Author Topic: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue  (Read 16525 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2022, 09:08:47 AM »
Maybe an unpair and go again ?
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2022, 09:41:49 AM »
Maybe an unpair and go again ?

Sadly It's been unpaired and paired 4+ times now. Also 2 factory resets as well. The issues also happened on my old iPhone as well. It won't connect then maybe 5 minutes later it will. Goes for days without issue and then starts again.

No music playing, phone in the car and not charging this time. Previous times phone was charging, first times were when using wired CarPlay. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

I even drove 110 miles yesterday with no music playing, just sat nav, to see if there was a difference.

Definitely something funny with the Jazz software - exactly the same thing with the blank screen and the What Car? long term Jazz.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 09:54:13 AM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2022, 06:00:38 PM »
Has it always been like this ?

My third thought, considering you have the App and therefore telematics, has an OTA update caused a wobbly.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2022, 06:10:26 PM »
Yes, it’s been doing it for months.

Works fine for days then goes funny.

At the service the dealer checked all the service bulletins and software and said everything was up to date.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2022, 06:05:08 PM »
The dealer have managed to raise a technical query with Honda from my videos.

Next step is for it to go in for a deep factory reset - they disconnect the battery for an hour and then do another factory reset.

Hopefully that may fix the issues.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2022, 02:16:04 PM »
After reading another post .......

It seems that as part of the headunit bootup procedure it reads any USB devices plugged in ?

My USB stick is a small 16Gb FAT32. I wonder if larger sticks cause issues, especially over 64Gb.

I wonder if phones plugged into the active USB port with loads of music installed cause issues ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 02:32:07 PM by Kremmen »

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2022, 03:23:51 PM »
Some peoples issues could indeed be caused by USB music / sticks - Honda systems don’t appear to be able to cope.

With mine, I’ve never had anything plugged into the USB apart from a data cable for the phone.

The car was doing the same thing with nothing at all plugged in as well, when I was using wireless CarPlay :(

So far working ok since the cold reset, but it’s only been a few days.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2022, 03:40:28 PM »
I forgot to add that I wonder if the wireless connection does the same checking. My phone has no music on it.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2022, 09:12:43 PM »
It could be - on CarPlay it might be getting ready to play music when you start it, as many times you can see the next track on the apple phone screen when not connected.

My start up issues have occurred without a phone being connected either wired or wireless - but maybe the car is trying to remember what track was playing last time when starting?

The software is generally a bit flaky unfortunately - my telematics issue with the unit disabling itself was supposed to be impossible without a Honda laptop according to the dealer.

Any decent software should just ignore anything plugged into the USB that wasn’t in a format it liked - rather than crashing the system.

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2022, 10:55:50 PM »
It could be - on CarPlay it might be getting ready to play music when you start it, as many times you can see the next track on the apple phone screen when not connected.

My start up issues have occurred without a phone being connected either wired or wireless - but maybe the car is trying to remember what track was playing last time when starting?

The software is generally a bit flaky unfortunately - my telematics issue with the unit disabling itself was supposed to be impossible without a Honda laptop according to the dealer.

Any decent software should just ignore anything plugged into the USB that wasn’t in a format it liked - rather than crashing the system.

Thanks, I think there are a lot of issues with software that’s not robust, see other thread ongoing with music file format giving strange behaviour and loss of voice guidance…..I’m trying to keep it all as simple as possible. Also see that Google maps on Car play really lags on the Jazz: same set up on my CRV hybrid gives no problem!
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2022, 05:26:08 AM »
I have the laggy maps too on CarPlay sometimes in the Jazz, it will drop behind and suddenly catch up.

Maybe the processor/data transfer limit in the Jazz isn’t quite good enough.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2022, 06:42:35 AM »
Interesting, my Samsung S10, Android 12, seems to have no issues.

I got a Android system update along with a couple of Google updates during the week so I was expecting the often 2 minute delay for Android Auto.

To my surprise the headunit booted up almost immediately and AA was just a few seconds behind.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2022, 08:34:08 PM »
Looks like the Honda technical solution of disconnecting the battery for one hour hasn’t worked.

No connection issues yet, but I am still occasionally getting the blank screen on startup.

Most of the time the Honda logo comes up straightaway and then I get the telematics screen to accept/wait before the menu comes up.

However, sometimes I either get a spinning circle logo or it’s just completely blank before the telematics screen comes up.

Last week I was again left waiting over 30 seconds after startup before I could use the menu.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2022, 04:04:25 AM »
Mine is random. Sometimes I get the nag screen almost immediately and sometimes it can take up to 30 secs as you say.

However, it's never failed to boot.

I don't have telematics.

guest9814

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2022, 04:36:15 AM »
Same black screen sometimes like Kremmen said, I think when we experience that black screen infotainment rebooting and that I think programmed, think about that how many times if you owned android tablet or phone you have weird behaviour just because you not rebooted you device for month or more.

Tags: