Author Topic: Front brake disc backing plates - an MOT requirement???  (Read 1210 times)

100K+

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Front brake disc backing plates - an MOT requirement???
« on: October 22, 2021, 02:30:35 PM »
I have a  somewhat crusty 2006 Jazz, which has been kept mechanically reasonably well maintained, but body especially underneath is poor. I had been planned to scrap the car at the next MOT ( March 2022) but I'd like to try for one more year. I have just renewed the front discs and pads and noticed that one backing plate is totally missing and the other is missing large bits.
Research from here and on the web infers these items are dealer only ( not really a problem) but alarmingly in order to get access to the 3 cross head screws that hold the backing plate, the hub bearing has to be removed and then replaced. ( it can't be reused apparently???)  In the circumstances I find this a cost too far.. I have thought about drilling a hole on the hub flange above the screws so at least I can attack them, and replace the plate with a home made DIY plate. I have no welding kit or skills but I do have access to an old cooker shell, which could furnish DIY plates.
As it stands an MOT failure??? and not sure if the car is worth the investment of new hub bearings.

What do you all think??

Cheers
Bob

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
Re: Front brake disc backing plates - an MOT requirement???
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 03:29:52 PM »
Hi Bob,

Are you`re referring to the splash shield?
I don`t know if it`s an MOT requirement but a big job to replace it, as you said.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 03:35:57 PM »
The MOT manual is here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/1-brakes

From what I understand, unless the backing plate or what is left of it, is insecure, all will be fine. Have a look at 1.1.21 (c) Any component insecure or inadequately mounted

If it were my car, I wouldn't be replacing the backing plates.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 03:48:02 PM »
I would do nothing except tidy up what metal is left, removing any bits that look loose.

Some early cars with disk brakes had no splash shields - my 1966 Lotus Elan for one.

100K+

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 04:27:03 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. After consideration I will tidy up the damaged shield and move on. Repair appears to be not worthy of the cost or the effort, especially when considering the expected life of the jazz. There does not appear to be a down side.

Cheers Bob.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 06:13:49 PM »
Don't know about your Jazz, but just as food for thought I recently got a used Yaris which was a bit "frilly round the edges" underneath so i spent some time cleaning up, de-rusting and priming/painting, including the front suspension arms and the hub areas with brake splash shields.
The shields were fixed with hex head bolts with sockets (I think Torx). I removed them using the hex, I doubt the socket would have held up, but they came out no issue. The shields had a round hole in the middle so couldn't be removed with the driveshafts/hubs in place, but I remember thinking that you could simply cut out the thin section in the shield where the caliper sits and remove old ones and fit new ones without disturbing the hubs.  The fixing points would offer enough support without the thin section in place and would be better than nothing.
Aygos (etc) don't have these shields and they suffer badly from corrosion on the inner disc face especially if not in daily use.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:16:07 PM by embee »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 11:39:41 PM »
As maaf says above, just remove any bits that are flapping. They are not necessary for MOT.

To remove the front hubs, you have to destroy the bearings and they have to be replaced.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 08:59:41 AM »
some years ago i had an old fiat regatta and one of the front shields decided to depart while driving along lol.. anyway i ripped it off on the road side.. when i took it in to the mot.. the tester said oh best to just remove the other side.. as it should be a failier if only one is missing.. but a pass if both are absent

Tags:

anything