Poll

Premium Unleaded, EuroSuper, EuroPremium,  Regular Unleaded (95 RON)
12 (23.1%)
Super Unleaded (98 RON)
1 (1.9%)
Premium (Shell V-Power)
8 (15.4%)
E10
31 (59.6%)
supreme 99+ E5
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: October 15, 2022, 10:07:03 AM

Author Topic: Fuel that we use in our Jazz  (Read 5247 times)

guest9814

Fuel that we use in our Jazz
« on: October 15, 2021, 10:07:03 AM »
If recently changed fuel type and have difference in fuel consumption comment please.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Fuel that we use in our Jazz
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 11:04:06 AM »
I can't comment because I got mine just as the switch to E10 was implemented.
Let's be careful out there !

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 11:34:21 AM »
I just use what comes out of the unleaded pump, I don't have a sporty engine so any more expensive fuel would be pointless.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 12:21:01 PM »
Here in Poland it is (still) simple: Euro 95 and 98 are both E5. So I fill the tank with Euro 95 E5. Preferably at a gas station with a reasonable (read low) price.
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 02:01:52 PM »
Apart from the tank of fuel my car was delivered with, it's only had Shell V-Power E5 99.

I've always used V power, either petrol or diesel in cars I've owned for many years.

When I had a diesel it was hard to find fresh V-Power, as they didn't seem to sell much apart from on the motorway. Pulling away from a non-motorway station it was like you had switched on eco mode!

V Power petrol seems to be fresher, and will be more so in future as it is the only E5 sold at Shell stations now.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 03:58:26 PM by sportse »

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 09:13:58 AM »
I just go with the pump - was e5 - now e10 (e5 is more expensive) get about 3/4 mpg more on several fill ups. usually Tesco.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 09:50:37 AM »
I'm sure if you did the maths, E5 cost and MPG v E10 cost and MPG I'll bet E10 is more cost effective.

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 10:06:24 AM »
I’ve tended to use E5, now E10 95RON petrol, either from Tesco or local Esso station.
I haven’t noticed any difference in fuel consumption between E5 and E10.
I’m planning to fill a tank with RON98 petrol, to determine if economy and/or performance improves, although suspect performance will largely be the same due to the predominantly electric motor drive of the hybrid system.
I have noticed swifter pick up when the eco mode is off, a feeling that the accelerator response is dulled whilst in eco mode, which I experimented with in urban environments, when the car moves away from standstill frequently. I haven’t run the car out of eco mode for long periods, so will likely run a tank of E10 95RON without eco mode, then compare to a tank of E5 99RON in and out of ECO mode. I’m driving extensively on motorways several times a week, with urban parts of journey at either end. I stick to 70mph on motorways, although for many stretches this is reduced to 60/50/40 variable speed limit with periods of stop/start congestion.
The car fuel consumption reading, if this is to believed, rarely drops below 60 mpg and am averaging mid 60s mpg, which I feel is excellent for an automatic car with fairly brisk acceleration. Whilst driving small SUV manual hire cars, such as Renault Captur and Hyundai Kona, I’ve averaged mid 40s mpg, with more lethargic engines. A Skoda Octavia auto 150PS petrol averaged around 40 and had decent acceleration, although a much larger car and very spacious seating and boot space. I was impressed with a Vauxhall Crossland, 130PS manual, much more spacious than the Captur and Kona, both in rear seat width/legroom and boot, with a lively engine, yet similar reported fuel economy.
I find the Jazz a good balance between economy, space and performance and it’s narrower width is very relaxing whilst driving in urban environments, passing rows of parked cars with oncoming traffic and ease of parking, due to shorter length and good visibility. Although a narrower width, the passenger space doesn’t feel constrained, although a centre rear passenger would probably be snug but I’m not likely carry five in the car.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 10:15:15 AM by IanG »

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 10:22:21 AM »
I've found that the 99RON fuel allows a little bit more torque at lower rpm in various cars I've driven before.

In the Jazz this should maybe translate to having the petrol generator run at lower revs to provide the electricity needed.

(I also looked at Vauxhall Crossland before buying the Jazz - I've driven them for a few weeks as loan cars. The puretech 130hp engine combined with the 8 speed automatic is a great combination used in various cars. MPG I've found was low forties, the same as my Toyota Auris hybrid used to get.)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 11:05:08 AM »
I've no idea about performance gains or losses as I tend to drive like I've got a boot full of eggs.

That probably comes from driving a double deck bus with standing passengers in London.

Easy does it :)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 12:35:38 PM »
My completely unscientific approach in terms of what grade of fuel to use in the hybrid Jazz is that, by definition, given the assistance from the electric motor, the engine will be less stressed so any benefits of higher grade fuel (better torque etc) will be less so I've decided to stick with E10.

I speak as someone who has been susceptible to the marketing hype around premium/super fuels.

I drive with industrial quantities of eggs on board as well ;D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 01:37:07 PM »
I posted this on Civinfo in 2008 :

Which? magazine have been at it again and this month it's petrol.

They have run a Focus and Golf with various fuels for a while under controlled conditions and have posted the results.

As expected, by me, there is hardly any difference between all the fuels, maybe a mile per gallon. The Shell 99 did produce the best bhp figure though:

Esso 95 RON - 33.7 mpg - 81.5 bhp
Tesco 95 RON - 34.1 mpg - 82.5 bhp
Tesco 99 RON - 34.5 mpg - 82 bhp
Shell 95 RON - 34.0 mpg - 82 bhp
Shell 99 RON - 34.3 mpg - 84.4 bhp

The comical bit I noticed is that when they tested each fuel for it's actual RON the Tesco 95 actually tested at 97 !

Also, both cars performed better on 95 RON than the Tesco 99 RON !

and I posted this over there in July 2009 :

I've tried BP Ultimate Super Unleaded (97RON), Tesco High Octane 99RON), normal BP Ultimate (95RON) and normal Tesco unleaded (95RON).

To make the test more realistic, in my case (200 miles a week), I needed to use each for a month to ensure that on the last week I was still not running a cocktail of petrols.

and the results in my 1.8 i-shift = ........................

.............not a blind bit of difference with my mpg staying constant throughout, and no noticeable change in engine smoothness or performance !
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 01:40:52 PM by Kremmen »

guest9814

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 02:48:37 PM »
I've found that the 99RON fuel allows a little bit more torque at lower rpm in various cars I've driven before.

In the Jazz this should maybe translate to having the petrol generator run at lower revs to provide the electricity needed.

(I also looked at Vauxhall Crossland before buying the Jazz - I've driven them for a few weeks as loan cars. The puretech 130hp engine combined with the 8 speed automatic is a great combination used in various cars. MPG I've found was low forties, the same as my Toyota Auris hybrid used to get.)
Not on lower RPM but maybe for shorter periods of time to generate same amount of electricity.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 03:08:14 PM »
I think I already mentioned it earlier: a difference of 1 Beaufort (headwind or tailwind) gives more difference in consumption than RON 95, RON 98 or RON 99, E5 or E10.

However: RON 95 or 99 for sure DOES make a difference: £, €, $....  :(

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:13:26 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

guest9814

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 03:50:30 PM »
Lets see
If you drive car with consumption 3.3l/100 km using fuel that cost 1.68 euros for 1 litre
And compare with same car that have consumption 2.6l /100km using fuel that cost 1.83 euros for 1 litre
Which driver wins ?

Tags: