Author Topic: Full size spare  (Read 1167 times)

looneytunes

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX
Full size spare
« on: October 13, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »
I have just added a full size 16" spare alloy wheel to my 2018 Jazz EX and am quite pleased with the result so thought I would share. The cover panel is 12mm ply, so strong enough for those bags of Innes number 2 from the garden centre. Draw around the original foam insert but add around 7cm to the front to rest on the forward wheel well lip. be careful of the black box and cable mounted on the forward lip. When the carpet is folded back the floor is perfectly level. The rear of the panel rests on the spare wheel tyre.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Full size spare
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »
Good job. Looks good imho.  :D

A full size spare is a benefit that has paid dividend for me earlier this year, well worth having.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 02:36:28 PM »
thinking of doing something similar on my Mk1 although a full size spare would be higher than the well. so thinking doing the same cutting a piece of plyboard to fit the boot using the original panel as a template but then cutting a wheel size hole in the middle where the spare would protrude. then getting a 4/4 spare wheel cover blank so i can wrap that around the wheel then ive got some self adhesive carpet il put that on the panel. so should look neat and tidy when all in place.. just lose a tad room on the boot floor height in the middle.

FarNorthJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 03:31:51 PM »
I had the same problem that after removing the plastic moulding and installing a full size spare there is a "hole" in the centre of the wheel that the boot carpet, and anything resting on it pushes down into.   

In practice,  by the time the jack and the tyre inflater compressor,  bag with hi-viz waistcoat, and old towel wrapped round everthing to stop it rattling is fitted in the centre of the spare wheel there is not much of a hollow left for the carpet to push into.  My solution was to get a boot liner from ebay.   

There are quite a few genuine Honda ones for sale (although a bit pricey) and lots of other cheaper liners that are tailored to fit.   I found that the boot liner was stiff enough to stop anything loaded into the boot from pushing down into the spare wheel well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 10:28:27 AM by FarNorthJazz »

HF1001

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz S
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 05:05:10 PM »

Do you have the part number for the original foam insert / tool holder for the full size spare tyre or for the space saver tyre? I'm failing to find such a thing (and haven't yet decided whether to go for full sized or space saver) - thank you

Tags: