Author Topic: HR-V Review Whatcar online  (Read 2357 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: HR-V Review Whatcar online
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 07:43:05 AM »
I agree with the notion that hybrids may help to wean people off pure ICEs, but ...
That powertrain can be sold until 2035 here in the UK ...
... isn’t quite true. Current intentions are that the only hybrids that can be sold after 2030 are those that can travel a “significant distance” without tailpipe emissions. There’s still a consultation about what is “significant” but some sources suggest it’ll be around 20-30 miles, which really means PHEVs. The current Honda hybrid powertrain won’t meet that because, firstly, you can’t switch off the ICE so it can run in EV-only mode, and secondly the battery isn’t big enough. From a technical viewpoint they can probably change that, but will they be prepared to invest in development of a technology that’s on its way out just to get an extra 5 years of sales in quite a small UK market?

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 07:50:00 AM »
Also reviewed in Auto Express:

‘The shortage of torque means the engine has to work hard on inclines or during overtakes’!

When the electric motor means full torque is available at zero rpm. The petrol generator engine is just providing electricity.

I can accelerate perfectly fine without revs by using half accelerator and waiting for the constant acceleration.

Chasing the last 20% of performance makes noise temporarily but journalists seem to drive around only using full accelerator.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2021, 12:12:05 PM »
I love the view of the front of the HR-V but the back looks a mess to me and the steeply raked rear window means large boxy items which might easily fit in a Jazz just won't fit in the HR-V. I can see why they did it, to make it look sporty and like a coupe, but no one is going to be fooled.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2021, 12:27:10 PM »
I like the styling with the flat front, but there wouldn’t be any reason for me to change.

The boot is only 10% bigger in the HRV, plus it’s over half a second slower to 60 than the crosstar. A recent review was getting 44mpg too :(
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 01:06:25 PM by sportse »

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2021, 01:10:14 PM »
The clincher for me is likely to be the higher seating position of the passenger seat which will suit my wife much better than the low non height adjustable passenger seat in the Jazz or Crosstar. Crosstar would work for me only if the passenger seat was height adjustable like the driver seat. Pity as otherwise the Crosstar would work for us.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2021, 02:44:01 PM »
The clincher for me is likely to be the higher seating position of the passenger seat which will suit my wife much better than the low non height adjustable passenger seat in the Jazz or Crosstar. Crosstar would work for me only if the passenger seat was height adjustable like the driver seat. Pity as otherwise the Crosstar would work for us.
Are you 100% sure about this?  The reason I ask is that in the early literature it said:
Front Drivers Seat - Manual Height Adjustment
It now says:
Front Seat - Manual Height Adjustment

Specifically it doesn't say seats (in the plural)

I am very keen to know this as it would be a clincher for me too.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2021, 03:22:00 PM »
I know it doesn't answer the specific question re the front passenger seat, but on my dealer launch night the drivers seat at it's lowest was certainly higher than the Crosstar and at full height was even higher than my Karoq.
Demos should be in the dealers very soon will report here as soon as I get my test drive.
Most of them have arrived at Bristol with a further drop at Southampton ETA 26th October. a further boat is on it's way, exiting the Suez canal as i write. ETA Bristol 28th October. Carrying certain colours excluding Khaki Sand (Had to be the colour I ordered!!) ETA 9Th January.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2021, 03:32:57 PM »
As I have the driver's seat on it's highest setting in my Jazz, it's clear that the passenger seat is much lower - it shouldn't cost much to have a height adjustable passenger seat. Sitting next to a passenger it looks weird.

Maybe it's planned for a future model year? Sometimes the manufacturers hold back things so they can add them each year to give people a reason to change their car.

It was strange that there was no wireless charging pad in the Jazz, even as an option. It's available in Japan on the Honda configurator.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 03:36:46 PM »
Maybe it's planned for a future model year? Sometimes the manufacturers hold back things so they can add them each year to give people a reason to change their car.

You mean like Apple do with their phones,  we should be grateful car makers do not issue firmware updates that deliberately slow their cars down like Apple did with their phones  :o
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2021, 04:06:19 PM »
As I have the driver's seat on it's highest setting in my Jazz, it's clear that the passenger seat is much lower - it shouldn't cost much to have a height adjustable passenger seat. Sitting next to a passenger it looks weird.

It was strange that there was no wireless charging pad in the Jazz, even as an option. It's available in Japan on the Honda configurator.
I asked my dealer to double check both driver & passenger seat were height adjustable when he had his launch preview of the HR-V - which I couldn’t get to - he has confirmed that both seats are height adjustable and in his opinion the seating height is particularly elevated. Time will tell when he gets showrooms models to look at.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2021, 06:59:22 PM »
in his opinion the seating height is particularly elevated.
Having sat in one, I would agree with that!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2021, 10:11:32 AM »
in his opinion the seating height is particularly elevated.
Having sat in one, I would agree with that!
Great, looking forward to seeing one in the metal and kicking the tyres!

guest9814

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2021, 10:26:24 AM »
Advertising paddles when it doesn't have any smacks of the reviewer not having actually driven the car.
The e:HEV HR-V does have paddles offering 4 levels of regen.
Jazz have one regeneration paddle too…
But hard to find it :D
And our paddle can change regenerative braking level without any steps…

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2021, 10:35:37 AM »
Advertising paddles when it doesn't have any smacks of the reviewer not having actually driven the car.
The e:HEV HR-V does have paddles offering 4 levels of regen.
Jazz have one regeneration paddle too…
But hard to find it :D
And our paddle can change regenerative braking level without any steps…
I assume you are talking about the brake pedal? 

guest9814

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2021, 11:01:16 AM »
No
I talking about accelerator pedal when B mode activated.

Tags: