Author Topic: P0401 EGR  (Read 2271 times)

Stefan666

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006 Cool
P0401 EGR
« on: October 23, 2021, 04:30:49 PM »
Hey ! , new Jazz Owner here , and.. i need help  :)

I did read the monster-EGR topic, but i am getting myself into trouble now.

- Got the P0401 code.
- Car runs "decent" ( never owned many small engine blocks , so .. i am new to it.. used to line 6 Germans )
- So pulled out the code,  cleaned out the EGR , car runs slightly better in my opinion.

However .. code came back.
- Cleaned out the tube that goes from the EGR valve straight down
Code came back.

Ordered and fitted a new EGR valve .
Code came back .

- Looking for vacuum leaks,  circuit seems to be just fine .
- changed out the 8 spark plugs ( looks like somebody forgot that it had 8 ;p )   and not 4
Car runs even a bit better now,  but .. i still get the P0401 .. and i want it out ! - permanently -

What am i missing ?  :)

As far as the engine concerned, i do think there is something "faulty" as after a code reset the car runs
way better then when the "you still got a engine check lite comes on"
( bit rough on the idle to )

rekvy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2003, 1.4
Re: P0401 EGR
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 07:04:45 PM »
I think you have to clean egr passage in intake manifold...Lot of work, good luck :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 07:18:09 PM »
The P0401 code is common to many cars ( maybe even an OBD2 standard code ).

https://propermechanic.com/vehicle-parts/engine/engine-code-p0401-meaning-causes-fixes/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Stefan666

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 08:30:03 PM »
I think you have to clean egr passage in intake manifold...Lot of work, good luck :)

I did that as far i could for now, seems clear.
( i made a custom flex "drill" to get trough the pipe . )
Very little dirt came out , way less then i expected at least .

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 12:41:44 AM »
The P0401 code is common to many cars ( maybe even an OBD2 standard code ).

https://propermechanic.com/vehicle-parts/engine/engine-code-p0401-meaning-causes-fixes/

That link talks about diverting unburnt fuel and rich exhaust gases back to the intake. This is wrong. It is nothing to do with unburnt hydrocarbons.
EGR is used as an effectively inert gas which slows the burn rate, reducing peak temperatures and pressures and thus lowering the production of NOx in the cylinder.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 08:29:28 AM »
Sounds like you've done a thorough job. Have you checked the electrics to the EGR?
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Stefan666

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 11:21:32 AM »
I am trying my best to solve it before running to the big internet for help :)

Thing is , while this car is a 2006 ,  it is the newest "build date" car i own in over 20-ish years
of repairing my old bangers / keeping them roadworthy .
I am now running into "new tech stuff" that i never encountered before ( EGR by example )
So i got a bit of learning to do   ;D

No, there suppose to be a sensor that is connected to the EGR ( dpfe something ??? )
But i was unable yet to actually ...  locate it .  I have to shamefully admit.

The line i THOUGHT i had to follow ( located horizontal under the EGR turned out to be a .. cooling line.. whoeps ..
You might imagine my surprised look when i expect a vacuum line and cooling blood comes out .

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 08:07:03 AM »
That sounds just like my eldest brother, though I think he took it a bit far when he got a new body shell for a 1971 mini...

Anyway, I was just thinking does the EGR get 12 volts at all? Unfortunately I can't tell you what pin of the connector that should be.

"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Stefan666

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 08:40:21 AM »
Do tell me he did put in a Metro Turbo engine in it
While he was at it anyway  ;D

Nothing like using your turbo as a aigaret lighter as it fitted in the glovebox anyway .

Good question,  will check when i get home.
Its a non-messed-with car so i did not expect
Damage to the wiring.

Even the non-working oem-radio is still in it.

And i got to adnit i did not check if the egr is seperate fused at all now i think of it.

But so far i am impressed with the little tiny honda,  even compared to the " few class higher "  germans.

It is all small , but you can still work on it.
( unless its changing out the headlight i guess :p )

Annddd back to work

rekvy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2003, 1.4
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 04:15:17 PM »
You can also try to clean connector to egr as well as the connector on EGR itself. I used isoprophyl alcohol and contact cleaner. I had the same problem as you havem but cleaning egr passages worked for me though...

Stefan666

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 05:22:00 PM »
Progress report !

Made it home just before losing daylight  , so no time to lose.

I started to do a Voltage test on the EGR valve ( lower right is Voltage ).
And i got a 11,3V ... 

wait... 11.3 ?

So that triggered me , as the car just started fine .

Turned out the negative on the cute battery was lose .. could just yank it off without even trying hard.

Fixed that.

And now we shall have 12.9 ( after a bit of running, so.. keep that in mind.. engine was off at the 12,9 )

Cleaned the EGR plug with contact spray ( seems fine.. but.. whatever right.. got it here anyway )
And cleaned I THINK.. the DPDE .. sensor .. maybe plug..  as it was the only sensor i could find
who got vac attached to it .   Its on top of the enige, near the gas-valve-box.

Voltage test was a bit strange on it, 3V .. so i got to check on that later .. maybe.

So i proceeded to tinker around a bit ( look dumb and pretend you know what your doing )
And with the car running i pulled the EGR plug off..  trows instantly a 0405 code.. "seems fine".

Replugged..  check for codes..  - nothing -

So i did a test drive , did what a EGR usually does not enjoy, some high revs ( ok, lets be honest.. high speed is .. not really a think with a Jazz ;p )  , and low revs.. near-stall-clutch play..

Still..
No 0401 code ..

Odd..

So i ran out of time / daylight / mood to keep trying, but.. we will see on a better test drive,  last time
after replacing the egr it did come back after "a while" . ( and i still got to cold-start it )

So.. i guess,  repair ( maybe ) .. hopefull ( not really ) , but i will keep informed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 05:30:25 PM »
There are people on forum who have had all sorts of odd codes pop up, many on electric steering when battery was failing or bad connection.  Seems that low voltage on the system can upset many things on modern cars..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Stefan666

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 05:36:39 PM »
I was reading on that to ( mind you , learning here )

Something with a power steering alone pulling 40A ???  ( that.. is a lot )
And you get issue's with it if the battery is broken/going bad or something.

No idea how the power steering SHOULD be on a Jazz,  compared to my previous german's
its relative heavy .

I have a slight.. very slight hope that this might have "bugged out" this code ..
Who knows

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 06:27:39 PM »
I was reading on that to ( mind you , learning here )

Something with a power steering alone pulling 40A ???  ( that.. is a lot )
And you get issue's with it if the battery is broken/going bad or something.

No idea how the power steering SHOULD be on a Jazz,  compared to my previous german's
its relative heavy .

I have a slight.. very slight hope that this might have "bugged out" this code ..
Who knows

2008 onwards the  Jazz power steering pulls 60 amps, the MK1 Jazz EPS was a bit underpowered but now the technology has matured and the controls are better it will only draw 60 amps when it absolutely needs to  ( a lot of people I see can turn a stationary wheel from lock to lock on dry concrete or tarmac, now that is hard on the tyres, the steering joints and the motor ).  Early EPS systems had a bad habit of draining the car battery - even when parking only once  :o    So if you do short journeys with lots of parking manoeuvring it can really beat up the battery charge.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 06:30:40 PM by culzean »

Stefan666

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 07:11:21 PM »
That is the reason i actually got this Jazz ,
To do a bit better on short runs.,
( aka .. shopping runs )

Wife about to get her licence ( about time ;p ) and we mostly used my gas guzzling fuel drinking bmw
for short trips .    1 liter at 5 km ( torture me for miles ) gets old fast . Not to mention expensive ;p

She did not want to drive a high hp car for a "first car" and well..

Due some annoying global issue's our long range travels kind of halted  .. so .. why keep the big boy
who drinks my wallet empty .
( and it was worn down to ;p )

Tags:

anything