Author Topic: Whatcar Car of the Year 2024  (Read 12158 times)

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
Whatcar Car of the Year 2024
« on: February 29, 2024, 05:44:34 PM »
Lexus LBX just been voted the above. It is clearly based on the Toyota Yaris Cross, but made much more luxurious and quieter. It is interestingly being promoted as being excellent value , compared with every report I read about the Mk 4 Jazz as being “ expensive”. Not seen or driven one, but by pricing it more competitively, Lexus are clearly wanting good sales figures.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
Re: Whatcar Car of the Year 2024
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 08:19:10 PM »
The top grade is pushing near 40 grand, and presumably it is a cvt gearbox, which won't be as much fun away from traffic lights I guess? I would be prepared to pay some for that interior if it is a good as they say, particularly like the display in the dash design, rather than a tablet glued on top, but I think inside it might be more cramped, and giving up the clever Honda engine/motor design would be regrettable.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 06:00:00 AM »
It has the fifth generation of Toyota’s hybrid drive. I’m not very enthusiastic about it: it also charges the battery more while driving and also switches to electric mode more to use that energy, so basically it is more like Honda’s system. But: since it has no clutch, the planetary gear needs to stop and start motor and engine. This was noticeable; not smooth at all, compared to the e:hev. I test drove a Corolla hybrid and  was glad to be back in my Jazz afterwards!

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 02:56:16 PM »
Sounds like the Aston Martin Signet to me. (a smart car with posh interior, same transmission, special paint job and a very smart Aston Martin badge on it.) 2012 for sale on Autotrader at Ł35k.
Can't polish a t*rd, springs to mind. ;D
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Whiteshark

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 04:54:47 PM »
I don’t think personally that the Yaris hybrid drive in whatever form, matches the hybrid technology of Honda. I also think the Honda Jazz car design to be brilliant. However Toyota are also brilliant at building reliable cars, which they have no problem selling. The prediction for the LBX Lexus is very low depreciation, which suggests it will be in high demand, even on resale. Lexus are often marmite, with wide polarisation but they do sell, with a very happy bunch of owners , of which I was once one.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 06:12:32 PM »
Sounds like the Aston Martin Signet to me.

Gosh, that was a turkey! Marketed as having Aston Martin looks !!!!...!!!.!!.. obviously just a smart car. Phew!
At least the Lexus will have some semblance of good reliability.

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 07:21:38 PM »
If you view the Weber state university u tube videos on both Toyota and Honda hybrid system they are very similar . Arguably Hondas using a compact multiplate clutch gives a more elegent solution to using the ICE power directly than Toyotas plantery gear ring . Both iMHO are more advanced than Nissan full hybrid which only ever propels the car using the electric motor 100% of the time . Other hybrids have the electric motor stuck in the engine gearbox drive train  losing efficiency by using a gearbox with shifting gears

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 07:43:10 PM »
I agree that Honda's system is very elaborate and provides an extremely smooth ride (that's one point why I bought a Honda instead of a Toyota).

If you are looking for sheer fuel efficency the Toyotas seem to perform slightly better.
I for one wouldn't want to trade the Honda's smoothness of ride against a few MPG more.

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 10:27:24 PM »
I have tested a hybrid Yaris cross and it does lack the smoothness of the jazz -but hard to quantify as to why ! In the jazz setting off , cruising then slowing braking and accelerating off again is seamless . There is no drive train slack whatsoever and believe the lack of a conventional gearbox plays a significant part. Maybe Hondas configuration is a result of its F1 hybrid engineering program as differs subtlety from Toyota solutions . In any case I would opt for either manufacture compared to a non hybrid or the inept Mild hybrid marketing offered by others who lack decades of hybrid history!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 04:28:25 AM »
Some magazines car of the year is often driven by advertising

I read a 3 car shootout some years ago where the final verdict and car order paid no resemblance to each cars write up

Needless to say the VAG came first and there was heavy VAG advertising throughout the mag
Let's be careful out there !

Whiteshark

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2024, 01:35:13 PM »
Very true

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 08:29:12 PM »
If you are looking for sheer fuel efficency the Toyotas seem to perform slightly better.
I for one wouldn't want to trade the Honda's smoothness of ride against a few MPG more.
I wonder if Toyota has paid more attention to the drag factor. The mpg for the Jazz/Crosstar and my HR-V drops substantially at high speed.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2024, 08:29:02 PM »
The Aston Martin Cygnet was based on the Toyota iQ. The Big Car channel on Youtube did a great video on the Cygnet's background. I've only seen two Cygnets since they came out.

I see What Car's view on the LBX is at odds with other publications. The likes of CAR, Autocar, Parkers, Top Gear and Autoexpress only rate it at 3-3.5 stars.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2024, 10:27:15 PM »
Only time will tell but I think Lexus might have been very clever in designing a premium, high spec and luxury interior small SUV at a realistic price. I suspect there are a good number of people seeking to downsize but want to retain the exclusive feel of their current Lexus’s, BMW’s, Merc’s etc. Most major quality makers have withdrawn from the small car market because they can’t make any money from them.
In all the tests I have read the quality and drive of the LBX has been excellent when driven as intended, quiet and smooth UNLESS you floor the accelerator and wring the last ounce of performance from it. The LBX is not for those type of drivers but for those who want a luxury small SUV - and I know a good many of my friend who have expressed an interest in the LBX. Not for those with growing families or thrusting ahead but perfect for those of us downsizing. However, it will be interesting to see how it fares in the months ahead.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 04:59:37 AM »
Smacks of the Lexus IS200 in strategy

The IS200 was Lexus cheapest model and biggest seller. I had one and it was superb. I unfortunately p/x it for a 2007 Civic iShift that I foolishly didn't take on a test drive.

I knew withing half a mile of collection I'd made a big mistake with the iShift box and the harsh suspension

I was sucked in with the Civic 8G toys
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything