Author Topic: Silly article in today's Autocar  (Read 2352 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Silly article in today's Autocar
« on: October 13, 2021, 05:35:06 PM »
Matt Prior's page at the back of this week's issue.

Apparently his (fictional?) friend he recommended to buy a Mk4 Jazz as it meets all her requirements... can't bear to drive it as when they come out of their house and see it their heart sinks and they think it signifies the end of their life!

Not sure why road testers seem to have it in for the Jazz?

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
Re: Silly article in today's Autocar
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 07:29:40 PM »
The testers think that "quality plastic" used in VWs and Audis mean that German engineering is supreme.  They drive test cars that are new and for which they don't pay. 

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 07:31:51 PM »
Maybe Matt is paid by the (the above mentioned...?) competition and tries to ehhh...  
If nothing goes right, go left!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 08:36:41 PM »
The testers think that "quality plastic" used in VWs and Audis mean that German engineering is supreme.  They drive test cars that are new and for which they don't pay.

The magazines that they write for are also dependent upon advertising from many German car companies, Honda do not spend much on advertising.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

SteveM

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 10:22:07 PM »
Kinda sorta related (and IMO journo's lost the plot in the car world years ago so, eh, nonsense is par for the course) but parked the Jazz up nose-out when I went into work this morning. Normally don't bother as suicidal golf buggies make the rear camera very handy... Anyway, struck me when coming back this evening to a full car park just how aggressive that front end is when viewed in isolation! Wasn't expecting to ever say that but it genuinely had a 'did you spill my pint' glare going on at the Golf across the way. Kinda curious now what a Type R version could look like... hints of the early 2000's Civic maybe?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 03:55:13 AM »
I pay far more attention to the dash layout when choosing a car. That's where I spend most time so a pleasing dash is critical.

Open many car magazines and they often start with a VAG group double spread so they are not going to upset them by telling the truth.

One of my friends used to be a VW salesman, about 15 years ago, but he left because he was almost weekly being confronted by disgruntled owners with problems.  In particular the DSG box that often broke, just out of warranty, and at that time cost £7k to replace as a repair was uneconomic.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 10:48:06 AM »
Just been out in my Mk4 (only to the shops) and I genuinely don't get the anti Jazz thing. It's hard wired into these idiots. I was wafting along in Rolls Royce like silence. Best car I've ever had!

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 10:56:24 AM »
  In particular the DSG box that often broke, just out of warranty, and at that time cost £7k to replace as a repair was uneconomic.
Tell me about it! That was the old DQ200 'dry' unit. Non of mine ever suffered but as Mod on Kodiaq &. Karoq forums and  regular user of Yeti forum, it is quite true. The DQ200 was not good.
5 of my 8 Skodas had it and only on one did I have a grumbling noise from it. Didn't affect the change, but decided to get shot rather than have an argument (in warranty) with Skoda.
BTW Kremmen, are you an insomniac or is your clock wrong 03.55?? This morning? :o
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 11:06:09 AM »
Just been out in my Mk4 (only to the shops) and I genuinely don't get the anti Jazz thing. It's hard wired into these idiots. I was wafting along in Rolls Royce like silence. Best car I've ever had!

+1
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 11:15:23 AM »
Quote from: Karoq link=topic=13874.msg108980#msg108980 date=163420538
BTW Kremmen, are you an insomniac or is your clock wrong 03.55?? This morning? :o
[/quote

Nope, I keep funny hours. Now that I can, I love the quiet early mornings. When I worked I used to leave about 05:30 to miss the worst of the A312 Hayes- by-pass and the M25 western section. By about 05:45 the by-pass starts to clog as it's a main drag into Heathrow with a lot of 06:00 starters and by 06:30 the M25 was starting to build up.
Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »
Matt Prior's page at the back of this week's issue.

Apparently his (fictional?) friend he recommended to buy a Mk4 Jazz as it meets all her requirements... can't bear to drive it as when they come out of their house and see it their heart sinks and they think it signifies the end of their life!

Not sure why road testers seem to have it in for the Jazz?

And here it is.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/honda/hr-v
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 11:51:44 AM »
A few quotes from the Autocar Honda Jazz review (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/honda/jazz):

"Remains a car that many a motoring journalist will recommend to others but very few would own. Its packaging and efficiency really are marvels; but these are the things that sell white goods, not cars."
Matt Saunders | Road test editor

"Stable, predictable handling is the Jazz’s approach to cornering, with ease of driving prioritised over engagement. Its body can lean a bit under load but balance is neutral."

"Eminently practical, impressively frugal and pretty joyless to drive."

And there is still this:
But while the car might not pack the same level of visual punch as the latest Yaris or Clio, most testers agreed that calling the Jazz unattractive would be unjust. It’s a relatively handsome car, but it certainly isn’t one that will turn many heads on the high street.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Matt has a (fictional?) friend. The Mk4 Jazz meets all her requirements but... she can't bear to drive it as when they come out of their house and see it their heart sinks and they think it signifies the end of their life!

So... Matt recommended this friend to buy a car. She did buy it (without having a look at it?) and now...
Are we serious here or is this a (bad) joke?   
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Silly article in today's Autocar
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 12:16:29 PM »
They do seem to conflict themselves saying it’s good then saying you shouldn’t buy it!

Lots of reviewers go on saying the Jazz is an elderly person’s mobility vehicle. Even Matt Watson’s review goes on about old people when he says himself the 0-60 is better than his GTI car he used to have as a youngster.

According to lots of car reviewers we should buy things like the Volvo XC40 SUV.

Except I’ve spent days driving them as courtesy cars when my previous Volvo had broken down again and was in the garage.

Even though the XC40 costs £34k, I’d say the £22k Jazz EX is a better car - the same if not better performance, better mpg, better driving position, better infotainment, better tech. The hybrid system in the Jazz is much better than the 3 cylinder engine with turbo lag in the Volvo.

When most cars are EV, car reviewers will be out of a job - they won’t be able to say anything about the engines as they are all the same - instant torque and no noise.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 12:23:18 PM by sportse »

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 12:25:43 PM »
They do seem to conflict themselves saying it’s good then saying you shouldn’t buy it!

According to lots of car reviewers we should buy things like the Volvo XC40 SUV.

Except I’ve spent days driving them as courtesy cars when my previous Volvo had broken down again and was in the garage.

Even though the XC40 costs £34k, I’d say the £22k Jazz EX is a better car - the same if not better performance, better mpg, better driving position, better infotainment, better tech. The hybrid system in the Jazz is much better than the 3 cylinder engine with turbo lag in the Volvo.

When most cars are EV, car reviewers will be out of a job - they won’t be able to say anything about the engines as they are all the same - instant torque and no noise.

I test drove a new XC40 at the same time as looking at the Jazz. I had never been in such a “wallowy “ car, the ride made you feel nauseous. The touch screen was confusing and to get features such as ACC you were looking at nearer £38K. But What Car? sings its praises. And it is still a conventional petrol engine car, to go hybrid you are well over £40K. So I very much second Sportse’s comments.

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 12:57:57 PM »
For a decent review see
Convinced me.  Just ordered a Crosstar in Sunlight White for delivery in November, just days after my BMW X1 lease expires.  Can't wait.

Tags: