Author Topic: Defrosting our freezer question  (Read 942 times)

guest9236

Defrosting our freezer question
« on: October 22, 2021, 10:53:25 AM »
A friend has suggested we use car windscreen de-icer spray to accelerate the process,or would this be unwise, or if someone has a better idea that would be appreciated.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: Defrosting our freezer question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 10:55:07 AM »
I wouldn’t use de-icer. Put bowls of boiling water inside or use a hair dryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »
Bowls of hot water, close doors .. works for us.

De icer? fine to poison food.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 11:18:30 AM »
Most of the general ingredients used in De-icer are pretty harmless,   https://www.wakingscience.com/12-most-commonly-used-de-icer-ingredients/

But I still use the bowl of hot water method, - except on our frost-free fridge freezer  ;D
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 12:13:16 PM »
I do our freezer annually and try to do it on a warm day. I pre freeze freezer blocks and pop them in the fridge section above during the defrost period, leave the freezer door open and use a small desk fan to blow in the warm room air, no need to hold the hair dryer.
Just need to keep an eye on the water and mop up as required.
When done, pop back in the freezer blocks.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 12:57:19 PM »
A friend has suggested we use car windscreen de-icer spray to accelerate the process,or would this be unwise, or if someone has a better idea that would be appreciated.
Basics physics: you can’t change the state of a material unless you add or remove energy. So to melt ice you have to add enough heat to change its state from solid to liquid, aka latent heat of fusion. Squirting in any sort of de-icer isn’t going to add enough energy so you’re going to have to add heat anyway. As already suggested, best way is hot air or hot water.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 01:18:38 PM »
Basics physics: you can’t change the state of a material unless you add or remove energy. So to melt ice you have to add enough heat to change its state from solid to liquid, aka latent heat of fusion. Squirting in any sort of de-icer isn’t going to add enough energy so you’re going to have to add heat anyway. As already suggested, best way is hot air or hot water.

Presumably you would have to leave freezer door open so that heat can be absorbed from the room.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 01:21:11 PM »
Or maybe we could all come round and utilise all the hot air we generate to defrost your freezer.
 ;D 8)

guest9236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 02:14:44 PM »
Thank you all for input will use hot water method as recommended.

Tags: