Author Topic: Noise when braking  (Read 1202 times)

Lewo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Noise when braking
« on: October 11, 2021, 02:40:26 PM »
So after a bit of searching, realised that the metal dink sound from both sides at the front when braking are the pistons hitting the metal back of the pads.
I know some pads have some sort of material there, I guess to stop this noise, but there's nothing on these Brembo pads.
I was thinking of sticking a couple of layers of ducktape.
Will that work or any better ideas?
Cheers.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Noise when braking
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 03:34:29 PM »
I was thinking of sticking a couple of layers of ducktape.

It's duct tape.  Be aware of the tape coming off and getting tangled up in the brakes.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 03:54:26 PM »
The front brakes can get pretty hot even under normal usage,  the rear brakes do almost nothing and only get hot if the pads are dragging.  Personally I would just leave the brakes as they are, in any case duct tape is one of the last things I would use.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 04:53:57 PM »
It's duct tape.

Not necessarily...

jim157

• Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 05:24:49 PM »
The oem pads come with shims to stop pad rattle. Some aftermarket pads used to come with them too but the last couple sets of brembo I've bought didn't.

If you want to fit the oem shims you can still buy them as a set.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 06:31:21 PM »
Part suppliers are cutting every corner to make more profit, hope they are not using cheaper pad materials as well..  Even the genuine Honda pad sets do not contain half the parts they used to.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Lewo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 08:02:47 PM »
The oem pads come with shims to stop pad rattle. Some aftermarket pads used to come with them too but the last couple sets of brembo I've bought didn't.

If you want to fit the oem shims you can still buy them as a set.

Cheers, pretty pricey tho!

Lewo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 08:12:33 PM »
Ok the point I'm trying to make is that with these Brembo pads I get the clunk noise,
The previous pads didn't, can't remember the make  :o. Some pads do have some sort of softer back material. Think greenstuff pads do so can I use something other than the expensive shims?
Cheers.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 11:01:26 PM »
Did you file and grease the brake pad "lugs"
And clean / grease the slide pins.

Can't say I have ever had it where I hear the piston hitting the pad.

JAMBO

• Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 06:15:04 PM »
My brakes were squealing and found the disk shims were missing from the pads. I was told you should remove the shims off the original brake pads and fit them to the new ones. Problem was a garage fitted the brakes pads years ago so I don't have them. I found that if you get the original pads from Honda they will come with the shims.
But this should NOT cause a clunk noise!  You should check all your suspension linkages, I think something may be coming loose! I watched them put a crow bar on my suspension links to confirm everything was tight. My brake calliper pins were also loose, but that caused the callipers to rumble or rattle going over pot holes in the road.

Lewo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 11:20:25 PM »
Right, car has new MOT, phew!
Tester said it would probably need new rear calipers for next MOT, fair enough.
Re noise from the front, noise has gone, for now, a thicker smear of coppaslip on the back of pads and more grease on the ears has done it.
Thanks for thoughts.

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 10:31:14 PM »
If you're going to change the rear callipers and it is the original Honda ones you still have on it, just get them refurbished with BiggRed company. Think it cost £140  including the postage.
I had awful lot of problems with after marker sticky callipers from Ebay and also Redex brand from AutoDr.
You pay extra £20 for your own genuine Honda calipers to get refurbished by BiggRed and no more troubles.

Right, car has new MOT, phew!
Tester said it would probably need new rear calipers for next MOT, fair enough.
Re noise from the front, noise has gone, for now, a thicker smear of coppaslip on the back of pads and more grease on the ears has done it.
Thanks for thoughts.

Lewo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 12:54:15 AM »
Thanks for info. I'll probably get the cheap ones off Ebay to start with but will keep the old ones if they are the originals. Can then send them off if the cheap ones don't last.
The ebay one on the front is doing ok at the mo.

Tags: