Author Topic: Mileage at first service?  (Read 4498 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Mileage at first service?
« on: October 23, 2021, 12:57:52 PM »
For those that have already had a service, how many miles had you done when the car said it was due please?

I’ve only done 4,000 miles so far but the car is saying under 6 months left now until the first service.

I do mainly motorway driving, so the petrol engine is running a lot but 8,000 miles between services seems low.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Mileage at first service?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 01:12:28 PM »
My information is that Honda requires service every 20.000 kilometres (12500 miles) or every year, what comes first.
So, even when you drove only 2000 miles in a year Honda wants to service your Jazz...  ???
If nothing goes right, go left!

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 01:29:56 PM »
Service has to be done annually at least, mine had 4.5K on the clock at the first service just before the anniversary of the date first registered

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 01:30:18 PM »
Yes, a service once a year is always recommended.

On my Toyota hybrid, the service intervals were one year or 12,500 miles.

But on the Jazz it seems to have variable servicing depending on how the car is driven. Short trips/motorway driving will likely require servicing in less than the standard mileage.

I’ve been watching the time to service display and it has been going down more than the months that have passed, so must be adjusting for different driving conditions.

guest9814

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 01:51:57 PM »
I done 14900km and next monday exactly 12 month from car purchase - most of my jorneys 8-10 km with speed ~40-50km/h sometime driving at 80-90 km/h for 120-300km
My Jazz still not asking for service .....
My Jazz is Elegance.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 02:00:26 PM »
I bought my Jazz 2 months ago, the mileage was 8 and showing 360 days to service…

Now, 2 months and 4000 miles later it shows only 170 days left until service.

Probably 80-90% is motorway driving at 70mph (113kph.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 02:02:21 PM by sportse »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 02:11:21 PM »
My dealer told me 12500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first , but you are allowed to go up to a 1000 miles over on mileage ,or book in for service  a month early or late without affecting the warranty. 

He also said that due to complaints  about early service reminders  the system had been disabled on my car and I would be reminded by their service department.     I think he said it is now Honda policy to disable this by default.  .   There is a tick box printed in the  service book  which shows whether or not the system is disabled on that particular car.  (next to the pre delivery dealers stamp)

My only concern is whether the system will still warn me if the oil level is getting low (not just  the oil pressure warning light ! ) Of course I can use the dipstick  but the handbook says oil consumption can be up to 1 litre per 1000km (625 miles)  I have been known to do that in a day.  (To be fair my Toyota Yaris handbook quoted the same oil consumption but never used much oil.)

The oil is not available everywhere.  Should I buy a litre, or  a 4 -5 litre container? 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 02:37:05 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 02:36:47 PM »
Exactly the same issue on the Civic and dealers mostly didn't activate it.

I'm sure if it does start to nag before the due date or mileage you can reset it.

Mine will be one year as I'm very low mileage now.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 02:51:46 PM »
My dealer told me 12500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first , but you are allowed to go up to a 1000 miles over on mileage ,or book in for service  a month early or late without affecting the warranty. 

He also said that due to complaints  about early service reminders  the system had been disabled on my car and I would be reminded by their service department.     I think he said it is now Honda policy to disable this by default.  .   There is a tick box printed in the  service book  which shows whether or not the system is disabled on that particular car.  (next to the pre delivery dealers stamp)

My only concern is whether the system will still warn me if the oil level is getting low (not just  the oil pressure warning light ! ) Of course I can use the dipstick  but the handbook says oil consumption can be up to 1 litre per 1000km (625 miles)  I have been known to do that in a day.  (To be fair my Toyota Yaris handbook quoted the same oil consumption but never used much oil.)

The oil is not available everywhere.  Should I buy a litre, or  a 4 -5 litre container?
I was able to get a top up 1 litre bottle from the dealer.

After 4000 miles, the oil is still at the top of the dipstick so it hasn’t used any.

It’s very difficult to read the oil level though , particularly when the oil is new and clear as it doesn’t really show well on the plastic measuring part of the dipstick.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 04:29:38 PM »

I was able to get a top up 1 litre bottle from the dealer.

After 4000 miles, the oil is still at the top of the dipstick so it hasn’t used any.

It’s very difficult to read the oil level though , particularly when the oil is new and clear as it doesn’t really show well on the plastic measuring part of the dipstick.

Thats good. I already have a garage full of unsuitable oil left over from earlier cars!  I'll get a litre  for now and see how it goes
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 05:12:42 PM »

Get a piece of folder toilet paper ready,  and when you pull the dipstick out put the end flat on the paper,  the oil will show up -  the oil stain does start to spread after a short time, but plenty time for you to check.

You should actually take the dipstick out and wipe it clean first,  and then put back ion to take 'proper' reading,  this is because oil splashes onto dipstick when engine running and may not drain off completely.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 05:54:12 PM »

Get a piece of folder toilet paper ready,  and when you pull the dipstick out put the end flat on the paper,  the oil will show up -  the oil stain does start to spread after a short time, but plenty time for you to check.

You should actually take the dipstick out and wipe it clean first,  and then put back ion to take 'proper' reading,  this is because oil splashes onto dipstick when engine running and may not drain off completely.
Thanks, yes I’d had to do that initially as the oil was completely clear to start with.

The plastic dipstick end is a bit unusual as I hadn’t seen this before.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 08:23:24 PM »
I've always asked for the variable service reminder system to be off so I'm on the annual service which is least time-wasting for both me and the dealer. Imagine going for an oil change one week which if followed shortly afterwards by a message to get something else done, etc. Less wasteful in consumables perhaps but more wasteful in time and fuel.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 11:48:45 AM »
My last Jazz Hybrid (65 reg) I bought with 1250 miles on it but it had already had 2 services, at 900 and 1200 miles, and I became the 3rd owner whilst the car was only 2 years old.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 12:55:39 PM »
I've always asked for the variable service reminder system to be off so I'm on the annual service which is least time-wasting for both me and the dealer. Imagine going for an oil change one week which if followed shortly afterwards by a message to get something else done, etc. Less wasteful in consumables perhaps but more wasteful in time and fuel.

At least the Honda one seems to be just a days left indicator based on usage - I know people with BMW's who have had the car at the dealer for service only to have to return a few weeks later because the car said something else now needed serviced.

Based on my mileage of maybe 15,000pa motorway, it looks like the Jazz may require serviced every 6/7 months based on the variable interval - I'll see about having it changed at the first service.

Tags: