Author Topic: Kona and Crosstar?  (Read 1267 times)

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
Kona and Crosstar?
« on: July 12, 2022, 01:35:15 PM »
Looking for a potential Golf replacement in Oct when lease run out, so test driving and evaluating loads. Requirements, needs to be fairly spacious as i'm tall, more than 50mpg, preferably hybrid, automatic, relaxing on long trips, reliable.

My existing Golf 1.5 eTSI DSG has fitted the bill more or less soundly for 24 mths, but ive had several software glitches, as mentioned previously.  delivery time on new Golf is 9mths currently

We have a Crosstar and the Golf. The Golf we lease.  Golf is mainly used for long trips from Sussex to Yorkshire, which we do fairly often, whereas Crosstar is used by both of us for everything else, mainly local rural and town trips.

Could get another Golf as its been 80% good, and a superb cruiser, but i'm wondering whether a Japanese / Korean car might be better from software reliability perspective

Test drove Kona hybrid the other day as replacement for Golf. Kona approx same economy, maybe slightly better overall, very comfortable driving position, drab cabin, a lot less room overall than Crosstar, and less practical. quiet tho at 70mph, and has all the driving aids I like for long journeys, costs approx 27K tho for mid range model.  the question is, is it any better than a Crosstar which we already have?  id have to say from a long journey comfort perspective, probably 10% better, feels a bit bigger and more stable.  But for space, not in the same league as the Honda. 

is it better than Golf, no, I dont think so, but it promises to suffer from fewer or zero tech glitches in comparison to the VW.

Next on list to test drive this week are Toyota C-HR and Yaris Cross.  Already driven a HRV and like it a lot, although its a few quid more than I wanted to pay

8) ;D

ps...although the Crosstar does pretty much everything well, we still need 2 cars. 

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: Kona and Crosstar?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 01:51:31 PM »
Perhaps you should add a pure electric car to your possibles list - if you have off road parking for a home charger. That way you will be covered for potentially excessive fuel bills for a lot of your motoring as well as enjoying zero road tax. The latest EV’s have range in excess of 250 miles and while more expensive than hybrids do offer ‘cheaper’ motoring.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 01:58:53 PM »
One advantage with the Kona is you can buy a hybrid now and then change to an EV version of the same car in the future if you want to.

I've been in the back of a Kona hybrid taxi and thought it was very comfortable with good space - much better than CHR which is really pokey in the back.

Yaris cross does look stylish, I've seen a few around and the styling as a smaller RAV4 works well. I haven't driven the latest model Yaris, but owned a previous generation hybrid one that was good.

The only negative with Toyotas is they persist in sticking the catalytic converters out the bottom of the car, making them theft targets. I used to own an Auris hybrid and had paid for a catlock and tilt alarm - both useless as the thieves don't care and they don't slow them down much.

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 08:07:02 PM »
How does the Kia Niro compare to the Hyundai, as new version out that has the new kia/ Hyundai modern interior design?
Kia XCeed or proceed, as these would be Golf sized car and so better for long distance.
But these have the slightly dour interior, but seem good value. I had added as shortlist, as ' bigger' car at same price as jazz.  The Proceed i think are handsome,

Or new type Civic.  Which seems to get very good reviews for its hybrid.
 At not that much more than a Fiesta auto mild hybrid at £25k...

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 01:07:44 PM »
Perhaps you should add a pure electric car to your possibles list - if you have off road parking for a home charger. That way you will be covered for potentially excessive fuel bills for a lot of your motoring as well as enjoying zero road tax. The latest EV’s have range in excess of 250 miles and while more expensive than hybrids do offer ‘cheaper’ motoring.

This is the best suggestion as far as I can see. Use the electric car for all your local and regional trips and use the Crosstar for the longer trip.  MG have some really good looking EVs at the minute.

Hicardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 08:33:38 PM »
Thanks for those thoughts and recommendations guys. 

Yep id thought about an EV, but had decided the costs didnt stack up right now, they will of course, but right now it costs a lot more to buy an EV and there are quite a few range / charging compromises.  So in my mind I was going to park owning an EV until maybe 2027 onwards.

The Kia NIRO is the right size but expensive again and a long waiting list for a new one.

Right now its between the HRV, Kona, and YarisCross, which I drove and liked.  Interestingly, the CHR, whilst being marketed as from the class above, and the costs bears that out, actually offers no advantages over the Yaris Cross, and is actually behind in several areas, like space, flexibility, and wind noise at speed

Gotta make a decision by end August, so still see time to consider  ;D

Tags: