this I think -
and I am as guilty as anyone of over thinking things.
 ;)

guest3250

Returning to this montinous subject!
Following an 'invisible' puncture in a nearly new tyre - (and also the same on our other car recently!)
I had to go for a cheaper back tyre and avoid the other make with the 'sidewall pinhole'
issues (apparently LOADS of that brand have them - some just go down very slowly
but they are not admitting it I have heard)
So ~
I was sold a Falken ZE912  in the standard 185/55/16
It is absolutely fine - despite being on the back I can say I reckon it is OK as a good alternative,
(cornered it on some very slippery surfaces where other tyres have skidded and it was cool!)
the only reservation is it gets a poor rolling resistance rating.
As for my alternatives - Price is an issue as Continentals in 185's are around £130 and Dunlop
was £140 ish - but 195's are a little cheaper.
So There is a new Falken - scarecely tested 'ZE914' which looks like it would be good
(C rolling, B wet performance, 70db - which I think is also B)
Buy it through Black Circles and I will be down below £70=
Looks like this might be a good alround solution

Anyone know anything about them...?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
I would say Falken tyres are regarded as mid ranged tyres in the UK, they are a good name in motorsport and the company dates back to the mid 1980's.
I too will be facing a replacement for my EX-  a full set- once winter is out of the way, I may well be joining you with the  ZE912.

DV

• Approved Member

guest3250

The Falken ZE 912 is the only one in the 185 size and is more than adequate - my only mild
reservation (now) is it get's a 'G' rating for rolling resistance - how much effect that actually has
would have to be seen - however Rolling resistance is bottom of the priorities - but to be considered
IMO
I will now be putting 195's on instead of 185's researched it quite a bit and there should be no adverse affects
the tyres are a little cheaper (like for like) and there is a massive increase in choice
Most likely it will be the new Falken ZE914 I will use - which gets good ratings and I have read
2 very good personal reviews so far

guest3250

Have you checked this site?
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/ZE912.htm.
Yes - looks very good considering it is considerably cheaper than
the main streamers like Continental, Dunlop, Bridgestone and Yokohama
I am looking at the new ZE914 - one of the reviews is on that site
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/ZE914.htm

olduser1

• Approved Member
Before you place an order check these sites;
mytyres.co.uk
blackcircles
and
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s460p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_16_inch_R16_inch_-_195_55_16_195_55R16

Then you may be able to get cashback via Quidco to save a few more £'s

guest3250

Thanks! I was looking at Black Circles - looks quite good
Does Camskill add to the price for fitting etc or is that the full fitted price? (do you know)

olduser1

• Approved Member
I just checked the site - http://www.camskill.co.uk/workshop.php
Fiting at their workshop in Whitehaven, maybe worth a trip out?

Tags: